Going Audiophile For Gaming!
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #16 of 40
I'd recommend reading through at least the first page or two of this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

I know it's been referred to at least but I don't know if it's been asked directly: How much do you care about noise isolation?  Do you usually play in a quiet room or do you go to LAN parties etc where noise can be a concern (open vs closed). Sounds like your biggest priority is positional accuracy, but it's worth asking.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 40
Sounds to me like you need an Ultrasone Pro 900. Excellent for your musical tastes, and positional accuracy that is hard to beat. There are a few gamers here than prefer them even over the mighty k70x for gaming. Outstanding bass that does not get in the way of positional cues for gaming, and will definitely help immersion with the singleplayer side of things. The Pro 2900 is an open-back design and will probably have an even better 3D soundstage, if the Pro 2400 vs Pro 750 was any indication. I plan on buying the 2900 in the next week or two, and a HUGE reason for that is their known gaming/movie prowess. Best of luck.

-Daniel

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #18 of 40

Quote:
I'd recommend reading through at least the first page or two of this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

I know it's been referred to at least but I don't know if it's been asked directly: How much do you care about noise isolation?  Do you usually play in a quiet room or do you go to LAN parties etc where noise can be a concern (open vs closed). Sounds like your biggest priority is positional accuracy, but it's worth asking.

I like closed ear so I can isolate the noise to my self :).

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #19 of 40
Superlux HD668B are nice and cheap for competitive gaming and music (coupled with a Xonar DS as far as I'm concerned). I don't use EAX or Dolby Headphones because they both have their issues and sound terrible (IMO). In plain stereo I can easily pinpoint exactly where the sounds are coming from, as long as the game has a decent sound engine to start with. For example Quake 3 and Bad Company 2 have their own 3D audio that works like a charm with them.  

With my old headphones however (Sennheiser PC151) I couldn't easily pinpoint sounds (soundstage was nothing like the Superlux though, I guess that's why). 

The Superlux also have some pretty solid bass that really doesn't get in the way. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #20 of 40

Quote:
Superlux HD668B are nice and cheap for competitive gaming and music (coupled with a Xonar DS as far as I'm concerned). I don't use EAX or Dolby Headphones because they both have their issues and sound terrible (IMO). In plain stereo I can easily pinpoint exactly where the sounds are coming from, as long as the game has a decent sound engine to start with. For example Quake 3 and Bad Company 2 have their own 3D audio that works like a charm with them.  

With my old headphones however (Sennheiser PC151) I couldn't easily pinpoint sounds (soundstage was nothing like the Superlux though, I guess that's why). 

The Superlux also have some pretty solid bass that really doesn't get in the way. 

Hey I was looking at Guitar Centers website and they have these for $200. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-Closed-Studio-Headphones---250-Ohms-272024-i1126936.gc

I could also go in store sometime today and try out some of there headphones :) I think that would be a good idea.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #21 of 40

Dolby Headphone only works well with flat DF equalized headphones. If your headphones have an erratic FR or aren't flat on a DF measurement then it will sound awful. This is why the DT880 or K601 seem to work best with it. For example some reviewers tried it with really crappy headphones and wonder why the soundstage sounded like it imploded . . . the headphones weren't meant for it.

This is why other much more expensive solutions (Smyth Realizer) require ear calibration AND provide a set of headphones that they matched for development (Stax). Unless you can control the parameters results can vary drastically.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #22 of 40
I tested the HD555, AD700 and A700s a month ago for gaming on the 360 with an Astro Mixamp. The AD700s BY FAR had the best soundstage/audio tracking for locating gunfire and footsteps. The bass is very lacking, so I wouldn't use them for music at all, but for competitive gaming the consensus is that they are top-notch. Hope that helps, since I ultimately decided to keep the AD700s

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 40
I tested the HD555, AD700 and A700s a month ago for gaming on the 360 with an Astro Mixamp. The AD700s BY FAR had the best soundstage/audio tracking for locating gunfire and footsteps. The bass is very lacking, so I wouldn't use them for music at all, but for competitive gaming the consensus is that they are top-notch. Hope that helps, since I ultimately decided to keep the AD700s

I have the AD700 and the K601 . . . fed through a Victor SU-DH1 DH processor and X-Head Rev.2 and feel the K601 was the better solution myself . . .

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #24 of 40

Quote:

how bad were the A700s?

would the A700s be the best bridge between sound stage and bass?

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #25 of 40
For competitive play I've always went to my Icemat Siberia's (Steelhead) or my Grado SR60's (yes I'm serious). Both work very well for me. I tend to prefer the Grado's as they are less bassy, with the mid's being very forward. It helps with footsteps, and locating gunshots. IMO avoid bass heavy phones for competitive play - too much bass will overwhelm all other sounds. Neither of the phones I listed isolate well - and if you need that look elsewhere. Lately I've tried to play with my Audiotechnica M50's - but after 30 minutes or so I always switch back.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #26 of 40

Quote:
For competitive play I've always went to my Icemat Siberia's (Steelhead) or my Grado SR60's (yes I'm serious). Both work very well for me. I tend to prefer the Grado's as they are less bassy, with the mid's being very forward. It helps with footsteps, and locating gunshots. IMO avoid bass heavy phones for competitive play - too much bass will overwhelm all other sounds. Neither of the phones I listed isolate well - and if you need that look elsewhere. Lately I've tried to play with my Audiotechnica M50's - but after 30 minutes or so I always switch back.

I am not really worried about isolation. 

I don't really want bass heavy headphones per say.

I want enough bass that (and god I hope I am not making myself look stupid) when I hear a gun clip reloaded it makes  "click" sound not a "shhhlick". When someone is wearing combat boots and running on a wood floor (ala dod:s) I hear "thump thump thump" not "pat pat pat"

On the flipside, I don't want so much bass that it the footsteps sound like gunshots or anything.

I know the comparisons are a bit extreme but, its the best I can do with my limited vocab for sound..

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #27 of 40
Haven't seen them thrown in yet, but the Ultrasone HFI780/580 isn't a bad fit for gaming.  Closed, isolate both ways pretty well, good bass response without overwhelming the mids, not too expensive, and the soundstage isn't half bad for being a closed set of cans.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #28 of 40
i'm in the same boat .. looking for something for gaming/movies  to use at night.

Right now i'm looking at the Senn HD 558s   and waiting for more review of Fischer Audio FA-011s

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
i'm in the same boat .. looking for something for gaming/movies  to use at night.

Right now i'm looking at the Senn HD 558s   and waiting for more review of Fischer Audio FA-011s

How competitive do you play? 

Closed cans would be a very good fit if your not really to concerned with pin pointing people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back