Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 4, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #8,671 of 11,642
Would anyone have a suggestion for something similar to e2000 with a little more resolution / high extension?
Well the IEM in my profile pic (BA Unicorn) may be one. Haven't heard E2000 but I consider Unicorn to be on the same level as E5000 at least, just with a slightly different soundsig (more forward vocals, brighter yet smooth highs, not as yummy bass but more than good enough for my taste). It's actually one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to final E series updates since it's the closest a dynamic driver gets to my favorite soundisg yet.

Only problem is they're practically impossible to get outside China's Taobao unless you use a buying agent, though on the plus side they're cheap for the sound you get.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #8,672 of 11,642
The distributor in my country for Final got back to me saying that they completed the RMA process after checking my E5000s again, and went ahead and replaced the drivers for me. Just picked them up and they sound great, with no channel imbalance in the new pair. Enjoying them once again, and thanks to Final for the help in liaising with the distributor for me

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #8,673 of 11,642
The distributor in my country for Final got back to me saying that they completed the RMA process after checking my E5000s again, and went ahead and replaced the drivers for me. Just picked them up and they sound great, with no channel imbalance in the new pair. Enjoying them once again, and thanks to Final for the help in liaising with the distributor for me

Glad to read everything was resolved to your satisfaction.

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #8,674 of 11,642
I wonder how the er2xr compares. Will give it a try in August when I'm back maybe. Shozy Neo Cp might work too but that's over the ear.

I would recommend you check out the HiFiMAN RE-600 as a sonic signature complement to the E2000. The RE-600 has notably better treble extension, instrument layering, and more refined mids. The RE-600 has highly textured bass, but the bass level is rather neutral.

Jun 8, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #8,675 of 11,642
I would recommend you check out the HiFiMAN RE-600 as a sonic signature complement to the E2000. The RE-600 has notably better treble extension, instrument layering, and more refined mids. The RE-600 has highly textured bass, but the bass level is rather neutral.
I didn't want to take them on as everyday stuff and gos due to reliability issues that every other person reported.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #8,676 of 11,642
I didn't want to take them on as everyday stuff and gos due to reliability issues that every other person reported.

That's fine. FWIW, I have had no reliability issues with the RE-600 after about 3 months of near daily use. I also have the version 2 model.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #8,677 of 11,642
My E5000 has only hit 50 hours while Final recommends 150 - 200 hours to get the best sound, so my impressions now may not be correct. Anyway I tried a A/ B with Mojo:

Sound:

Both has fast and clean bass. E5000 sounds more bassy due to laid back treble. I feel N3AP hits slightly harder while E5000 extends slightly lower, though I'm not very sure about it due to the short testing time. The bass of E5000 sounds more natural to me, I like it.

N3AP has more treble presence and sounds more airy. It has more sparkle, but sounds smooth, and has good high end extension. I thinks it's one of the very good treble performances I've experienced at this price range. Meanwhile E5000 has more relaxed treble.

I feel N3AP has a tuning that would please most people, while E5000 is more like HD 650, you either love it or hate it. Personally I love it. But what's really special about E5000 is the cohesiveness of sound. Listen to the song "Helplessly Hoping" by Crosby, Stills & Nash and you know what I mean. The vocals are so nicely placed together and it's really mesmerizing. Magical, really. It's really easy to get lost and immerse yourself in music when listening to E5000; in fact, it pretty hard not to!

Comfort & Isolation:

Both are very comfortable with stock tips. Strangely, N3AP feels very uncomfortable with Comply tips (which are my go to tips for all my IEMs expect these 2). E5000 with Comply tips are OK, but I still prefer the stock tips.

I feel N3AP isolates better, but I only use these IEMs indoors so can't really comment on it.

Cable & Case:

Both are microphonic. E5000 definitely has a higher quality cable, very premium feel. But N3AP has a softer cable that's more comfortable for everyday use.

Both have a nicely made case. E5000's looks better and is more compact, but N3AP's takes less time to put your IEMs in.

