Fostex T60RP
Aug 10, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #662 of 1,450
Guys, is there a dedicated mod thread for the Fostex T20-40-50-60RP Mark3 series yet?

If so can you provide the link or if not is someone interested in starting one?

Otherwise I will start one in the next few days and welcome everyone who is interested (as it has been made very clear that we are not welcome here).

Thanks Guys, I have just started a new Fostex RP Mod thread, all are welcome including Fanboys (and girls), trolls and Fostex haters..............etc.:ksc75smile:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-mods-for-t20-40-50-60-rp-series-mk3.886239/#post-14414753

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #664 of 1,450

Thanks Bro, I had asked on here on 2 separate occasions and nobody responded to say there was one.

It is hard to do a specific search on HF since the site upgrade. I have started a specific mods only thread and not for example, EQ settings, etc.

In your case, I would recommend that you get the Mk3 version as you have tried a lot of mods and it seems that you can't get the treble on your Mk2 to sound anywhere near the treble on your T60. I have said it before that I overall prefer the Mk3 over the T60RP and I found the treble a bit harsh/fatiguing on the T60.

I had the Mk3 and the T60 at the same time and I was able to change over the pads and baffle foam in order to compare them and I almost always preferred the Mk3.

I think that it could be some sort of a ringing or resonance type issue on the driver/baffle plate on the T60 perhaps because the baffle plate is not damped on the T60 like it is on the Mk3 series. I of course could be wrong but either way I am happy and will stick with the Mk3 because I don't have any issue with the treble even when the driver is right up against my ear and even when not using any baffle foam.

If anyone tries Fostex for the first time only on the T60 and they don't like it, then I think that they are losing out if they don't try the Mk3 series because they are different to my ears.

My last post here so feel free to discuss it further on the other thread. It is one of the reasons why I started it. I also intend to give some details of mods that I have tried when I have the time and the inclination over the weekend.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #665 of 1,450
Got my ZMF protein pads and the Mayflower Baffle and I am going to give a decenting opinion on it, as I didnt like it.

If you use the ZMF pads and the baffle together the bass does indeed get much stronger, especially the subbass which goes up quite a bit, However the bass becomes quite boomy and the midrange clarity suffers considerably.

Guitars dont have that special sparkle anymore and female vocals sound dulled. SOmewhat paradoxically I get some sibilance on some female singers, in spite of the dulled sound. This is an issue t in the stock version too but less noticeable to me due to the vocals sounding more powerful in general.

Soundstage is larger due to the pads, but imaging felt a little less precise.

I can see why some people would prefer this as the stock T60 is quite sharp sounding, but that gives it a exciting character to me. If the bass were not as boomy as it is, I would be more tempted to keep the mods, but that is off putting to me.

I also tried the baffle with stock pads and the ZMF pads with stock baffle foam, these were pretty interesting combos.

The Mayflower baffle with the stock pads gave it character that reminded me a lot of the HD 650. It had a midbassier, bloomier sound to it and was a bit warmer. Female vocals were toned down, but not as much. I still found it muffled the midrange a bit,

The ZMF pads and stock baffle was the most enjoyable of the mods for me, as it increased the bass and soundstage a bit and is of course more comfortable. I still found it lost some of its sharp,accurate tone is favor of a little bit darker tone, which was good with some songs and worse for others. Did have an interesting experience where some guitar riffs seems to be rolling up my ear, which was different.

Overall though, I still find the stock version to be the best, it has the clearest, most dynamic sound to me.

Unfortunately I have now had a few QA issues come up, as my left cup has a bit of a crack on already and I occasionally get a crackling sound in both drivers. Seems to happen most often when deep bass notes hits. Might end up having to exchange mine, but Amazon Japan sold out for next few weeks.

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #666 of 1,450
Got my ZMF protein pads and the Mayflower Baffle and I am going to give a decenting opinion on it, as I didnt like it.

If you use the ZMF pads and the baffle together the bass does indeed get much stronger, especially the subbass which goes up quite a bit, However the bass becomes quite boomy and the midrange clarity suffers considerably.

Guitars dont have that special sparkle anymore and female vocals sound dulled. SOmewhat paradoxically I get some sibilance on some female singers, in spite of the dulled sound. This is an issue t in the stock version too but less noticeable to me due to the vocals sounding more powerful in general.

Soundstage is larger due to the pads, but imaging felt a little less precise.

I can see why some people would prefer this as the stock T60 is quite sharp sounding, but that gives it a exciting character to me. If the bass were not as boomy as it is, I would be more tempted to keep the mods, but that is off putting to me.

I also tried the baffle with stock pads and the ZMF pads with stock baffle foam, these were pretty interesting combos.

The Mayflower baffle with the stock pads gave it character that reminded me a lot of the HD 650. It had a midbassier, bloomier sound to it and was a bit warmer. Female vocals were toned down, but not as much. I still found it muffled the midrange a bit,

The ZMF pads and stock baffle was the most enjoyable of the mods for me, as it increased the bass and soundstage a bit and is of course more comfortable. I still found it lost some of its sharp,accurate tone is favor of a little bit darker tone, which was good with some songs and worse for others. Did have an interesting experience where some guitar riffs seems to be rolling up my ear, which was different.

