Grado Fan Club!
Feb 24, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #23,386 of 65,647
Glad your feeling better jw. As you know, the penalties for anything less than complete fealty to Grado headphones are severe in the extreme.

ahhhhh, i am a glutton for punishment 

Does SOMEONE need a lesson in Grado Appreciation?  (please?  PLEASE?)

(and to think that the button that posts the picture is labeled "Submit!")

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #23,387 of 65,647
Does SOMEONE need a lesson in Grado Appreciation?  (please?  PLEASE?)

(and to think that the button that posts the picture is labeled "Submit!")
Thank you sir. May I have another?

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #23,388 of 65,647
and then the thread spiraled out of control !  

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #23,389 of 65,647
Oh, come on JW, the Thread is going 50 shades of Grado :flushed:.....

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #23,390 of 65,647

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #23,391 of 65,647

When I didn't hear a difference so clear that I was convinced that I would reliably flag it in a blind test, I gave a tie, which indeed was the case you pointed to (1.5 to each).  That particular feature was not only hearing the bass, but feeling it... not even the HD 800, which wins in the trio, comes close to other headphones such as the HiFiMAN HE-500 for that particular feature (or any of the Beats, for that manner).  Things pertaining to bass clarity rather than intensity are captured by the (other) feature of being able to discern the pitch of the complicated bass line to the point of being able to sing or transcribe it.

But for some strange reason, my PS1000 suffered in the bass from an odd distortion, sounding like clipping, that occurred on that opening chord of the organ entrance on the Saint Saens Organ Symphony, 4th movement I think it is.  It didn't occur for  either the RS-1i or the HD 800, and it DID occur regardless of what amp (and for that matter, what source) I used to drive the PS1000.

That cost the PS-1000 a point on that "ripping organ" feature and in the total score.  Perhaps it is unique to my particular PS1000 (which is STILL my most listened-to headphone).  Perhaps if you can find the Charles Munch Boston Symphony Orchestra recording ("Living Stereo" series... happens to also be on Beats Music, though I was using a CD) you can try it with your PS1000s.  I only noticed it n a side-by-side comparison with something else, in my case the RS-1i and the HD 800.  It also does NOT occur on another recording of the same piece that I have, conducted by Lorin Maazel.

I'm sure that the PS1000e would have faired much better with the pipe organ music, you're referring to. The new PS1000e reproduces music in an even more effortless way, than the ''old'' ones. 

Do you mean you actually recorded her live on tape or made a tape of selected tracks from her cd's?

I recorded my favorite tracks from 4 of her remastered CDs on a 7'' reel tape.

By the way, the sound is pretty good, but it doesn't match the sound quality of my Pioneer RT-1020L reel to reel tape recorder, but hey!, I paid $10 for my Akai 4000 DS MK II at a garage sale, so I can't complain too much
wink.gif

I just love watching those big 10 1/2'' reels spin on my Pioneer. Believe it or not, the reason I got interested in reel to reel, is because of a scene in the movie Pulp Fiction, during wich, Uma Thurman starts up a Teac SX2000 RTR, and begins to dance to, Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon, and ends up overdosing on John Travolta's couch. gripping!, to say the least.

Warning1, if you look that scene up, on You Toobz, you run the risk of getting hooked on RTR's like I did.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #23,392 of 65,647
Feb 24, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #23,393 of 65,647
  well, i've been out of commision for a few days, had a good case of the icks, chills, stuffy head crap, just now shaking loose !
so whats crack-a-lacking gradophiles ? 
y'all know the first rule about "the dark side" 

I am not surprised that you pulled through, I have always known that the force is strong with you, young Grado Jedi
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #23,394 of 65,647

LOL!!!

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #23,395 of 65,647

I am not surprised that you pulled through, I have always known that the force is strong with you, young Grado Jedi
very_evil_smiley.gif

lol, i USED feel young, 
the brain thinks i'm still young, the body has other ideas ! 

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #23,396 of 65,647
  lol, i USED feel young, 
the brain thinks i'm still young, the body has other ideas ! 

Join the club, and having Crohn's desiese doesn't help, some days, I feel more like Yoda, than a Jedi.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #23,397 of 65,647
  Could it possibly be something in the recording, and not distortion, that neither the RS1i/HD-800 didn't reveal?

You know, maybe it is!  That particular recording, Saint Saens Symphony No. 3, The Organ Symphony (Charles Munch, Boston Symphony), part of the RCA "Living Stereo" series, was identified on another thread as being one of the best most exciting recordings for headphones.

But I find it almost flat and monaural, with limited soundstage, a muffled sound, and some distortions.  Performance is great, but technical quality, at least for me, is poor.

The Lorin Maazel recording of the same work, with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, is better, but I could not find it on anything other than iTunes (mild lossy compression), so I didn't use it.  Since then I found it on a CD and it arrived today, so I will go back to using it (I did use it for my 10 other 3-say comparisons).  (And I already checked... NO distortion at that point through PS1000s.)

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #23,398 of 65,647
  I just love watching those big 10 1/2'' reels spin on my Pioneer. Believe it or not, the reason I got interested in reel to reel, is because of a scene in the movie Pulp Fiction, during wich, Uma Thurman starts up a Teac SX2000 RTR, and begins to dance to, Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon

Funny you mentioned this…I watched Pulpl Fiction about a month ago, and when that scene came on, I immediately thought of you having a RTR!

Since then I found it on a CD and it arrived today, so I will go back to using it (I did use it for my 10 other 3-say comparisons).  (And I already checked... NO distortion at that point through PS1000s.)

So it was the PS1K's revealing what was in that particular recordings quality, but now on the Cd theres no more distortion…so I would have to think the PS's are more revealing then, no?                           

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #23,399 of 65,647
  Funny you mentioned this…I watched Pulpl Fiction about a month ago, and when that scene came on, I immediately thought of you having a RTR!

So it was the PS1K's revealing what was in that particular recordings quality, but now on the Cd theres no more distortion…so I would have to think the PS's are more revealing then, no?                           

I am thinking that there is indeed distortion on the Charles Munch CD, discerned only by the PS1000s.  There is no distortion on the Lorin Maazel recording, a completely different one.

I bet I can find a pair of PS1000es in my audio store to check to see if the Munch recording has that same distortion heard by the PS1000e!

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #23,400 of 65,647

I am thinking that there is indeed distortion on the Charles Munch CD, discerned only by the PS1000s.  There is no distortion on the Lorin Maazel recording, a completely different one.

I bet I can find a pair of PS1000es in my audio store to check to see if the Munch recording has that same distortion heard by the PS1000e!

That would be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back