Fostex T60RP
Aug 12, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #676 of 1,450
I would love to modify the mayflower baffle from a O to a C do you have pictures?
Sorry I can't find an option to upload pic.
C ring means... Just think about it, you want the driver have an AIR PATH to the vents un-blocked. That's make the driver relase pressure, result is lesser bass.
You can cut an O ring to C ring to achieve this, or other methods example a thinner ring, a lower density ring etc.

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #677 of 1,450
I plugged T60 into my MacBook Pro and it sounds more than acceptable.
This Fostex is truly one of the best bargains around. Any cheap-ass
desktop dac/amp will do: iFi, Audioquest Dragonfly, Schiit Fulla.
These are not Beyer or Sennheiser, have fun, don't spend too
much on exotic amplifiers
I have the exact opposite experience.
My HD600 which is 300ohm play well on DAP and portable usb-DAC. But not any Fostex Tx0rp which is 50ohm.
Sensitivity is the key.

Aug 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #678 of 1,450
Sorry to let you guys know I just sold my T60.
T60 is nothing wrong. I sold just because it finished it's duty.

The day I bought T60 the purpose is for a reference phone. Because Z reviews said it is the best mod of T50. And I never have chance to listen any commerial mod version of T50 before. I have no idea how well the T50 can mod to be. So I bought this T60 as a reference to get an idea what's the best sound it can achieve.

Now I'm satify on my T20 mod and Open Alpha. Their sound I will say are on the same level of T60, and more fit my personal preference. It's time to let T60 go to an owner who really need and love it.

Now I will pay attention on the Alpha and M1060 modding.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #679 of 1,450
Sorry to let you guys know I just sold my T60.
T60 is nothing wrong. I sold just because it finished it's duty.

The day I bought T60 the purpose is for a reference phone. Because Z reviews said it is the best mod of T50. And I never have chance to listen any commerial mod version of T50 before. I have no idea how well the T50 can mod to be. So I bought this T60 as a reference to get an idea what's the best sound it can achieve.

Now I'm satify on my T20 mod and Open Alpha. Their sound I will say are on the same level of T60, and more fit my personal preference. It's time to let T60 go to an owner who really need and love it.

Now I will pay attention on the Alpha and M1060 modding.

That m1060 headband though. When you say Alpha do you mean Alpha Prime? I thought the T60 was superior to the Alpha Prime.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #680 of 1,450
That m1060 headband though. When you say Alpha do you mean Alpha Prime? I thought the T60 was superior to the Alpha Prime.
They are two different sound signatures. I personally find the alpha prime easily superior to any t50 mod.

He is referring to the open alpha mod. Mrspeakers release the 3d printing files and instructions to make alpha dogs.

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #681 of 1,450
Yes what Alpha I said was the Open Alpha (I just used the cup, not the baffle).

That's no significant Superior on 3 of my Fostex rp phones.
Sub-bass clarity and extension, mid-bass body: Open Alpha > T60 > T20mk2 mod
Sound tightness, punchy, dynamic: T60 > Open Alpha > T20mk2 mod
Sound stage width: Open Alpha > T20mk2 mod > T60
Sound stage depth, separation, overall clarity: T60 > T20mk2 mod > Open Alpha
Instrument texture, imaging postion: T20mk2 mod > T60 > Open Alpha
Openness, airy, vocal intimate, immersive: T20mk2 mod > Open Alpha > T60

Summary:
T60: fast, dynamic, fun, clarity, 3d imaging.
Open Alpha: bass quality, wide, other factors in between the brothers.
T20mk2 mod: Open, immersive, texture, position.

My personal preference: T20mk2 mod > T60 > Open Alpha

Edit: My Open Alpha did not fully mod. It's not in a final stage. But the T20 is. Both with the D7000 pads.
The comments of T60 above, which is with a mouse pad baffle ring (C shape) mod. With stock pads.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #682 of 1,450
They are two different sound signatures. I personally find the alpha prime easily superior to any t50 mod.

He is referring to the open alpha mod. Mrspeakers release the 3d printing files and instructions to make alpha dogs.

I found the Alpha Prime a little tame and boring. I mean it was clear and all that if that is your cup of tea but I enjoyed the Argon more.

Yes what Alpha I said was the Open Alpha (I just used the cup, not the baffle).

That's no significant Superior on 3 of my Fostex rp phones.
Sub-bass clarity and extension, mid-bass body: Open Alpha > T60 > T20mk2 mod
Sound tightness, punchy, dynamic: T60 > Open Alpha > T20mk2 mod
Sound stage width: Open Alpha > T20mk2 mod > T60
Sound stage depth, separation, overall clarity: T60 > T20mk2 mod > Open Alpha
Instrument texture, imaging postion: T20mk2 mod > T60 > Open Alpha
Openness, airy, vocal intimate, immersive: T20mk2 mod > Open Alpha > T60

Summary:
T60: fast, dynamic, fun, clarity, 3d imaging.
Open Alpha: bass quality, wide, other factors in between the brothers.
T20mk2 mod: Open, immersive, texture, position.

My personal preference: T20mk2 mod > T60 > Open Alpha

Edit: My Open Alpha did not fully mod. It's not in a final stage. But the T20 is. Both with the D7000 pads.
The comments of T60 above, which is with a mouse pad baffle ring (C shape) mod. With stock pads.

What T20 mod?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #686 of 1,450
I enjoyed the Argon more.
I didn't try Alpha Prime, don't know their difference between Open Alpha.
And I didn't try Argon. But what I read people comments on Argon is exactly what I listen from the Open Alpha.
Bassy, wide, lesser details etc.

If you like Argon, you should give Open Alpha a try. And if you want to try it with a lower cost, just print 2 cups instead of all 6pcs. Honestly I don't like the sound of it's baffle SO MUCH.

edit: My Open Alpha used the connection jack holes fully open as an extra cup vents. It result a bigger soundstage and mid-bass quantity.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #687 of 1,450
I am currently thinking of selling my Fostex T60RP you guys are welcome to it first before anyone else. I just don't seem to be gellin with this headphone I love the craftsmanship and time put into the wood cups. As for its sound its just not for me. In my current living situation a closed back would suit me better.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #688 of 1,450
I ended up returning mine. Creaky cups. Not very comfortable. Sound was thin and bass shy. Highs too sharp and grating.

I compared them to my Mad Dog Pros and I found the MDP's to be better in every way. I have the Argon v3's next on my list to try to dethrone my MDPs.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #689 of 1,450
I ended up returning mine. Creaky cups. Not very comfortable. Sound was thin and bass shy. Highs too sharp and grating.

I compared them to my Mad Dog Pros and I found the MDP's to be better in every way. I have the Argon v3's next on my list to try to dethrone my MDPs.

Did you ever try other pads?

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #690 of 1,450
Did you ever try other pads?

Yeah, I put the mad dog pads on them. Comfort greatly improved, but the sound was about the same. To be fair, I find the MDP's to have somewhat harsh treble as well, but if I had to pick one, the MDP's were better for the same price. The wood cups were gorgeous though.

The creaking was so bad, I would have needed to return them anyway, so I decided to just return and not exchange. They actually sound very similar to my MDR-V6's with DT250 pads but at more than 3X the price, it wasn't worth it for me. I also like my PM3's better than the MDP's. I'm looking for an PM3/MDP upgrade, hence my interest in the T60RP's. But now, I'm looking at the MH Argons which seem to have more bass and tamer highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back