I'm pretty new to dynamic IEMs so take my impressions with a grain of salt. But my experience with E5000 is really good, definitely not the same with BA drivers, which makes me want to try higher end dynamic IEMs.

Thanks for this, I have IT03 and N3BP and planning to add E5000 to my arsenal in the near future. Any users that have the set of iem same as mine, your added impressions are very welcome. Just to add as a background for my preference, I sold my 650 and love my 600 Sens HP.

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #8,678 of 11,642
Picked up the E5000 from Audio46. Pretty happy so far. Couple questions:

1. I read the nozzle is angled to better fit the ear canal. But they are designed to be worn BOTH over-ear and straight down. How does wearing it affect the nozzle shape issue re ear ergonomics?

2. I'm not sure I love the Final E tips. I felt much more comfortable with Campfire Marshmallow on the Io (though the Io has other issues). Any reason not to pop extra CA foams on the 5000's? I ordered a set of extra M's, so they are new. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #8,679 of 11,642

1. I read the nozzle is angled to better fit the ear canal. But they are designed to be worn BOTH over-ear and straight down. How does wearing it affect the nozzle shape issue re ear ergonomics?

2. I'm not sure I love the Final E tips. I felt much more comfortable with Campfire Marshmallow on the Io (though the Io has other issues). Any reason not to pop extra CA foams on the 5000's? I ordered a set of extra M's, so they are new. Thanks!
Over-ear give me the better fit and sound. Final tips in S a/o M size are the way to go for me. I tried dozen of others tips, they all fail in bettering the Final ones. It remains a matter of taste though...

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #8,680 of 11,642

Final small tips work best for me. I do use them over the ear though, and they work great. They stay in the ear just fine.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #8,681 of 11,642
I picked up the E3000s about 10 days back and have about 50 hours on them, so far, using an XS Max phone. Others I have are the KZ ZSTs, ToneKing TS1s, GeekWold GK3s and the Symphonized NRG 3.0s.

I wanted to try something a little less 'V' and a bit more flat, if possible and these seem to get a decent nod for not a lot of scratch. I Paid $45 shipped, so these are my most spendy IEMs, lol.

Time will tell if they hold up and I don't hear any channel imbalance, FWIW.

Chris

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #8,682 of 11,642
Don’t think this has been posted here yet, so...

https://snext-final.com/products/detail/E500

Final E500! Looks like a super-budget offering (even more so than the E1000, which, IMO, is the best budget IEM available today). Don’t know what the price will be, but considering what the full eartip set costs, I’m guessing the E500 itself will basically be free.

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #8,683 of 11,642
I've had Kanas Pro (and also Liebesleid and Aria), and I'm not really too fond of Moondrop's tuning really so I'm not sure about KXXS. As for the other two, not yet but I haven't heard carbon nanotube and DLC based drivers that I like yet (they usually sound thin to me), I dunno if I'm ever gonna try them, kinda done with buying stuff blindly. Not looking for a complete opposite soundsig of E5000 by the way (I have the Flares line if I want that already), just a slight bump here and there.

Looking at the price alone, the new B-series (B1, B2, B3) should be the natural upgrade from the E5000.

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #8,684 of 11,642
Looking at the price alone, the new B-series (B1, B2, B3) should be the natural upgrade from the E5000.
I've never had hybrid IEMs that I like either (it's usually super easy to distinguish between each driver's timbre and I don't like that) so I don't want to take the chance without listening first. Will just wait for E series update unless they go crazy with the price.

Feel kinda bad spending so much on many different IEMs when I always inevitably go back to the cheapest one I have lol

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #8,685 of 11,642

I feel like most up-or-down IEM designs are better being worn up and hooked around the ear. This is especially true with the E-series housing, which doesn’t fit in with, or rest on any part of the ear. When work down, the wire tends to pull on the housing, causing the seal to become inconsistent. When worn over, the IEM housing is more stable because the wire is less prone to unintended movement. And it only becomes more obvious when upgrading the cable to a heavier wire.

In terms of tips, I use Spiral Dots on all my IEMs. Tips choices are so personal, I can only say I hope you find something (or many different things) you like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back