flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #6,976 of 39,414
Dec 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #6,979 of 39,414
Off topic...my Aeon arrived I guess I will give my in-ears a little break.

20171220_160007.jpg

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #6,980 of 39,414
Off topic...my Aeon arrived I guess I will give my in-ears a little break.

Congrats! Right off the bat, what are your thoughts? I am trying to decide between 6XX and Aeon Open.

Edit: I am wondering if I should pull the trigger on the 6XX drop or save-up for the the Aeon Open.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #6,981 of 39,414
Congrats! Right off the bat, what are your thoughts? I am trying to decide between 6XX and Aeon Open.

Edit: I am wondering if I should pull the trigger on the 6XX drop or save-up for the the Aeon Open.
Thank you...it is always the same dilemma for me with some headphones, I have dedicated so much time to finding the best portable setups I can find that I really ignore desktop setups, I can't stand being tethered to a desk with an amp. I have had portable stacks, Mojo etc.. but it is difficult to carry a Mojo in your pocket when you leave the house and obviously exercising. So the dilemma is to be able to drive my HD6XX or Aeon properly, to the potential I can hear only from my underpowered sources, both being open headphones staying in or around the house with a stack won't be a problem. I have about an hour of listening time and it is requiring high volume but they are really nice. A smooth balanced sound with pleasant warmth. There is some nice bass rumble with some planar snap. Hiromi's piano notes sound live and very natural. I hear absolutely zero harshness in the treble. I need to A/B to see which stage is larger, it is not the the largest stage I have heard, but it doesn't really need to be, to compliment the entire sound signature, it has nice separation, but not real wide. Quick initial thoughts with no burn-in. A very pleasant experience, very.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #6,982 of 39,414
Thank you...it is always the same dilemma for me with some headphones, I have dedicated so much time to finding the best portable setups I can find that I really ignore desktop setups, I can't stand being tethered to a desk with an amp. I have had portable stacks, Mojo etc.. but it is difficult to carry a Mojo in your pocket when you leave the house and obviously exercising. So the dilemma is to be able to drive my HD6XX or Aeon properly, to the potential I can hear only from my underpowered sources, both being open headphones staying in or around the house with a stack won't be a problem. I have about an hour of listening time and it is requiring high volume but they are really nice. A smooth balanced sound with pleasant warmth. There is some nice bass rumble with some planar snap. Hiromi's piano notes sound live and very natural. I hear absolutely zero harshness in the treble. I need to A/B to see which stage is larger, it is not the the largest stage I have heard, but it doesn't really need to be, to compliment the entire sound signature, it has nice separation, but not real wide. Quick initial thoughts with no burn-in. A very pleasant experience, very.

Sweet.. Yea man, I know what you mean. Consider me on a similar boat as you.. I do like Chord DACs, and they are great in the portable realm. But from what I understand, when it comes to full size HPs, fully-discrete desktop-amps offer better dynamics than the Chord DACs. So I am in the dilemma of which path to take.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #6,983 of 39,414

Considering the 6XX supposedly sounds exactly like an HD650, I’ll be able to compare the two once I get my Mojo back from Singapore next week.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #6,984 of 39,414
Considering the 6XX supposedly sounds exactly like an HD650, I’ll be able to compare the two once I get my Mojo back from Singapore next week.

Cool. Did you get your Aeon already? Looking forward to the comparison from both you guys.

Btw, are you getting your Mojo modded?

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #6,985 of 39,414
Cool. Did you get your Aeon already? Looking forward to the comparison from both you guys.

Btw, are you getting your Mojo modded?

Yeah, I did. I haven’t been able to listen to it much because of a review I’m currently writing, but I’ve mixed and mastered a couple of projects on it and it’s been pure bliss so far. Like I said to the THL guys, this may be - tonally - my favorite headphone I own. As soon as my workload gets a bit lighter, I’ll do some comparisons for the thread.

No, unfortunately not. A couple months ago, my Mojo suddenly wasn’t able to charge. I brought it to Zeppelin and Co. in Singapore where I bought it, and it turns out the battery had died and was bloating inside the Mojo. Thankfully, there weren’t any leaks, so all they did was replace the battery and now it’s good as new. To all Mojo owners out there, I’d probably recommend against charging it 24/7. :D

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #6,987 of 39,414
Dec 21, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #6,990 of 39,414
I am both a HeadFi and Facebook nut, so you can imagine the amount of actual work I do everyday. :grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back