Grado Fan Club!
Jul 17, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #16,981 of 65,841

Jay- what was your experience with the GSi?

I'm at a point that I don't really know what to think about the GSe.  I am wowed by it, but I'm not sure if it's euphoria or a realistic reaction.  I do notice that not much is written about the GS at all- it's like it disappeared from Head-fi for the most part.

Any other owners of a 'GS' headphone, please chime in!

edit: my reaction and impressions are already locked-in.  I'm just interested in other opinions before I post it over the weekend.

yeah, it seems to be "forgotten" like the 125,
i love the gs's, the original, and the i, i didn't have both at the same time, so i can't really say if there was much, it any difference sound wise
but as for the sound in general, i think the gs is one of the best headphones i've ever heard, i think its a much better value than the ps1000
where the sound of the rs1i is more subtle, and is appreciated more over time, the gs grabbed me from the get-go !
i can't wait get the gs1ke .

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #16,982 of 65,841

Are they RedEyes? (red drivers)

No they don't look to have the new driver. The serial number is 3846 & as they're probably a customer return (due to the pad ?)were probably made some time ago. Still dont know whether thats a good or bad thing, is the PS500e an improvement ? or just a different flavour.

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #16,983 of 65,841

Gah 
mad.gif
  I had my eye on one of those earlier in the week and when I checked today both had gone!

They were a great price, you got a deal!

Thanks. How did you resist ?

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #16,985 of 65,841
Jul 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #16,986 of 65,841
Great find, enjoy!

I must admit i do have trouble with your statement calling them "technically obsolete", as an owner of the 2nd version of the RS-1, and very early PS1000. They might sound different from the newer models, but they're never obsolete
beerchug.gif

Now go forth and enjoy those headphones
biggrin.gif

Sorry worded that incorrectly. I simply meant they're now older, recently replaced, models and that doesn't really bother me, if headphone sounds right it always will always sound right. I certainly intend to enjoy them.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #16,987 of 65,841
Jay- what was your experience with the GSi?

I'm at a point that I don't really know what to think about the GSe.  I am wowed by it, but I'm not sure if it's euphoria or a realistic reaction.  I do notice that not much is written about the GS at all- it's like it disappeared from Head-fi for the most part.

edit: my reaction and impressions are already locked-in.  I'm just interested in other opinions before I post it over the weekend.

I traded with a friend for a few days a while ago. GS1ki is the least colored of the line up (haven't heard PS1ki yet). Compared with all the others, it has a lot of mid-bass and much less peaky in the treble. It's not neutral though, more of a V-shape. It has surprisingly decent soundstage and is really just about grain-free and smooth. I could kind of listen to piano on it because it wasn't so colored. It plays chamber music very well because the bass picks up the cello and the treble picks up the violin and the soundstage is only maybe twice as large as a live chamber ensemble. Definitely a niche headphone, but dreamy for a string player.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #16,988 of 65,841
I traded with a friend for a few days a while ago. GS1ki is the least colored of the line up (haven't heard PS1ki yet). Compared with all the others, it has a lot of mid-bass and much less peaky in the treble. It's not neutral though, more of a V-shape. It has surprisingly decent soundstage and is really just about grain-free and smooth. I could kind of listen to piano on it because it wasn't so colored. It plays chamber music very well because the bass picks up the cello and the treble picks up the violin and the soundstage is only maybe twice as large as a live chamber ensemble. Definitely a niche headphone, but dreamy for a string player.

Thanks.  That's a pretty good summary.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #16,990 of 65,841

I really enjoy my GS1000i. Soundstage is good,  of course. But also the depth of detailing at lower volumes. No need to crank it up. Comfy too, probably the most comfy of all HPs of that calibre. Great for my symphonic tracks, as it is a master at sorting out the distinct musical lines but keeps the "forest" in sight. I had my dealer put on a 4pin bal plug, so I can run it out of a BHA-1 amp. An...OMG. Musicality supremo. Enuff said.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #16,991 of 65,841
Yeah, the quality of the GS at low volume is mind—boggling. Glad it's not just me!

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #16,992 of 65,841
It is a PS Audio Nuwave

Yea....RIP Johnny....I saw him as a special guest on a concert on AXS not long ago...he played, but you could tell he was really hurting.

He was a great player and will be missed by many.
Love your rig WW! What do you store your music on? I too was lucky enough to have seen Johnny Winter a couple of times. Seeing is believing, what a showman! The man could out and out play.

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #16,993 of 65,841

It is a PS Audio Nuwave

Nice DAC. The specs read like a dream list. Thanks for the pics.
smily_headphones1.gif

You are welcome

It is a PS Audio Nuwave

Yea....RIP Johnny....I saw him as a special guest on a concert on AXS not long ago...he played, but you could tell he was really hurting.

He was a great player and will be missed by many.

Love your rig WW! What do you store your music on? I too was lucky enough to have seen Johnny Winter a couple of times. Seeing is believing, what a showman! The man could out and out play.

Thanks.....All my music is ripped to flac and stored on my 2TB  hard drive on my pc.

Consider yourself lucky to get to see him.....I never did...but would have loved to.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #16,994 of 65,841
EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT! Actually, not that crazy new, actually it is for Montreal folks in this group. Want a band new PS500? Audioville has I believe two left, and they want to clear them out. 500$ each plus tax, that is 500$ CDN...

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #16,995 of 65,841
Also, while at Audioville, I finally got to listen to the PS1000's, not the e series though. I like them, but the GS1000 in my opinion treats the music more kindly. Hm... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back