flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 27, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #7,006 of 39,414
I’ve got the (Redwine modded) AK380cu and Vision Ears VE8 (together with the Dita Dream) on a loan these days.
Needless to say that it was a superb sounding (as far as my family allowed me to listen) Christmas this year...

So, how does it sound? Well, in one word: holymolyfreakinawesomeflabbergastingamazing(orsomethinglikethat) :ksc75smile:
I can totally understand why some over here like it that much!
How do you like the Dream?

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #7,007 of 39,414
How do you like the Dream?
I haven't spent that much time (maybe ± 30 minutes) listening to the Dream so far, but when I listened to it coming from the VE8 it sounded darker and less revealing.
The DD obviously produces some fantastic lows (rumble) though and I will surely give it (a lot) more listening time over the upcoming period.

I can also imagine that the Dream sounds great from the LPG (the DD Vega also had wonderful synergy with it imo), but I don't have that dap here atm to check that synergy.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #7,008 of 39,414
I’ve got the (Redwine modded) AK380cu and Vision Ears VE8 (together with the Dita Dream) on a loan these days.
Needless to say that it was a superb sounding (as far as my family allowed me to listen) Christmas this year...

So, how does it sound? Well, in one word: holymolyfreakinawesomeflabbergastingamazing(orsomethinglikethat) :ksc75smile:
I can totally understand why some over here like it that much!
Please share some detailed impressios about VE8,

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #7,009 of 39,414
I haven't spent that much time (maybe ± 30 minutes) listening to the Dream so far, but when I listened to it coming from the VE8 it sounded darker and less revealing.
The DD obviously produces some fantastic lows (rumble) though and I will surely give it (a lot) more listening time over the upcoming period.

I can also imagine that the Dream sounds great from the LPG (the DD Vega also had wonderful synergy with it imo), but I don't have that dap here atm to check that synergy.
I don't want to influence your impression, but while I loved the bass and stage, I had issues with the mids.

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #7,015 of 39,414
The Dream I think has one fantastic bass. The mids though after comparing it with other IEMs sounded a bit odd. Kinda metallic cold, kinda recessed on some sources. But after some time adjusting to its sound, it sounded pretty enjoyable. The vocals, and acoustics especially. I try to avoid listening to metallic instruments with the Dream (cymbal, trumpet, etc).

After receiving the VE5, I can say that VE makes amazing custom shells. Fits perfectly for my ears, not too deep, or shallow. Great for live-performing musician IMO. I can see why Mim much prefers his VE8 in custom form. As for the sound, the VE5 is like the AV2. They're similar in tuning, and I suspect they're made from the same mold. My ears couldn't differ at first during non-critical listening. Only after a while though, I heard how VE5 sounded more refined, higher-res, and balanced than the AV2. The AV2 is more forward, and note size denser/larger. While the VE5 is very smooth, with the mids more centered. It is more gentle in the upper-mid, and treble. Both have superb vocals. The bass punches harder on the AV2, the VE5's bass is more classy, and less wild / better-controlled in execution. Both impression were obtained from WM1A. Haven't try them with AK70II, and Opus#2 yet. Just my early impression.

To anyone (will be) having the Prelude, could you please try with your laptop? I'm still weirded to find that they're my favourite setup. More favoured than with other sources, and ear/headphones. I'm interested in how others would find with theirs. With other sources, like Nic explained in his review, the sound (especially for the female vocals) is less sweet, and clear. But with my laptop, it sounds much more natural, and 'right'. The soundstage is also larger, and positioning less forward; not as intimate, and warm as before.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #7,016 of 39,414
The Dream I think has one fantastic bass. The mids though after comparing it with other IEMs sounded a bit odd. Kinda metallic cold, kinda recessed on some sources. But after some time adjusting to its sound, it sounded pretty enjoyable. The vocals, and acoustics especially. I try to avoid listening to metallic instruments with the Dream (cymbal, trumpet, etc).

After receiving the VE5, I can say that VE makes amazing custom shells. Fits perfectly for my ears, not too deep, or shallow. Great for live-performing musician IMO. I can see why Mim much prefers his VE8 in custom form. As for the sound, the VE5 is like the AV2. They're similar in tuning, and I suspect they're made from the same mold. My ears couldn't differ at first during non-critical listening. Only after a while though, I sould hear how VE5 sounds more refined, higher-res, and balanced than the AV2. The AV2 is more forward, and note size denser/larger. While the VE5 is very smooth, with the mids more centered. It is more gentle in the upper-mid, and treble. Both have superb vocals. The bass punches harder on the AV2, the VE5's bass is more classy, and less wild / better-controlled in execution. Both impression were obtained from WM1A. Haven't try them with AK70II, and Opus#2 yet. This is my early impression.

To anyone (will be) having the Prelude, could you please try with your laptop? I'm still weirded to find that they're my favourite setup. More favoured than with other sources, and ear/headphones. I'm interested in how others would find with theirs. With other sources, like Nic explained in his review, the sound (especially for the female vocals) is less sweet, and clear. But with my laptop, it sounds much more natural, and 'right'. The soundstage is also larger, and positioning less forward; not as intimate, and warm as before.
Looking at what you have and what you sold, you're a certified mid-head!

