flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #7,021 of 39,414
I love Oriolus MK2 too. My pal will be getting the Hyla CE-5 which is like an Oriolus Plus (2BA + 1DD + an extra piezoelectric tweeter). Hope it works out for him. I'd consider that too but while waiting for impressions, it seems the CE-5 is limited to 200 units worldwide and it's nearly sold out... so it's already reached unicorn status. :p
I'm curious to know about the differences between V2 and Reborn too.

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #7,022 of 39,414
Thanks Eze. :D I wonder how does it feel to be a certified high-head? Lol, it reminds me of Nic from Amsterdam.

I like the Oriolus 2 more than K10. Sold it because of that. I listened to them long ago, so my memory isn't very accurate. Both have similar tuning (V-shaped if I'm not mistaken). The K10 mids is OK in tone IMO. But the positioning is slightly off due to its powerful mid-bass. The upper-frequency can get a bit harsh/peaky on some sources in my experience. The aluminium shell looks nice, but it couldn't fit securely in my ears. What do you like about its mids Eze?

Glad you'll be getting the Prelude soon. :) Thank you. Please do. I'm curious to hear your impression. I think you'll like it listening with late-night jazz, and acoustic. Did you force-fit someone's custom IEM (VE6) again?

VE custom shells certainly are very comfortable. It's the most I've experienced so far. Their bore is also unique, and shell not as thick as some others, so it won't protrude out of your ears that much. I think someone having the AV2 wouldn't gain much extra in terms of sound, they have similar sound-character and tuning. The big difference is with their build quality, and comfort/fit. AV2 fits well in my ears, the VE5 fits perfectly. But if you're looking for getting just one, and have a higher budget then the VE5 I think is the more complete option. I bought both because of some whispers. :D (Looking at you, and Wyville).

Out of their entire line-up, I actually think VE’s most underrated IEM is the VE3. It’s a balanced-sounding IEM that has some elements of the Aether, but with a more laidback approach. I personally like it more than the VE5 (because I already have the AV2) and it’ll be a heavy hitter in a little round-up I’ll be doing early next year. Stay tuned... :wink:

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #7,023 of 39,414
The Dream I think has one fantastic bass. The mids though after comparing it with other IEMs sounded a bit odd. Kinda metallic cold, kinda recessed on some sources. But after some time adjusting to its sound, it sounded pretty enjoyable. The vocals, and acoustics especially. I try to avoid listening to metallic instruments with the Dream (cymbal, trumpet, etc).

After receiving the VE5, I can say that VE makes amazing custom shells. Fits perfectly for my ears, not too deep, or shallow. Great for live-performing musician IMO. I can see why Mim much prefers his VE8 in custom form. As for the sound, the VE5 is like the AV2. They're similar in tuning, and I suspect they're made from the same mold. My ears couldn't differ at first during non-critical listening. Only after a while though, I sould hear how VE5 sounds more refined, higher-res, and balanced than the AV2. The AV2 is more forward, and note size denser/larger. While the VE5 is very smooth, with the mids more centered. It is more gentle in the upper-mid, and treble. Both have superb vocals. The bass punches harder on the AV2, the VE5's bass is more classy, and less wild / better-controlled in execution. Both impression were obtained from WM1A. Haven't try them with AK70II, and Opus#2 yet. This is my early impression.

To anyone (will be) having the Prelude, could you please try with your laptop? I'm still weirded to find that they're my favourite setup. More favoured than with other sources, and ear/headphones. I'm interested in how others would find with theirs. With other sources, like Nic explained in his review, the sound (especially for the female vocals) is less sweet, and clear. But with my laptop, it sounds much more natural, and 'right'. The soundstage is also larger, and positioning less forward; not as intimate, and warm as before.
Crikey mate! And there I thought you were joking about the VE5. :D What design did you get?

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I would almost say I can't wait for my holiday to end and get back home, but I really need these couple of weeks in the woods away from the hectic life in London. :wink:
Out of their entire line-up, I actually think VE’s most underrated IEM is the VE3. It’s a balanced-sounding IEM that has some elements of the Aether, but with a more laidback approach. I personally like it more than the VE5 (because I already have the AV2) and it’ll be a heavy hitter in a little round-up I’ll be doing early next year. Stay tuned... :wink:
I think @ranfan would like the VE3 because of their "unexcited" bass. Although I do like my bass (and the Rhapsodio Saturn are giving me plenty of that!), I did enjoy the VE3. To my ears very much "reference" IEMs, but I only heard them briefly.

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #7,024 of 39,414
I love Oriolus MK2 too. My pal will be getting the Hyla CE-5 which is like an Oriolus Plus (2BA + 1DD + an extra piezoelectric tweeter). Hope it works out for him. I'd consider that too but while waiting for impressions, it seems the CE-5 is limited to 200 units worldwide and it's nearly sold out... so it's already reached unicorn status. :p
I wish you could get a listen from your pal and compare with your Oriolus 2 someday. :)

Dec 28, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #7,026 of 39,414
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good luck!

Crikey mate! And there I thought you were joking about the VE5. :D What design did you get?

