Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,186 of 11,644
Has anyone experimented by using Comply tips on their BA FAD iem's.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,188 of 11,644
I use Jaben foam tips with my vi

How did it affect the sound? Because I get the feeling they're BA's are more tuned towards the lighter more open sound silicone tips usually employ, but I'm so much more used to the feel of the comply tips and if they could slightly dull the treble and slightly enhance the bass while retaining the beautiful mid range I'd be very happy.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,191 of 11,644
Quote:
I got to hear the lX and Vlll today. Let's just say I get the transistor radio thing.
wink.gif

Uh, I thought it was tube radio? 
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,199 of 11,644
Be warned: a bit long and (possibly) boring post.

So, it's been quite sometime (6.5 months) since I last posted in this thread. This is most likely the best thread I've been a part of in my 4+ years as a HF'er. A thread where there's been some interesting discussions not often seen on HF, or at least certainly not in this particular forum.

Anyway, as some of you may know already, I have almost always done practically all my music listening at home. And even when I used to ride on the often loud London tube on a daily basis, I've never been too keen on using IEMs when out and about — did so several times, but I somehow always preferred to be completely aware of my surroundings, even when my sensitive (to noise) ears were being often assaulted. Why IEMs at home? Simply because I've always found full-sized headphones uncomfortable (20-30 mins was the max I could take).

Anyway, 5 months ago I purchased the Sennheiser HD600 and soon found myself loving them to bits, and even though they were still uncomfortable after 30 mins or so, I'd find myself forcing myself to listen to them for longer stretches because I loved the sound so much. Some 4+ years ago I owned the HD650 and though I really liked them, they didn't quite impressed me as much as the HD600s. From memory, I find the 600s more balanced / linear. I also prefer the aesthetics of the 600s over the 650s.

So, I still had comfort issues with the 600s, but loved their sound. I then did a bit more reading on Sennheiser's flagship, the HD800s, and came across quite a few posts that mentioned how comfortable the 800s were. So, 2 months after getting the 600s I decided to get a pair of HD800s. WOW! Not only did I love the improved sonics over the 600s (though to these ears the 800s don't exactly 'blow the 600s out of the water'), but for the very first time in my life I could wear a headphone for long stretches (2-6 hrs) without any discomfort.

Oi! What's this got to do with FAD?! Well, I did say this was a long AND boring post.

I got a very nice desktop amp for the Senns (the Violectric V200) and then tested all my favourite IEMs with it (the V200 has 6 gain settings). I noticed that the AKG K3003 benefited the most from it, though the K3003 still sounds great using the HP out of my 4G iPod Touch. Some of you already know I'm not exactly a fan, to put it mildly, of portable amps & DACs or aftermarket cables and/or LODs, or a believer in the magic powers of burn-in.

When I discovered how good my K3003s sounded with the V200, I realised how much I had somehow 'neglected' this great IEM, an IEM my ears were now telling me they had an uncanny sonic resemblance with the HD800s. So, I started spending a bit more time comparing the K3003, 334, FI-BA-SS, IE800 (also recently acquired) & PF IX (and now and again the 1601SS) using only my iPod Touch to see—really—which was my one truly favourite IEM, both in a portable scenario (read: just a good DAP—yes, I happen to think the Touch is a VERY good DAP—and a pair of earphones) and for home use. The K3003 was, without a doubt, the best sonically, to these ears.

But, since I'm now using my HD800s most of the time, I've decided to sell some of my portable gear. I'm starting with the 334s and IE800s, but the Fi-BA-SS & 1601SS may also be sold eventually (Yes, I do know the FI-BA-SS has been discontinued, and I still have doubts about selling this great IEM).

Soooooo, where does that leave the PF IX? Well, the PF IX and the K3003 are the only 2 IEMs I definitely want to keep.

