Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 21, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #7,921 of 11,644
I gave a run to the E5000 on the Mojo and I must say I am surprised knowing Mojo I expected a much warmer rendering and some lower mids boost compared to DX200/AMP1Ti.
That confirms what I felt which is that the mids are fairly neutrally tuned and accurate. The highs are also a good surprise on the Mojo as they usually have much less detail and sparkle than the DX200.
Also tried the MacBook Pro headphone out, it does quite well actually. Still fairly articulate and technically proficient not congested with decent extension up top.

The higher mids definitely help the overall signature to avoid congestion that can be problematic with warmer signatures. The E5000 are warm mostly by way of their bass, not the mids which I feel are clean and articulate.
It's more L shaped than a descending signature, you get boosted bass but clean mids and treble are not recessed IMHO. You get plenty of detail with a smooth delivery, which might be why some will feel it lacks in the treble department. You don't get sparkle but you do get good definition and when needed, bite.
Aaaand I was already about to order a Mojo. You obviously want me to spend money.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #7,922 of 11,644
Aaaand I was already about to order a Mojo. You obviously want me to spend money.

Well, that's the risk of reading those forums, you don't want to know how much I have spent since I signed up :p

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #7,923 of 11,644
Well, that's the risk of reading those forums, you don't want to know how much I have spent since I signed up :p
I have a pretty good idea from you sig and profile page:money_mouth:

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #7,926 of 11,644

Not entirely sure. I seem to remember some issue with connectors and westone iems in the past but can't recall specifics unfortunately. Think it was something to do with the housings on either the cable or iem side. Something like mmcx cables would fit westones more or less ok but westone cables wouldn't fit normal mmcx due to manufacturing methods. Something like that. If you do want the linum (which is what that cable is) cable then they do standard ones as well. https://www.linum.dk/

Sep 22, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #7,927 of 11,644
Today I tested the E5000 straight out of iPhone X dongle and... I was very impressed by how good the SQ is. Sure you miss headroom but you don’t loose to much in term of transparency and detail up top. You loose a bit of control down low but mids remain very articulate and not congested there is definitely some smart tuning, the E5000 remains consistent accross sources.

This is one area where dynamic drivers are less tricky than multi BA with lesser sources. This makes the E5000 even more compelling as it will sound great even out of a powerful enough smartphone. Kudos Final!

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #7,928 of 11,644
Today I tested the E5000 straight out of iPhone X dongle and... I was very impressed by how good the SQ is. Sure you miss headroom but you don’t loose to much in term of transparency and detail up top. You loose a bit of control down low but mids remain very articulate and not congested there is definitely some smart tuning, the E5000 remains consistent accross sources.

This is one area where dynamic drivers are less tricky than multi BA with lesser sources. This makes the E5000 even more compelling as it will sound great even out of a powerful enough smartphone. Kudos Final!

That’s what I was saying a few posts back!

E5000 sounds surprisingly ok with the stock cable out of the iPhone X. Like 85% of what I get from my DAP.

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #7,929 of 11,644
Anyone have an idea of how much the Final Audio E5000 cable is worth?
Pretty sure the cable retails for the same price of the e5000, but you will never be able to sell it for that much because of this

Sep 22, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #7,930 of 11,644
That’s what I was saying a few posts back!

E5000 sounds surprisingly ok with the stock cable out of the iPhone X. Like 85% of what I get from my DAP.

That is pretty much in line with my experience as well :)

Except that E5000 needs some powah to get loud :)

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #7,931 of 11,644
That is pretty much in line with my experience as well :)
Except that E5000 needs some powah to get loud :)

It does but I do get it loud enough with the iPhone dongle (for me), granted you might have a tad of distorsion as you're pretty much maxing out (but I didn't hear anything of concern) and more importantly you'll loose some bass control but overall I am stunned at how good the E5000 is even out of a smartphone... The more I listen to this little gem, the more I think it has no right to sound that good at this price!

I'll be looking for a nice MMCX balanced cable as all my cables are 2pin now... I wonder if silver could be the way to go with this baby. Is it fully compatible with MMCX or has anyone had issue with standard MMCX cable?

Edit : There is Final C81 silver cable but my it's quite pricey (well the price of the E5000 actually)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #7,932 of 11,644
Hmmm well, I have received AMP7 from iBasso to go along my all time favorite aka AMP8 which is balanced only and... well my mind is BLOWN by the E5000 now :dizzy_face:

For those who are not familiar with iBasso amp modules, AMP8 and AMP7 have discrete components and are much more powerful than any OPAMP design. It manages to deliver high current and power with very low output impedance. This sure helps the E5000 reach their potential and I suspect a good desktop amp with low OI will accomplish the same thing and make those babies sing like they shouldn't even be able at this price point! The E5000 scale so very well it's indecent...

I now get a level of bass impact that I only have experienced with the Vega which is quite a feat... this is with control and texture! The mids are more articulate and refined and vocals are way better defined, overall separation is much better. Last but not least, highs have extra energy while retaining their smoothness. A highly engaging listening experience!

I was impressed so far, I am now totally blown away and puzzled at the level of performance at this price point... wow!!! The only downside is the leakage but I don't really care!

Next stop : trying the Piano Forte VIII that disappointed me... let's see if AMP7 can take them to the next level... stay tuned

Edit : AMP7 is definitely what's need for the Piano Forte, they don't need as much power as the E5000 to get loud but they need powerful drive they sound much much fuller now and Jazz is simply stunning on those babies :)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #7,933 of 11,644
Is the e2000 a good gateway in to the E series? I was just about to buy them on Amazon when I started reading about the E4000. Is it worth buying both or is the step up from 2000 to 4000 a large one?

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #7,934 of 11,644
Is the e2000 a good gateway in to the E series? I was just about to buy them on Amazon when I started reading about the E4000. Is it worth buying both or is the step up from 2000 to 4000 a large one?

E4000 is much better than E2000, but given its price, E2000 gives a good idea how cool the E series is :)

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #7,935 of 11,644
E4000 is much better than E2000, but given its price, E2000 gives a good idea how cool the E series is :)

Thanks, this takes me back to Brainwavz BA range... I ended up buying the 100, 150, 200 v1 and v2 and 400 in a short space of time... but should have just got the 400 in hindsight like I was in the beginning lol. E4000 seems to be at the sweet spot price to performance ratio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back