Grado Fan Club!
Sep 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #18,677 of 66,281
  Dear head-fi,

I've been following this forum for years, but only the IEMs. Now I'm looking to purchase a set of full-size headphones and have been in this forum a couple of months. Had the Creative Aurvana Live! before, but I'm definately looking for a step up. They were nice but didn't WOW me. If it's ok with you, I would like to ask you if you know which phones suit my music taste.

SO! Grado appears to be amazing. Problem is that I am on a budget and need a headphones that's a bit all-round also. Max budget is €125.

Would like:
- headphones will crystal highs and airy (loved the highs on my Vsonic VC02, better than the ones on my Zero Audio Tenores)
- I listen to triphop (nujabes, emancipator), theatrical (enya, cirque du soleil), arctic monkeys, editors, depeche mode, hiphop and some electronic.
- would be nice if it didn't leak TOO much sound, but it's not the deciding factor
- pretty mobile
- easy to drive from iphone or laptop, will invest in amps later

If I had to choose a single artist that I would build my musical preference around, it would be Enya.

Grado SR60i or Alessandro MS1? Any other recommendations could also change my life. Help is very appreciated.

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you.

Any of the low-end Grados (SR60 / SR80 / MS1) should be fine. Get some Grado L cushion pads to go with them and you'll enjoy a more detailed, airier sound, a wider soundstage and tighter bass.

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #18,680 of 66,281
New Thom Yorke album released free through bittorrent:

https://bundles.bittorrent.com/bundles/d0b4beba8efc4b46f6dba119b511a5b2d5cabc96168c0dc097ee9d514059ab63

Sounds great on my Grados.  As for the music itself I do not have an opinion yet. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #18,681 of 66,281
Sep 27, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #18,682 of 66,281
  Dear head-fi,

I've been following this forum for years, but only the IEMs. Now I'm looking to purchase a set of full-size headphones and have been in this forum a couple of months. Had the Creative Aurvana Live! before, but I'm definately looking for a step up. They were nice but didn't WOW me. If it's ok with you, I would like to ask you if you know which phones suit my music taste.

SO! Grado appears to be amazing. Problem is that I am on a budget and need a headphones that's a bit all-round also. Max budget is €125.

Would like:
- headphones will crystal highs and airy (loved the highs on my Vsonic VC02, better than the ones on my Zero Audio Tenores)
- I listen to triphop (nujabes, emancipator), theatrical (enya, cirque du soleil), arctic monkeys, editors, depeche mode, hiphop and some electronic.
- would be nice if it didn't leak TOO much sound, but it's not the deciding factor
- pretty mobile
- easy to drive from iphone or laptop, will invest in amps later

If I had to choose a single artist that I would build my musical preference around, it would be Enya.

Grado SR60i or Alessandro MS1? Any other recommendations could also change my life. Help is very appreciated.

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you.

I would have to agree with @Textfeud about the MS1. I listen to a bunch of Trip-Hop as well, but my setup is not mobile whatsoever. I have the SR80i with S-Cush, but given the reputation of the MS1 in comparison to the SR80, I would say go with the Alessandro model. Check in the FS/FT section of Head-Fi, there were a bunch of Alessandro headphones on there for a while.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #18,683 of 66,281
At home on a beautiful Saturday night listening through my Grado's, trying to jam and catch a couple of Joe B's notes, truly blessed and lucky.

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #18,684 of 66,281
At home on a beautiful Saturday night listening through my Grado's, trying to jam and catch a couple of Joe B's notes, truly blessed and lucky.

Nice! Rock on!

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #18,685 of 66,281

Great pic bpcans  
smile.gif

Bend those strings!

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #18,686 of 66,281
Nice! Rock on!
Great pic bpcans  :smile:

Bend those strings!
Thanks L[M]S and whirlwind. In my age addled and slightly debilitated mental condition I sometimes imagine myself keeping pace with SRV, EC, and Buddy Guy. But it always good to know a couple Johnny Cash and Garth Brooks songs so people won't think that your some kind of retard.

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #18,687 of 66,281
Sep 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #18,688 of 66,281
I am willing to bet that I have THE most eclectic CD collection of the whole Dark Side community. Here are two names, just to give you an idea of how broad it is, brace yourselves, Lady Gaga and Engelbert Humperdink.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #18,689 of 66,281

Quote:
  I am willing to bet that I have THE most eclectic CD collection of the whole Dark Side community. Here are two names, just to give you an idea of how broad it is, brace yourselves, Lady Gaga and Engelbert Humperdink.

Oh yeah...

How about a Kristin Chenoweth Cristmas Album, Mel Torme, and the entire Opeth catalogue!

This could be fun- I hope everyone chips in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back