Grado Fan Club!
Jul 16, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #16,951 of 65,691
The Trilogy soundtrack is amazing. Cowboy Bebop (anime) has a fantastic Jazzy soundtrack if you enjoy Jazz. Soundtracks these days are remarkable a fair bit of the time, too many to list off sometimes.

I happen to own the complete Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, with the exception of a vinyl single. It's fantastic, but very expensive for the box set, and first pressing of "future blues".
It's something i'm quite proud of having :D

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #16,952 of 65,691

isn't orange goblin a spider man villain??  
wink_face.gif

Stoner rock for evah.....no that's stone dead forever (Motorhead)....nevermind
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #16,953 of 65,691
I find your steadfast opinion on the RS1's to be a breath of fresh air sir.

Oh good, because the past two days I have spent with the GS1000e's makes that opinion even stronger. Get ready for a veritable gale of fresh air!

In fact- here's a teaser just for this thread: at low volume, between 60 and 80 dB's, these are the finest music-producers-drivers I have ever heard.  I just did a quick shoot-out between them and the Alpha Dogs, and the dogs have finally been bested.  For me, which is saying a lot considering how much I love the Alpha's.

Now- that's volume matched at conversation level.  Above 80 dB's, and it's a whole different story.

I am flat-out stunned at what I am experiencing at low volumes with these headphones.  In fact, if I wrote what I actually think, even the cable-swapping guys would call me a subjective nut job...

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #16,954 of 65,691
Oh good, because the past two days I have spent with the GS1000e's makes that opinion even stronger. Get ready for a veritable gale of fresh air!

In fact- here's a teaser just for this thread: at low volume, between 60 and 80 dB's, these are the finest music-producers-drivers I have ever heard.  I just did a quick shoot-out between them and the Alpha Dogs, and the dogs have finally been bested.  For me, which is saying a lot considering how much I love the Alpha's.

Now- that's volume matched at conversation level.  Above 80 dB's, and it's a whole different story.

I am flat-out stunned at what I am experiencing at low volumes with these headphones.  In fact, if I wrote what I actually think, even the cable-swapping guys would call me a subjective nut job...

Have you ever heard the GS1000 or GS1000i? Is there that much differnce with the e?

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #16,955 of 65,691

Have you ever heard the GS1000 or GS1000i? Is there that much differnce with the e?

Sadly, I have not.  Believe me, I will be anxiously waiting for a consensus on the differences.  This is my first experience with a GS Grado.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #16,956 of 65,691
A pic or two would be very very interesting. Especially of that fancy 596 rectifier.
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem, I will post some photos later with the 596.

Good for you Joseph, I am happy for you that you are back to where you want to be.  
smile.gif

Thank very much whirlwind, it feels good to be back were I was!
beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #16,957 of 65,691

As noted by someone else before there were dozens of variables, including possibly bad test tones or measurement errors on my part- I probably shouldn't have opened my fat trap ^_^
Still, I have noticed some speakers giving what appears to be more accurate pitch (I've confirmed with some of my friends who have perfect pitch) though whether that's a factor of lower distortion and more accurate reproduction, the jury's out. Should have stated all that differently, my apologies.

tongue.gif

Dude, let me make myself perfectly clear on this.

The day that you have to apologize for bringing up an interesting and challenging topic on THIS thread, is the day that I rage-quit Head-fi and never post here again!

What you observed is fascinating, and exploration of what you experienced is a worthwhile thing.  I like to think we do that on this thread.  Jay posts Alman Brothers and Elvis videos, I post Orange Goblin.  The world still turns, and no one gets their butt burned in the process.

Although I still feel like apologizing for hating the RS1i....

Yea.....this thread and the people here are so damn cool.......greatest thread I have even been involved with on any forum.....no bickering....it is fantastic.

I love all you guys.......well....in a manly kind of way, of course  
very_evil_smiley.gif

I said that with my real deep voice!!

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #16,958 of 65,691
 Yea.....this thread and the people here are so damn cool.......greatest thread I have even been involved with on any forum.....no bickering....it is fantastic.

I love all you guys.......well....in a manly kind of way, of course  :veryevil:

I said that with my real deep voice!!
Whirlwind, you are a man amongst men.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #16,959 of 65,691
Jul 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #16,960 of 65,691
  @ThePianoMan : Just noticed on your sig the Bosendorfer
tongue_smile.gif
. I remember listening to one live (can't remember the piece the musician was playing, long time ago) and it sounded marvelous. I know most tend to prefer the Steinway sound, but that german piano really impressed me, or maybe it was the pianist, or both.

It's not very often that the discs mention the exact instruments used, but I've bought many years ago this recording, by M.A. Recordings just because it featured an Imperial Grand Concert. Lovely recording and performance btw. In the odd chance that you know this recording, how do you rate how it sounds, I mean the timbre as per the real thing?

This is the recording I'm referring to: http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=10

Another recording that credits the particular piano, as well as the organization that has it (and the piano is a Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand) is The Complete Rags of Scott Joplin,  performed by William Albright.  For my money, that is far and away the best recording of Jopln rags ever... perfect touch, and repetitions of the same verse later in the rag are blessed with some wonderful variations such as added passing tones and countermelodies by Prof. Albright!

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #16,961 of 65,691
At home, listening to my very recently received RS1i's through the RA-1 amp, and all I can say is simply HOW did I not get these headphones before, and why did I wait so long :p :p :p! This EP in fantastic! The sampling is just magic!

Thanks whirlwind!!!

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #16,962 of 65,691
At home, listening to my very recently received RS1i's through the RA-1 amp, and all I can say is simply HOW did I not get these headphones before, and why did I wait so long :p :p :p! This EP in fantastic! The sampling is just magic!

Thanks whirlwind!!!

I remember when i first listened to my music through some RS80's. I looked up to the store manager, big eyes, just telling him that i'm hearing things i never heard before, even though i owned various versions from this album since my sixth!

After buying the PS1000, i felt so bad that i spend years of my money on candy or fastfood instead of some proper audio equiptment.

Now i'm so glad that i finally spent good money on a few headphones.

The RA-1 and RS-1(i) should still be sold together; they sound great+ together.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #16,963 of 65,691
A pic or two would be very very interesting. Especially of that fancy 596 rectifier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are some photos of the 596/6SN7's in the new WA6…same (wood) look as my original WA6 with the exception of the transformer top plate being removed this time to give it a lower/sleeker look.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #16,964 of 65,691
Awesome pics of an awesome amp with an awesome 596 and awesome wood accents! I suppose you can pop that wood transformer housing top off any time you like to make sure the transformer's still there. Question: How are the wood side plates affixed to the body?

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #16,965 of 65,691
ThePianoMan thank you for your educated input to this thread. After all we would never have such marvelous sound equipment if it weren't for guys like you that have dedicated themselves to understanding the nuts and bolts of good sound. The beauty of this thread is that we can talk about frequencies and graphs that makes all this equipment excel at what they are built to do and still describe the essence of something as abstract as the soul of the very music we are trying to reproduce in our limited physical relm. Jerry Garcia was asked how he composed his music and he responded. I don't I am just able to catch it floating in the air. How did Beethoven compose the things he did?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back