Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 28, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #8,702 of 11,644
Ok so ive been using the E4000 for a little while now and ill talk about what i like and dont like, starting with the pros; a very nicely tuned iem for the price and performs well beyond, super smooth sound, silky highs, rich and organic, timbre is better than most iems especially BAs, nicely detailed and a wide stage that extends out to your shoulders. Cons; next to no depth sounds very flat and 2D, not very resolving either, paired with many different sources and amps but the only benefit i had was more volume control. Mojo gave a slightly more realistic treble compared to the others but that was really it.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #8,703 of 11,644
Hi, considering E5000 as an upgrade to E3000. How is the sound leakage on E5000 compared to E3000?
Would Cayin N3 provide enough juice to drive them? thanks

Sound leakages from E5000 are far more noticable compared with E3000, IMHO. I don't own Cayin N3 so can't answer 2nd part of your question.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #8,704 of 11,644
Ok so ive been using the E4000 for a little while now and ill talk about what i like and dont like, starting with the pros; a very nicely tuned iem for the price and performs well beyond, super smooth sound, silky highs, rich and organic, timbre is better than most iems especially BAs, nicely detailed and a wide stage that extends out to your shoulders. Cons; next to no depth sounds very flat and 2D, not very resolving either, paired with many different sources and amps but the only benefit i had was more volume control. Mojo gave a slightly more realistic treble compared to the others but that was really it.

How long have you burned yours in?

I know some say burn in is BS. Stop reading if you agree. But they recommend 150 hours. I found my E5000 totally lacking in depth and having a super recessed midrange out of box. I’m nowhere near 150 and already the depth is much better. No not Andromeda level but they cost $1100 US. And the mids—so much better! Just my observations.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #8,705 of 11,644
How long have you burned yours in?

I know some say burn in is BS. Stop reading if you agree. But they recommend 150 hours. I found my E5000 totally lacking in depth and having a super recessed midrange out of box. I’m nowhere near 150 and already the depth is much better. No not Andromeda level but they cost $1100 US. And the mids—so much better! Just my observations.

Ive left them playing by themselves a lot this week because of the information about burning in on finals page for the E4000. Whether burn in is real or not i dont know but what i do know from experience is that your brain adjusting to a sound is important. ill run them in more over the next few weeks and then revist them to see if depth improved, i have other iems to listen to in the meantime.

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #8,706 of 11,644
Would Cayin N3 provide enough juice to drive them? thanks

Though I sold it before getting the E5000, based on my time with the N3 it can get pretty loud on high gain. I like to listen at loudish volume in general, and for quieter recordings I have to push those IEMs to 75 on high gain with the M5s . My guess is the N3 can drive the E5000 but it might not offer enough headroom depending on how loud you like your music and the recording. Ultimately, I think the E5000 is better suited in a home environment because of the power requirements and the leaking audio, ymmv.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #8,708 of 11,644
Though I sold it before getting the E5000, based on my time with the N3 it can get pretty loud on high gain. I like to listen at loudish volume in general, and for quieter recordings I have to push those IEMs to 75 on high gain with the M5s . My guess is the N3 can drive the E5000 but it might not offer enough headroom depending on how loud you like your music and the recording. Ultimately, I think the E5000 is better suited in a home environment because of the power requirements and the leaking audio, ymmv.

@Windseeker, @PopZeus, thank you all for your comments, you just saved me some money.
I was considering E5000 for outdoor use, so it's a no go for me.
Then back to consider Periodic Audio Be or Carbon or something like Fiio Fh7.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #8,710 of 11,644
@Windseeker, @PopZeus, thank you all for your comments, you just saved me some money.
I was considering E5000 for outdoor use, so it's a no go for me.
Then back to consider Periodic Audio Be or Carbon or something like Fiio Fh7.

Haha, no problem. Gotta save money where you can in this hobby. Speaking of which, it's not gonna sound as detailed or as refined as the E5000, but as someone who holds that IEM in such high regard, I've found that the Moondrop Kanas is a very enjoyable cheaper alternative. Without getting too deep into the differences, the Kanas has deeper sub-bass extension and has a bit more lower treble presence, but by every other sound quality metric, the E5000 squeaks by with a win. That said, the Kanas does cost a lot less, is more efficient, and quieter, so better for portable/outdoor use. I certainly prefer single dynamic drivers to BA or hybrid designs, but that's just why I personally ended up with the E5000 in the first place.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #8,712 of 11,644
Hi. I just received my e4000. Used them with my ES100. Used them with the 3.5 unbalanced cable that they came with, and my own silver coated 2.5mm balanced cables. Although all the reviews about them rate them highly, I find them to be completely inferior to the $19 earphones I got from Target! Not sure if it’s because these are made in China (as opposed to other Final Audio products that are made in Japan) or what... Very disappointed that none of the reviews of these accurately reflected how truly inferior they are. (Tried different size ear tips, different positions- cable up/down to no avail. The Seal seems to be fine, but the sound quality is just atrocious.) Has anyone else had the same experience?

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #8,713 of 11,644
Hi. I just received my e4000. Used them with my ES100. Used them with the 3.5 unbalanced cable that they came with, and my own silver coated 2.5mm balanced cables. Although all the reviews about them rate them highly, I find them to be completely inferior to the $19 earphones I got from Target! Not sure if it’s because these are made in China (as opposed to other Final Audio products that are made in Japan) or what... Very disappointed that none of the reviews of these accurately reflected how truly inferior they are. (Tried different size ear tips, different positions- cable up/down to no avail. The Seal seems to be fine, but the sound quality is just atrocious.) Has anyone else had the same experience?

Before we can make any progress you need to explain why you feel they are inferior to your $19 pair.

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #8,714 of 11,644
Haha, no problem. Gotta save money where you can in this hobby. Speaking of which, it's not gonna sound as detailed or as refined as the E5000, but as someone who holds that IEM in such high regard, I've found that the Moondrop Kanas is a very enjoyable cheaper alternative. Without getting too deep into the differences, the Kanas has deeper sub-bass extension and has a bit more lower treble presence, but by every other sound quality metric, the E5000 squeaks by with a win. That said, the Kanas does cost a lot less, is more efficient, and quieter, so better for portable/outdoor use. I certainly prefer single dynamic drivers to BA or hybrid designs, but that's just why I personally ended up with the E5000 in the first place.

Interesting, I have had Kanas in my radar for a while, and now Kxxs has also picked my interest.
wonder if there exists an IEM with similar resolution and as refined as E5000 with minimum sound leakage at a reasonable price (reasonable meaning below 400$ for me).
My head is spinning with so many new IEM models popping up every week. Makes it so difficult for me choosing sight "unheard"

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #8,715 of 11,644
Before we can make any progress you need to explain why you feel they are inferior to your $19 pair.

I wish I were articulate about correct audio descriptions, but I am just a regular person who appreciates good quality products and sound. Simply put, these sound muffled, have no clarity in any area (base, mid, highs), have no depth, no expanse. They just sound busy and convoluted. I would say dirty.

You know how some people describe their emotions after listening to really amazing ‘phones as “getting tears in their eyes”? Well, I can say the same about these. They are so poor sounding it makes me want to cry! Lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back