Just one question though, didn't K10 do it for you? I loved the mids in that one (but not much else haha).

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #7,017 of 39,414

After receiving the VE5, I can say that VE makes amazing custom shells. Fits perfectly for my ears, not too deep, or shallow. Great for live-performing musician IMO. I can see why Mim much prefers his VE8 in custom form. As for the sound, the VE5 is like the AV2. They're similar in tuning, and I suspect they're made from the same mold. My ears couldn't differ at first during non-critical listening. Only after a while though, I sould hear how VE5 sounds more refined, higher-res, and balanced than the AV2. The AV2 is more forward, and note size denser/larger. While the VE5 is very smooth, with the mids more centered. It is more gentle in the upper-mid, and treble. Both have superb vocals. The bass punches harder on the AV2, the VE5's bass is more classy, and less wild / better-controlled in execution. Both impression were obtained from WM1A. Haven't try them with AK70II, and Opus#2 yet. This is my early impression.

Considering my experiences comparing a demo VE6 to a custom VE6, I reckon VE's CIEMs have superior treble extension and linearity; one of the few problems I find myself consistently facing with their demo units. I think it's because their demo units don't have the horn bore that their custom units do. Regardless, I'm glad to hear that you've received the VE5 and I certainly agree with your impressions. Do you think someone with the AV2 would benefit from also getting a VE5? Or are they too similar to have at the same time? I've talked to Baran recently and I should be receiving my Prelude's by January. I'll test them out on various sources and let you know what I think. Considering how my CIEMs have sounded out of my Macbook, I don't really have high hopes. :D

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #7,018 of 39,414
Looking at what you have and what you sold, you're a certified mid-head!

Just one question though, didn't K10 do it for you? I loved the mids in that one (but not much else haha).
Thanks Eze. :D I wonder how does it feel to be a certified high-head? Lol, it reminds me of Nic from Amsterdam.

I like the Oriolus 2 more than K10. Sold it because of that. I listened to them long ago, so my memory isn't very accurate. Both have similar tuning (V-shaped if I'm not mistaken). The K10 mids is OK in tone IMO. But the positioning is slightly off due to its powerful mid-bass. The upper-frequency can get a bit harsh/peaky on some sources in my experience. The aluminium shell looks nice, but it couldn't fit securely in my ears. What do you like about its mids Eze?

Considering my experiences comparing a demo VE6 to a custom VE6, I reckon VE's CIEMs have superior treble extension and linearity; one of the few problems I find myself consistently facing with their demo units. I think it's because their demo units don't have the horn bore that their custom units do. Regardless, I'm glad to hear that you've received the VE5 and I certainly agree with your impressions. Do you think someone with the AV2 would benefit from also getting a VE5? Or are they too similar to have at the same time? I've talked to Baran recently and I should be receiving my Prelude's by January. I'll test them out on various sources and let you know what I think. Considering how my CIEMs have sounded out of my Macbook, I don't really have high hopes. :D
Glad you'll be getting the Prelude soon. :) Thank you. Please do. I'm curious to hear your impression. I think you'll like it listening with late-night jazz, and acoustic. Did you force-fit someone's custom IEM (VE6) again?

VE custom shells certainly are very comfortable. It's the most I've experienced so far. Their bore is also unique, and shell not as thick as some others, so it won't protrude out of your ears that much. I think someone having the AV2 wouldn't gain much extra in terms of sound, they have similar sound-character and tuning. The big difference is with their build quality, and comfort/fit. AV2 fits well in my ears, the VE5 fits perfectly. But if you're looking for getting just one, and have a higher budget then the VE5 I think is the more complete option. I bought both because of some whispers. :D (Looking at you, and Wyville).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #7,019 of 39,414
Thanks Eze. :D I wonder how does it feel to be a certified high-head? Lol, it reminds me of Nic from Amsterdam.

I like the Oriolus 2 more than K10. Sold it because of that. I listened to them long ago, so my memory isn't very accurate. Both have similar tuning (V-shaped if I'm not mistaken). The K10 mids is OK in tone IMO. But the positioning is slightly off due to its powerful mid-bass. The upper-frequency can get a bit harsh/peaky on some sources in my experience. The aluminium shell looks nice, but it couldn't fit securely in my ears. What do you like about its mids Eze?

It's been awhile since I heard them too, but they were tonally correct with just the right amount of body for an all-rounder. Good balance between lush and detailed. K10 has an otherwise too-safe tuning for my tastes. Treble is gentle, bass has that midbass bloom and soundstage is small. Not deal-breakers per se, but not what I'd get for $1600.

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #7,020 of 39,414
I love Oriolus MK2 too. My pal will be getting the Hyla CE-5 which is like an Oriolus Plus (2BA + 1DD + an extra piezoelectric tweeter). Hope it works out for him. I'd consider that too but while waiting for impressions, it seems the CE-5 is limited to 200 units worldwide and it's nearly sold out... so it's already reached unicorn status. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back