Grado Fan Club!
Mar 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2,071 of 66,291

Quote:

You didn't miss it,it's this weekend,March 23-24-25,and Sunday is the last day,so you better hurry,by the way,if you go,keep you're eyes peeled,because,the PS-1000 are at a small stand that sells cd's,right in front of the Sony room,they're only there to give the oportunity for potential consumers to listen to what they're selling.

Is it Grado themselves or a major reseller representing the PS1000's? Thought Johnny G did not do HiFi shows anymore..

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2,072 of 66,291

Know what you mean man - I can still recall finally getting around to hearing the Fiio E7 / E9 combo for the first time and just remaining dumb founded as to why everyone
 was going nuts over the combo. Yes, it's cheap but it does not sound great at all.

Burson DS Dac/Amp is a good one for the cash. Sells for under $700 here in it's home city. DAC inside is a PCM1793 Burr Brown.
 it is also has a smooth sliding pot, no crunchy stepped volume control like on the Burson 160D.

Burson is nice, but don't buy it for a Grado. It has a 5.6ohm output impedance, I've tried it with Ultrasone PRO2900 and AKG K81 and it sounds off. You'll want a higher impedance headphone for the Burson.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #2,073 of 66,291

Quote:
Burson is nice, but don't buy it for a Grado. It has a 5.6ohm output impedance, I've tried it with Ultrasone PRO2900 and AKG K81 and it sounds off. You'll want a higher impedance headphone for the Burson.

5.6ohms is a little high, still it does not stop a heap of Aussies down here running one with their Grado, know of two blokes
 who are happy as larry with their 325i and 160D - it's not ideal but there's a lot of amps out there around that mark.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #2,075 of 66,291

Quote:
 Is it Grado themselves or a major reseller representing the PS1000's? Thought Johnny G did not do HiFi shows anymore..

I'ts not Grado,it's a guy that sells cd's

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #2,076 of 66,291

Speaking of tasty amps - I see no one on here has yet had the luck (or cash $$$) to play with this new ECP Audio L2
 amplifier (found nothing through Head-Fi search) - it's currently on review with Tyll's Innerfidelity.

Looks impressive, probably one of the most interesting tube hybrids out there pity the price is also a major knee
 to the nether regions. According to the Tyll man it's got cracking synergy with Grado.

$2495

ECP Audio L-2 - Hand made by some clever chaps out of Chicago.

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #2,079 of 66,291
Quote:
You didn't miss it,it's this weekend,March 23-24-25,and Sunday is the last day,so you better hurry,by the way,if you go,keep you're eyes peeled,because,the PS-1000 are at a small stand that sells cd's,right in front of the Sony room,they're only there to give the oportunity for potential consumers to listen to what they're selling.

Oh! and while i'm at it,i've been a fan of the GS-1000 since they came out,and,according to John Grado,the distant midrange was necessary to create the illusion of a bigger soundstage,if you ask me,he succeded big time,i love watching DVD concerts with mine.

And about my PS-1000,i specifically asked for the cromed ones,i love that bling!

Bah now I have missed it :wink:, I couldn't go this Sunday. It's okay I can always trace back that guy or find a PS1000 in one of the Hi-Fi stores because, hey, I live in Montréal now and they have those kind of things.

I wonder what motivated John Grado into giving us soundstage. He felt like he had maxed out sound quality on the RS so he needed to improve upon other things? Personally I can't pinpoint soundstage yet, and tell if this or that headphone has it. It's so confounding, imaging, soundstage, positioning, instrument separation, field of perception... but it seems that at equal sound quality, details, balance, only soundstage is left to tell apart two headphones in strengths.

Tell me about your PS1000, because it will be my next Grado headphone... well in a distant future it will be, but it's still the Grado I'm looking forward and reading about. I also like the chrome secretly, even though the finish looks fragile in comparison to their previous finishes (there is two of them, the usual ultra-fine matte and an in between matte and chrome, the satin silver one, which looks to be the rarest).

Satin finish

More reflexive of the light, than matte

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2,080 of 66,291
I should get the PS-1000 by the end of this week,and i will post my impressions,once i've compared to the ones i have.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2,081 of 66,291

Quote:
I should get the PS-1000 by the end of this week,and i will post my impressions,once i've compared to the ones i have.

I'd love to hear how they compare to the PS500s...pre-congrats on the cans!

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #2,082 of 66,291

@Stacker45

Hope you love them as much as the rest of us on the main PS1000 thread - would be good to see more deserved exposure for them.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2,083 of 66,291
Quote:
Sounds like a tumulteous love affair Nick - thought the distant mids were proving quite difficult?

The distant mids weren't as annoying as the screeching treble. But for some strange reason, they sound sooo good to me now, I no longer hear distant mid and aggressive treble. Not sure if it's due to the GS1000i having fully burnt in by now, or my brain and ears have adjusted to them accordingly.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #2,084 of 66,291

Quote:
Quote:

The distant mids weren't as annoying as the screeching treble. But for some strange reason, they sound sooo good to me now, I no longer hear distant mid and aggressive treble. Not sure if it's due to the GS1000i having fully burnt in by now, or my brain and ears have adjusted to them accordingly.

Never had a beef myself with the PS1000's treble, but I do notice quite strongly when swapping between the PS1000 and RS1i in terms of mids presentation.

Sometimes it feels overwhelmingly forward on the RS1i with certain recordings after a stint on the big chromies. It's all about the brain and perception.

On occasion it's quite welcome eg, Any Keith Richards or 'The Smiths' that for some reason were always distantly mik'd - but I'm quite atuned to the
 PS1000 mids goodness now. Good to hear the big woodie is finally coming around for you, perhaps different material and/or a source change has played
 a part to boot.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #2,085 of 66,291

Quote:

@Stacker45

Hope you love them as much as the rest of us on the main PS1000 thread - would be good to see more deserved exposure for them.

I'm sure i will,i can't wait to compare them to my GS-1000, because,if they do everything better than the the GS,i'm going to put them up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back