A few days ago someone called the PF IXs "crap" in a different thread. Today I got an email from a fellow HF'er, someone who's heard some of the very best TOTL gear around (SR-009, HD800,  etc) and said the same thing, that the PFs were crap, though he was even harsher (possibly because this was a private email exchange) calling the PFs "a s**t product" and adding the F word in reference to the treble. He tried the PF VIII, but I don't think his view of the PF IX would be all that different.

Still, I replied that I understood very well where he was coming from, and that I myself got a shock when I heard the PF IXs, immediately noticing the FR was off, waaay off, even. Yet, after 8/9 months with the PF IXs here I am unable to get rid of them, still feeling very drawn to them even after getting the seriously good and exceptional HD800. These days, when I switch from the HD800/K3003s to the PF IXs it takes a few minutes to adjust, but them I'm hooked. I myself still cannot yet fully understand why this is the case. Several times I've said this remains a mystery to me. I try the 334s, and while excellent, no question about that, I feel somewhat detached, I don't get what I get from both the more reference-type sound, yet very engaging, of the K3003 or the very, very peculiar flavour of the PF IX.

The IE800 is a great IEM, but only when paired with the very expensive Tera Player, in which case the pairing is simply superb, going head-to-head with the K3003s, but the IE800 by itself has rather elevated bass (specially for home use) and the TP has rolled-off treble, but the combo is truly great. I'm selling my TP and so my IE800s have to go too (not entirely convinced by the IE800/Touch pairing, mostly due to the Senns' elevated bass — a shame because the mids, highs, dynamics, timbre and soundstage are pretty impressive).

So, it seems I simply cannot get rid of the 'very flawed' PF IX… just yet.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #1,200 of 11,644
Great post and i think the comments of the person PMing you speaks volumes of how terrible is ability is to hear quality sound reproduction, no matter how esoteric that is. You post comes at an interesting time for a couple of reasons for me. One is that only today I was reading Sterophile and the reviewer of whom I have a lot of regard was bemoaning how peoples Idea of what good bass is nowadays is so far off what good bass is that it is almost painful. Like everything in this modern world it is extremes that matter more it seems rather than subtleties.

Personally in life I have found the subtle moments far more profound than the wiz bang moments. The PF's for me are in the subtle camp, just like a good horn speaker and low powered SET amp they will not wow with pyrotechnics but they will draw you in even though you may feel that is madness. The Norm now is that the population en masse has become so desensitized that only wiz bang will work!

Of late I have become somewhat despondent with this forum. This is in the main for me because it seems that what is normal now is the norm here and I swear a great many people simply have no idea what natural or realistic sound is anymore. If it is not pumping earth shattering bass or treble to cut glass with then a headphone is crap or it is rolled off or it is bass light and for me the article I read this morning really made me realize this here.

The second part is that because the PF's for me have changed how I listen to music, how I appreciate it, brought me back to how i used to listen BCD (Before CD!) I sought out a closed back full sized headphone for the days when I needed isolation. After searching and listening I ended up the the Beyerdynamic T5P. A headphone that when I got it and exchanged PM's with a local member the response was, "Arn't they too bright and no bass?" A response I have seen all to often here and to my ears absolute nonsense!

On Sunday I decided to do back to back listening between the 5P's and the PF's. It confirmed what I had hoped, that I found in a closed headphone something almost the same in terms of musical engagement and emotion.
I have begun to realize that natural round here means extensions in the frequency ranges, almost to comical levels. Its like everyone is on MSG!

Now, before the pitchforks come out let me say, if MSG is your thing hey, great more power to you but do not for one minute tell me MSG is good or the way all things should be. If we move to far away from a non exagerated sound we will end up as we have where people cannot hear a difference between compressed music and uncompressed music.

Headphones it seems have gone the way of reality TV round here, if its not in your face, if its not extreme or shocking then it ain't good.

I always laugh at the vintage radio tag that is given the PF's, laugh because half the time it's meant as an insult.. Give me a vintage radio over 17 loudspeakers and a bass bin in a civic any day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back