Fostex T60RP
Jan 18, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #1,442 of 1,450
scratch. I see zeos using argon t60s with a30 pro so I should be fine.

just to be sure, I have 4.4 cable. the a30 pro hpa has XLR and 4.4, but both are SE output. is it safe to continue using my 4.4 balanced cable in a SE output? I am asking because maybe I am not googling correctly and I also forgot what situation can cause you to blow a hpa.
I am using an SMSL DO400 and it sounds amazing. I don't know what hpa means, but I bought a chinese 4.4 balanced to 3.5mm from aliexpress for about £12 and it works perfectly. I find it very difficult to hear the difference with different earpads, so I'm still on stock. I did try using AutoEQ on the headphoes which changed how they sounded, it wasn't better or worse.... just different.

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #1,443 of 1,450
I am using an SMSL DO400 and it sounds amazing. I don't know what hpa means, but I bought a chinese 4.4 balanced to 3.5mm from aliexpress for about £12 and it works perfectly. I find it very difficult to hear the difference with different earpads, so I'm still on stock. I did try using AutoEQ on the headphoes which changed how they sounded, it wasn't better or worse.... just different.

hpa = headphone amp. I forgot to add I found out the answer on asr in a topping thread. I have an a30 pro on the way and looking for a d30 pro. I didn't know it was discontinued and the last 3 or 5 weeks missed out ~$200+- used sales.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #1,445 of 1,450
Change the baffles and pads and you will get plenty of bass.

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,446 of 1,450
by baffle do you mean the part that holds the driver? I have some blue tack on the way I was going to damp the baffle with and experiment with the vents. I am considering getting some 1mm eva foam for the back of the cup.

gotta slow the spending for a month or two. just spent $600 on an A30 pro and D30 pro and the D30 needs to be picked up in the states. really looking forward to the D30 as many reviews and comments state the soundstage is awesome. not a big fan of cirrus logic DACs but otoh haven't heard a CL DAC for a while.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #1,447 of 1,450
I decided to make a balanced 4.4 cable for my Fostex T60RP.
I took the pinout from the manual that came with the headphones. I soldered the cable, and it converts the audio signal to mono - this is interesting. Where did I (or someone at Fostex) make a mistake? I downloaded the PDF manual from the Fostex website - the pinout is different, not the same as in the paper manual - it’s strange!
Then I disassembled the headphones and checked the pinout of the connector - it corresponds to the pinout on the PDF manual from the website. Fostex provided incorrect information in the paper manual that came with the headphones. If you want to make a balanced cable according to this manual, you will not succeed, the sound will be mono.
The correct pinout will be L+ R+ L- R- (wrong L+ R+ R- L-)
For an unbalanced connection, it does not matter how the negative contacts are located because they are connected into one, but for a balanced connection this is important.

Attachments

• cr.png
    cr.png
    111 KB · Views: 0
  • wr.jpeg
    wr.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-01-28 11.55.02.jpeg
    photo_2024-01-28 11.55.02.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-01-28 11.54.51.jpeg
    photo_2024-01-28 11.54.51.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #1,450 of 1,450
for anybody interested I finally got my topping D30 pro. I have it connected with XLR to the A30 pro and the stronger signal really makes the T60s shine now. I probably do not need high gain anymore. I am also quite surprised with the D30 pro itself. I had low expectations but turns out to be a great Cirrus Logic DAC. nice detail and not bright. nice soundstage, sometimes a little floaty but in a good way. bass is adequate now, though rarely punchy but definitely fast. I think this is due more to the ample power and headroom though rather than the tuning itself. anyways, this combo could be endgame for some people including myself for awhile. I am also amazed at how well my zero reds sound now. the detail really shines on those now without being intense. made a great IEM sound even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back