Overall though, I still find the stock version to be the best, it has the clearest, most dynamic sound to me.

Unfortunately I have now had a few QA issues come up, as my left cup has a bit of a crack on already and I occasionally get a crackling sound in both drivers. Seems to happen most often when deep bass notes hits. Might end up having to exchange mine, but Amazon Japan sold out for next few weeks.

If you find the bass boomy, just add a bit of cotton/wool/polyfill in the cups, it will dramatically improve..
These things still need some more damping, as all t50rp drivers :wink:

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #667 of 1,450
Sorry don't understand your question. I think you should know what is Open Alpha. And I remember you asked me the 3D print price.

No I did not know that Dan had released the Alpha project to the world and I I thought that you yourself copied the Alpha pads and printed them in a 3D shop.
I was disappointed to see that the enlargement did not produce the dramatic improvement I had with my Smeggy Thunderpants.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #668 of 1,450
Aug 11, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #669 of 1,450

The boomy bass was caused by the Mayflower rings actually blocked ALL 8 baffle vents.
If you want the benefit of the rings (tight up the bass and a well control on all range) BUT still keep the original T60 lively sound. You may try to cut the rings from a O ring to C ring. The C opening should face 1 or 2 baffle vent. This make an air path the driver reach the baffle vent to release pressure. Mid-bass will tamed as how many baffle vents was release.

I'm agree the original T60 unmod sound is the mostly clearest and dynamic. But the timbre not natural for acoustic instrument and vocals. The ZMF(or any thick pads) is good for EDM or Newage. However the timbre still not natural on my ears.

The crackling sound you experienced if it was happened with the Mayflower rings on. It's may because the rings not at a secure placement. The rings will get a resonance with a strong bass to create throbbing sound. That what I experienced before. Double side tape between the rings and the baffle solved the problem.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #670 of 1,450
No I did not know that Dan had released the Alpha project to the world and I I thought that you yourself copied the Alpha pads and printed them in a 3D shop.
I was disappointed to see that the enlargement did not produce the dramatic improvement I had with my Smeggy Thunderpants.
No your disappointment should not be!

** I only used the Alpha cup, but not the Alpha baffle and pad-ring. So all the belows are just talking about the Alpha cups, not the whole Open Alpha design.

1. Alpha cups if compare with the Tx0rp original cups the size is just a little bigger. What Alpha cups provided is a Cornerless internal cup surface, more then increase the cup volume.
2. Alpha cups actually imporve the sub/mid bass clearness, extension and quantity. Overall bass quality improved very visible.

What I found the sound different between the Alpha cup with the Fostex plastic cup is:
When I mod a Tx0rp, I'm always facing a difficulty of, if I want more bass(release the cup vents), the mid and high must be suffered and becomes muddy. Then I will use treble reflector to push up the mid and high. But any kind of treble reflectors will decrease the soundstage, decrease the driver liveness and also decrease the bass quantity!
It's so difficult to get a result of More bass with natural mid/high.
(Yes I can swap pads to get bass and not need to suppress the driver. But as my previous post said, I don't like the objective sound of thick pads. Personal preference.)

However when I mod an Alpha. I found the Alpha provide more bass BUT initially can keep a decent mid/high.
I don't need to place treble reflector to suppress the driver. I can get a good bass with more Open, Airy, Lively sound when using the Alpha cup.

So, kintsaki you may not goes wrong. The cup (size or sharp or material) actually can do something good.

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #672 of 1,450
The boomy bass was caused by the Mayflower rings actually blocked ALL 8 baffle vents.
If you want the benefit of the rings (tight up the bass and a well control on all range) BUT still keep the original T60 lively sound. You may try to cut the rings from a O ring to C ring. The C opening should face 1 or 2 baffle vent. This make an air path the driver reach the baffle vent to release pressure. Mid-bass will tamed as how many baffle vents was release.

I'm agree the original T60 unmod sound is the mostly clearest and dynamic. But the timbre not natural for acoustic instrument and vocals. The ZMF(or any thick pads) is good for EDM or Newage. However the timbre still not natural on my ears.

The crackling sound you experienced if it was happened with the Mayflower rings on. It's may because the rings not at a secure placement. The rings will get a resonance with a strong bass to create throbbing sound. That what I experienced before. Double side tape between the rings and the baffle solved the problem.

I would love to modify the mayflower baffle from a O to a C do you have pictures?

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #673 of 1,450
Why make a whole new thread for a simple question? I own a pair of Fostex T60RP was looking for something to power them other than my sound cards headphone amp.

I plugged T60 into my MacBook Pro and it sounds more than acceptable.
This Fostex is truly one of the best bargains around. Any cheap-ass
desktop dac/amp will do: iFi, Audioquest Dragonfly, Schiit Fulla.
These are not Beyer or Sennheiser, have fun, don't spend too
much on exotic amplifiers

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #675 of 1,450
Appreciate the responses and the advice, think I am just gonna be happy with the stock sound for now.

I am wondering if anyone has tried some of the Dekoni pads with the T60RP...they seem to be closer to the ear than ZMFs pads which may make them match the T60RP better.

That Dekoni Blue Hybrid pads looks really interesting, just wish it were not so expensive!

Might wait for those to go on sale and try em out, hopefully a Massdrop pops up for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back