Grado Fan Club!
Sep 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #18,706 of 66,282
  Boating trip yesterday was awesome!!! Also, I am now sitting in my room, making some music, and the MS2i's are perfect!!!

1) Serious picture...

2) Not so serious picture

I can't compete with that! But, I've had a great weekend paddling on the Potomac in Washington with late September temperatures in the 80's with low humidity. Getting some Grado time now.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #18,707 of 66,282
Once I receive from our prolific Grado Fan Club poster wormsdriver the SR80 that I bought from him (due this week), I will have, simultaneously at my disposal for my listening pleasure, the Grado...

1. SR60
  2. SR80
  3. SR125
  4. SR225
  5. SR325
  6. PS500
  7. RS1i

I may even have TWO RS1s, one the RS1 with wooden buttons (on its way from Greece to me in a trade) and one the RS1i, new, as is now sold, without buttons.

I plan to exploit this confluence of coincident constellations for all that its worth!  Specifically, I plan to conduct comparative listening / comfort / appearance comparisons of the seven headphones (as steps to earn my way to owning the GS1000 and/or PS1000!).

My understanding of the Grado line has been enlightened by our contributor Claritas, whom I met at a headphone meet last June and who has educated me on the differences of several Grado headphone designs.

I will (at least) conduct the rather systematic listening tests that I have used to rank trios of headphones so far, as shown here:

High Score is Best

These scores are the result of ranking trios of headphones based on their relative performance on each of 10 listening tests as described here. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/704826/how-do-you-audition-compare-headphones#post_10340917

I will compare the Grados in groups of three, as well as including one or two of the non-Grado headphones shown here to provide anchor points.  I will also try to arrive at an overall rank ordering, based on combining these three-way rankings.

But what else would you like to see?  If you are a person considering the purchase of your first or next Grado and are trying to decide which model is for you, what else would you want to know about?

1. Price
  2. Comfort
  3. Appearance
  4. Ease of use?

Let me know, and I would be glad to try to compare on that basis as well.

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #18,708 of 66,282
  hello with my sr225e :)

Congrats!

What do you think?  How do they sound?  Pic?

And, welcome to the club.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #18,709 of 66,282
I don't know how you do it, if there is one thing I hate, it's comparing headphones. I hate having to interrup a song to switch headphones. I just finished comparing the PS1000 with the new ''e'' model, and once I was set on wich I preferred, I just sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed, in this case it ended up being my old PS1000.

The opinions I have formed about my headphones over the years, have been formed through casual listening, and with one pair per listening session. The only time I compare headphones is when I want to give a new model a try.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #18,710 of 66,282
  I don't know how you do it, if there is one thing I hate, it's comparing headphones. I hate having to interrup a song to switch headphones. I just finished comparing the PS1000 with the new ''e'' model, and once I was set on wich I preferred, I just sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed, in this case it ended up being my old PS1000.

The opinions I have formed about my headphones over the years, have been formed through casual listening, and with one pair per listening session. The only time I compare headphones is when I want to give a new model a try.

Yeah, I hate it too... I tell myself I am helping others.  But such comparisons have three degrees of difficulty:

• One source or amp, one headphone, one pair of ears... have to switch one headphone with the other at the plug, switch them on your head, then run the source material back to where it was on the first pair;
  • Two pairs of headphones, one source amp with two plugs (like the Sennheiser HDVD 800), and one pair of ears... need not switch headphone plugs, but still have to switch them on your head;
  • Two pairs of headphones, two identical amps or sources, and run the source material either in parallel or with the second one you listen to running one listening interval worth of seconds behind the other, so when you switch headphones (yep... still gotta do that!) it is playing at where you heard the first pair.

Ideally, you could have two listeners (Hey Harvey I think this sounds really cool in the bass but has sibilance in the treble... what do you think on your headphones?) but I think John and Harvey hear differently enough that no one would trust the comparison.

It helps (only a little) that I am simply trying to rank order whether A does (for example) soundstage better than B ( Relative comparison), not whether A has the best soundstage ever heard (an Absolute comparison)).

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #18,711 of 66,282
Don't get me wrong, Ithink that what you are doing is very helpfull, I'm just saying that I hate doing comparisons. Also many people suffer from the placebo effect, it's newer, it's more expensive, therrfore it has to be better, why, because Grado said so.

Pesonally, I dont care about all these things, I mean, the RS1 is probably THE most liked headphones that Grado makes, and I prefer the half as expensive, Bushmills X. again, not steps forward, but side steps, that may, or may not, suit your existing equipement, and or tastes. 

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #18,712 of 66,282
Oh I'd love to find a pair of Bushmills ! Seem really rare.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #18,714 of 66,282
That is just spectacular!
Just looking at the scenery takes me to a different state of mind…I can't imagine how it would feel to be there in real life!
Awesome for you to have such an experience
beerchug.gif

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/85/100x100px-LS-8579e0e9_129861-HeadPhone+Avatar.jpg[/img]
  1. Loving[MAX]Sound
  2. /custom/huddle/headfi/img/badges/badge_100.v1509773630.png
  4. offline
  1. 295 Posts. Joined 8/2009
  2. Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Boating trip yesterday was awesome!!! Also, I am now sitting in my room, making some music, and the MS2i's are perfect!!!

1) Serious picture...

www.skylaneofficial.bandcamp.com

Home Listening:          Aviation Headsets:       
Grado SR80               David Clark X13.4
Grado SR80i              BOSE A20 (with Bluetooth)
Grado RS1i        
Grado PS500
Grado GS1000

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #18,715 of 66,282
  That is just spectacular!
Just looking at the scenery takes me to a different state of mind…I can't imagine how it would feel to be there in real life!
Awesome for you to have such an experience
beerchug.gif

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/85/100x100px-LS-8579e0e9_129861-HeadPhone+Avatar.jpg[/img]
  1. Loving[MAX]Sound
  2. /custom/huddle/headfi/img/badges/badge_100.v1509773630.png
  4. offline
  1. 295 Posts. Joined 8/2009
  2. Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

1) Serious picture...

www.skylaneofficial.bandcamp.com

Home Listening:          Aviation Headsets:       
Grado SR80               David Clark X13.4
Grado SR80i              BOSE A20 (with Bluetooth)
Grado RS1i        
Grado PS500
Grado GS1000

The feeling of being close to such an amazing natural feature is incredible. The noise the ice makes when it is calving is just WOW!

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #18,716 of 66,282
L[M]S    Those pics are wonderful

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #18,717 of 66,282
Sep 29, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #18,718 of 66,282
New Grado fan here.  Enjoying my SR80i with Scush, Lcush and Sennpads.  From here, I wonder what is the better SR upgrade?  SR225 or SR325?  Both are being sold used about $150.  Ofcourse, logic dicates to get the higher model 325 for a sweet deal, but I hear that the 225 is much better.  Any advise?

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #18,720 of 66,282
New Grado fan here.  Enjoying my SR80i with Scush, Lcush and Sennpads.  From here, I wonder what is the better SR upgrade?  SR225 or SR325?  Both are being sold used about $150.  Ofcourse, logic dicates to get the higher model 325 for a sweet deal, but I hear that the 225 is much better.  Any advise?

325 with G cush pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back