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I would almost say I can't wait for my holiday to end and get back home, but I really need these couple of weeks in the woods away from the hectic life in London. :wink:

I think @ranfan would like the VE3 because of their "unexcited" bass. Although I do like my bass (and the Rhapsodio Saturn are giving me plenty of that!), I did enjoy the VE3. To my ears very much "reference" IEMs, but I only heard them briefly.
Yes, but no. I got the basic Olive transparent design. Pretty boring, but I like it. Couldn't hear a difference when switching between the stock and Ares II cable. Maybe I'm not that sensitive. The VE stock cable is already very good in quality though. It looks nice. No plan in getting it replaced soon.

P_20171228_172458.jpg

IDK about London, but the woods is nice to visit in a while. Hope you get your needed refresh there with the Saturn. And then back to research. :D For now, log-out, and enjoy the scenery. Haha.

Could happen, but not anytime soon as we don't live nearby and I won't be in the country for a while. Most likely at Canjam SG :p
Ecchi, please let's meet during CanJam SG. I'd love to check out your W12. Did you get the Hyla recently?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #7,027 of 39,414
Yes, but no. I got the basic Olive transparent design. Pretty boring, but I like it. Couldn't hear a difference when switching between the stock and Ares II cable. Maybe I'm not that sensitive. The VE stock cable is already very good in quality though. It looks nice. No plan in getting it replaced soon.

P_20171228_172458.jpg

IDK about London, but the woods is nice to visit in a while. Hope you get your needed refresh there with the Saturn. And then back to research. :D For now, log-out, and enjoy the scenery. Haha.
Very nice! I love that olive colour and am always jealous when I see Marcus' (Headfonics) VE8 with the Wood Heart faceplates, but this works very well too. I always like it when the logo seems to float (EE do that very well too).

As much as I like rolling cables, I did feel the stock cable on the Visions Ears was really nice and there is no real need to replace it.

The woods are amazing. I am sitting by the fireplace and looking out the windows with trees, birds and squirrels all around, and soon the park will fill up with dogs because it is fireworks free around New Year's Eve. The only downside is that it gets quite crowded around the pool. :D
anigif_enhanced-15507-1408611184-7.gif

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #7,031 of 39,414
This CE-5 is tempting but the Nerva is more prrrutty and I am shallow.
Yes, that is pretty interesting (and purrty, sure), but I found recently I’m over purely BA IEMs, it has to be a hybrid or well executed DD IEM to sound enjoyable to me these days.

A matter of preference I guess, but I don’t see myself spending significant cash on those anymore. Given that Hyla is being positioned as the more experimental spin-off of Oriolus, I think there will be other interesting offerings to come from them.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #7,032 of 39,414
Yes, that is pretty interesting (and purrty, sure), but I found recently I’m over purely BA IEMs, it has to be a hybrid or well executed DD IEM to sound enjoyable to me these days.

A matter of preference I guess, but I don’t see myself spending significant cash on those anymore. Given that Hyla is being positioned as the more experimental spin-off of Oriolus, I think there will be other interesting offerings to come from them.
I agree with you, not because I am over BA, but because I doubt any BA can surprise me. This is why I am looking at all the dynamics such as Xelento, RE2000, Dream, IE800S, JVC HA-FD01, etc. I was not such a fan of the original Oriolus, and have yet to hear a very convincing hybrid (AAW900 was interesting but had issues).

But for some reason I have it in my mind that there is some magic sauce in the Mellianus / Nerva X. And this CE-5 purple shell...meeeh. Still quite eager for some feedback on those.

If I was rational I wouldn't be here anyways.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #7,033 of 39,414
I agree with you, not because I am over BA, but because I doubt any BA can surprise me. This is why I am looking at all the dynamics such as Xelento, RE2000, Dream, IE800S, JVC HA-FD01, etc. I was not such a fan of the original Oriolus, and have yet to hear a very convincing hybrid (AAW900 was interesting but had issues).

But for some reason I have it in my mind that there is some magic sauce in the Mellianus / Nerva X. And this CE-5 purple shell...meeeh. Still quite eager for some feedback on those.

If I was rational I wouldn't be here anyways.
I would never touch the RE2000, the Dream wasn’t for me, I am curious about (and haven’t heard) the IE800S and the JVC (only knew about this after you mentioned it), so that’s something to look forward to.

The mk2 is a bit warm I suppose, some people don’t like that, fair enough. And yes, about the CE-5 shell, not so much the colour even, more that it seems to be a bit transparent in the pictures, I really hope it’s not as bad as I fear when it arrives.

Good news is once I’m actually using them, I no longer have to deal with the colour, that’s everyone else’s problem :)

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #7,034 of 39,414
I would never touch the RE2000, the Dream wasn’t for me, I am curious about (and haven’t heard) the IE800S and the JVC (only knew about this after you mentioned it), so that’s something to look forward to.

The mk2 is a bit warm I suppose, some people don’t like that, fair enough. And yes, about the CE-5 shell, not so much the colour even, more that it seems to be a bit transparent in the pictures, I really hope it’s not as bad as I fear when it arrives.

Good news is once I’m actually using them, I no longer have to deal with the colour, that’s everyone else’s problem :)
What do you have against RE2000? Afraid of Hifiman build quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back