Grado Fan Club!
Mar 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #2,056 of 65,854

Sanwich prices are becoming steep in Melbourne too - not uncommon to get slapped $11AUD for a sandwich, even more if you're at the Grand Prix
or at the snow.

Just a tip for you guys if you ever head down under to either Sydney or Melbourne.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #2,057 of 65,854

Quote:

PCF, did you say you live in Cupertino? I'm from San Jose and I went to Cupertino High School actually. Class of '07.

We moved to Cupertino from Los Altos in 2005 mainly for the schools. You went to the right place for your education mate. 
normal_smile .gif

I'm in London now but still have tons of friends in California. Will go back for a visit at some point.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #2,058 of 65,854

Quote:
We moved to Cupertino from Los Altos in 2005 mainly for the schools. You went to the right place for your education mate. 
normal_smile%20.gif

I'm in London now but still have tons of friends in California. Will go back for a visit at some point.

Bring the HP1's and I'll buy the pizza and beer mate :)

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #2,059 of 65,854
Mar 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #2,060 of 65,854
After only two weeks with my new PS-500,i went to the Montréal sound and image festival yesterday,and there was a pair of PS-1000 for peoples to try,well,that was all i needed to make the move,i phone my salesman and asked him to order me a pair,now i'll be like a kid on Christmas eve until they get here.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,061 of 65,854
Quote:
After only two weeks with my new PS-500,i went to the Montréal sound and image festival yesterday,and thre was a pair of PS-1000 for peoples to try,well,that was all i needed to make the move,i phone my salesman and asked him to order me a pair,now i'll be like a kid on Christmas eve until they get here.

Oh ****, the Salon, son & Image Montréal Hi-Fi show... I missed it.

:frowning2: it completely slipped my mind. Dang I would have had an opportunity to listen to it!

The weather was beautiful I would have worn my HP2, lol

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2,062 of 65,854
Quote:
Speaking of diminishing returns, just got some PS-500 two weeks ago,i love them,but today i still couldn't stop myself from calleing my salesmen and order some PS-1000,my friends call me crazy,but i prefer to think of myself as passionnate.

Cool, I wonder which finish it'll be... the newer SR325is are powder coating finished like the PS500.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2,063 of 65,854

Quote:
Quote:

Cool, I wonder which finish it'll be... the newer SR325is are powder coating finished like the PS500.

I'm betting it will be chrome city 
smile.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,064 of 65,854
Hey guys wanted to share my experience I had with my Grado yesterday.

I was looking in my local Salvation Army store for some music and stumbled upon a Top Gun Soundtrack on cd for a couple dollars.  The case and disc looked brand new, so I bought it to compare with my record.

After I got home I ripped it with EAC to flac and checked the dynamic range which scored a 10.  Really good compared to today's cd's.
So I start listening with my SR80i's and instantly it makes may feet tap, but no goosebumps.  I continue listening and by the time the last two songs get there I'm ready for the thing to be over.  The Top Gun Anthem sounds really good on the cd but half way through the song I was starting to get a headache.  I wanted it to stop!

So I put on the record and started it at the Top Gun Anthem song... Instantly the hair raising and goosebumps were back.  It was like two entirely different Grado headphones.  I really wasn't expecting so much of a difference.  The cd version was how most people describe the SR80i, it was sort of harsh and ear-piercing and I almost didn't make it through the entire disc.  The vinyl version on the other hand was how people describe RS1's, smooth high's, liquid sounding guitars and vocals, very musical, and deeper bass with much more impact.

I can't believe the difference, if an SR80i sounds this good with vinyl I would probably die instantly if I heard an RS1.  I wish I could make my pc sound like my turntable because it's much more convenient.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2,065 of 65,854

Quote:

I can't believe the difference, if an SR80i sounds this good with vinyl I would probably die instantly if I heard an RS1.  I wish I could make my pc sound like my turntable because it's much more convenient.

It will never exactly sound like good quality wax, however there are huge improvements to be had if you pursue the path
 of getting yourself a really high quality DAC that has a rep' for musicality and a very analogue type of sound.

I also highly recommend delving into the world of USB to SPDIF converters as this will help heaps with reproducing
 a natural sound via the laptop as a base station.

Admittedly, all of this does not come cheap but it is do-able.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,066 of 65,854

Quote:
 It will never exactly sound like good quality wax, however there are huge improvements to be had if you pursue the path
 of getting yourself a really high quality DAC that has a rep' for musicality and a very analogue type of sound.

I also highly recommend delving into the world of USB to SPDIF converters as this will help heaps with reproducing
 a natural sound via the laptop as a base station.

Admittedly, all of this does not come cheap but it is do-able.

I do have a Toshiba HD-A1 I use sometimes for CD's and it sounds much better than the E7's DAC but it is still very sterile compared to the vinyl.

I've been looking at the Music Streamer II DAC ,which is also USB, but I've heard it doesn't play well with the E9.  2.25 Vrms into 2.1 Vrms.  My PC does have a Coaxial and Optical out also, it's a Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard:

Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF out ports at back panel

Sorry about getting off-topic, I only want my Grado's to sound the best they can on a PC.  I'm really regretting the Fiio combo now.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2,068 of 65,854

Quote:
Hey, I am new here, and I have questions about the L-cush. Is it uncomfortable and would upgrading to the G-cush? Thanks.

The L cush can be uncomfortable for some but I fixed that with the shack hack mod (radio shack sells replacement pads similar to flats) you cut them out and put them in the middle. I suppose you could use the middle of flats. Still an expensive route for earpads. I haven't sued the G cush.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #2,069 of 65,854

Quote:
I do have a Toshiba HD-A1 I use sometimes for CD's and it sounds much better than the E7's DAC but it is still very sterile compared to the vinyl.

I've been looking at the Music Streamer II DAC ,which is also USB, but I've heard it doesn't play well with the E9.  2.25 Vrms into 2.1 Vrms.  My PC does have a Coaxial and Optical out also, it's a Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard:

Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF out ports at back panel

Sorry about getting off-topic, I only want my Grado's to sound the best they can on a PC.  I'm really regretting the Fiio combo now.

Know what you mean man - I can still recall finally getting around to hearing the Fiio E7 / E9 combo for the first time and just remaining dumb founded as to why everyone
 was going nuts over the combo. Yes, it's cheap but it does not sound great at all.

Burson DS Dac/Amp is a good one for the cash. Sells for under $700 here in it's home city. DAC inside is a PCM1793 Burr Brown.
 it is also has a smooth sliding pot, no crunchy stepped volume control like on the Burson 160D.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #2,070 of 65,854

Quote:

Oh ****, the Salon, son & Image Montréal Hi-Fi show... I missed it.

:frowning2: it completely slipped my mind. Dang I would have had an opportunity to listen to it!

The weather was beautiful I would have worn my HP2, lol

You didn't miss it,it's this weekend,March 23-24-25,and Sunday is the last day,so you better hurry,by the way,if you go,keep you're eyes peeled,because,the PS-1000 are at a small stand that sells cd's,right in front of the Sony room,they're only there to give the oportunity for potential consumers to listen to what they're selling.

Oh! and while i'm at it,i've been a fan of the GS-1000 since they came out,and,according to John Grado,the distant midrange was necessary to create the illusion of a bigger soundstage,if you ask me,he succeded big time,i love watching DVD concerts with mine.

And about my PS-1000,i specifically asked for the cromed ones,i love that bling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back