Going Audiophile For Gaming!
Apr 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
I'd recommend reading through at least the first page or two of this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

I know it's been referred to at least but I don't know if it's been asked directly: How much do you care about noise isolation?  Do you usually play in a quiet room or do you go to LAN parties etc where noise can be a concern (open vs closed). Sounds like your biggest priority is positional accuracy, but it's worth asking.

+1 : Mad lust Envy covers most of the best gaming headphones. I currently use the Denon D2000 and Ultrasone pro 900 both are good for gaming and music.  I would point you to the other threads comparing and reviewing these cans.

I am a fan of Dolby Headphone tech (great for Battlefield Bad company 2 positioning)  so I would steer you to the Essence STX over the Claro. The STX inbuilt amp is fine but I feel you would benefit from a dedicated amp. To keep costs down the Xonar DX is a good option and coupled with a great amp like the Matrix M-Stage you cant go wrong, I enjoyed that combo and  gives room to upgrade to the STX down the line or cash permitting dive straight in.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #33 of 40
besides the headphone i'm actually looking at updating my receiver   and looking at yamaha with the silent cinema feature  to give me the "surround sound" effect on the headphones

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
I am not really worried about isolation. 

I don't really want bass heavy headphones per say.

I want enough bass that (and god I hope I am not making myself look stupid) when I hear a gun clip reloaded it makes  "click" sound not a "shhhlick". When someone is wearing combat boots and running on a wood floor (ala dod:s) I hear "thump thump thump" not "pat pat pat"

On the flipside, I don't want so much bass that it the footsteps sound like gunshots or anything.

I know the comparisons are a bit extreme but, its the best I can do with my limited vocab for sound..

I know exactly what you are talking about. Have you tried the steelhead's without the usb sound card? Mine had that crap too - virtual 5.1, the best thing I did was stop using it.

It's probably worth looking it what your friends listen to - and sample them. Sennheiser HD555's might be a good match for you.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #35 of 40
I know exactly what you are talking about. Have you tried the steelhead's without the usb sound card? Mine had that crap too - virtual 5.1, the best thing I did was stop using it.

It's probably worth looking it what your friends listen to - and sample them. Sennheiser HD555's might be a good match for you.

That requires friends. Most ppl don't understand my obsession with finer things in life. Ex: HQ sound or video.

May 12, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #36 of 40
I have a set of A900's, and here's my quick review of them has gaming phones on the X-Fi:  Good clarity, poor positioning.  Dolby Headphone seems to be incrementally better than CMSS headphone with them based on messing around with a Dolby Headphone plug in in foobar, but directionality still isn't there to my ears.  Based on the previously linked thread, look at the Denons. They're basically the only closed back phones you listed, or maybe some variety of 770.  

Do the HT sound cards have true line out?  

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #37 of 40
In most of the games that comes out now there is alrady a 3d sound engine ingame so the need for Dolby Headphone is not as much needed anymore. Also that stero sounds more crisp.

For me I play alot of different FPS games online, and I prefer my Asus Xonar Essence one in stereo over the Asus Xonar Essence STX with dolby headphone( lor when the games is in need of the Dolby I just feed it into the One from the STX trough coax)

If you need a closed headphone I would reccomend the Mad Dog its fun  and plenty good when you compare it up to DT880 or k701(ofcourse not as good as the other 2 are open cans with better soundstage. But the 360 degree imaging is really good on the Mad Dog).

So 299$ + 179$ STX will give you plenty of fun and competive sound for gaming.  Lots to choosefrom but its hard to beat the 360degree imaging and fun that this combo gives.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #38 of 40
I'd also recommend the Asus ST + DT770 Pro80 combo.  Very good for gaming, awesome soundstage and imaging and bass to die for in games.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:
In most of the games that comes out now there is already a 3d sound engine in game so the need for Dolby Headphone is not as much needed anymore. Also that stereo sounds more crisp.

For me I play a lot of different FPS games online, and I prefer my Asus Xonar Essence one in stereo over the Asus Xonar Essence STX with Dolby headphone( lor when the games is in need of the Dolby I just feed it into the One from the STX trough coax)

If you need a closed headphone I would recommend the Mad Dog its fun  and plenty good when you compare it up to DT880 or k701(of course not as good as the other 2 are open cans with better sound stage. But the 360 degree imaging is really good on the Mad Dog).

So 299$ + 179$ STX will give you plenty of fun and competive sound for gaming.  Lots to choose from but its hard to beat the 360degree imaging and fun that this combo gives.

Loenarfd, you do realize your posting in a thread that has not been used in over two years?

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #40 of 40
Haha yeah. To be honest I did not even see that, another thing is that have not been far into the old treads before as I can remember. Still relevant information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back