Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 20, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #7,906 of 11,642
That's a really good way to use them, if you don't crank them too loud.
I also had a friend who said that they weren't loud enough, and would literally try to crank them beyond what their phone can do, because he wanted to go louder.
For the record though, E5000 can eat a ton of power, like, 30/100 on my Burson Play, where most IEMs sit comfortable bellow 18 :)

Yeah seen that, I shouldn't have any issue with the DX200 or Mojo :)

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #7,909 of 11,642
That will be plenty :)

About 50 to 100 USD, depending who makes it, buy why do you ask? You need an exchange cable?

I was hoping to sell it and purchase a different one.
It's too heavy and bulky for my tastes.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #7,910 of 11,642
Interestingly the E5000 was out of stock right after I purchased it so either it's quite a sales greatest hit or the stock is low pretty much everywhere... they arrived today I'll pick them up when I am back from work... eager to test those little gems :)

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #7,911 of 11,642
Lately, I have been seeing nothing but conversations and praises on the relatively new E5000. I currently have the heaven VI and am wondering how it differs to the sound of the E5000. Anyone here who owns or has tried both and is willing to offer their 2cents?

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #7,912 of 11,642
First impressions of the E5000 : simply put...wow!

I expected them to be good given the trusted impressions and review, but I didn't expect them to be that good, really... at this price point it's the best price to value ratio I have ever purchased, up to this date the good old PFE232 (that I should have kept, really...) had the crown in my book and that lasted for a while...until now.

Now, disclaimer, that's a signature that will or will not click. In some ways, the response curve makes me think of the NightHawk (which was so controversial), only it's not dark thanks to the mids tuning on the E5000 (which I find quite accurate and not as colored as I expected) and a better treble extension. The E5000 have more air, clearly, than the NightHawk. The E5000 share the massive and distorsion bass free of the NightHawk, quite an impressive feat for a 6.4mm dynamic. The Flares PRO with a very similarly sized driver is far behind in terms of impact and rumble, and they have more clarity but sound much thinner and less smooth with a high mids peak. Now the Flares PRO have much more sparkle up top. They are also fatiguing in longer sessions.

So, I am impressed by the bass, it extends pretty good although you won't get a snappy attack but that goes with the smooth signature you can't get it all. Combined with the fairly neutral and smooth mids and a lot of (polite but present) details in the treble department, it makes for an impressively grand soundstage. One of the most interesting aspect of the soundstage is its height and depth, which are very good while width is good but not crazy wide either. This makes for a very 3D feel, that is very naturally rendered as separation is rather average overall but on the other hand the layering is pretty impressive. It's more a cohesive type of sound where everything sounds natural and smooth, very euphonic. Imaging could be more precise, but I am knitpicking really as it's quite good but you won't get the precise imaging you get on a good multi BA. But it doesn't matter because really the E5000 seem to have been tuned for relaxing and enjoying the music. They are also very full sounding, in fact there are few IEMs that sound as full (only the Phantom in my collection compares here). There definitely is a great toe tapping factor there :)

All those impressions are out of DX200 Ti with AMP1Ti, which is a musical reference amp with very clean bass (you'll get less mid bass) great extension both ways and clean mids. I had to push the levels to the same volume than the LCD i4 so yes those are hard to drive and yes, they leak a lot even lowering the volume. Too bad since the signature is amazing for getting you to sleep, forget in bed your other half will hear leakage in a very quiet environment. But you can't get that pressure relief and extra soundstage without the venting so you can't get it all...

I think with a warmer source it could potentially be on the boomier side of things, I suspect Mojo will be too warm a source to be the right pick (at least for me). A smartphone won't have enough current and power to make them sing so here is a paradox you have a fairly priced IEM that requires a good reference source... I don't have a MMCX balanced cable handy but the default cable is very nicely built and I do understand why they went with SPC for the cable... actually I wonder if a silver cable could take it even a notch further especially balanced.

Anyway, very happy with the E5000 and very impressed!
Build quality is perfect, and comfort is really amazing, those earhooks are really nice (Audeze, take notes for the i4!) and comfortable and prevent the cable noise (worn down, you get some).

This is a very refreshing product in an era of soaring prices and great news for audiophiles on a budget, and the fact the E4000 has a different signature opens possibilties for those who don't click with the E5000 signature.

From my memories of the Heaven VIII the E5000 is much more dynamic (pun intended) but similarly engaging and emotional, something that Final has some kind of unique mojo especially in terms of tuning one of the greatest smooth mids on the market.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #7,913 of 11,642

I expected them to be good given the trusted impressions and review, but I didn't expect them to be that good, really... at this price point it's the best price to value ratio I have ever purchased, up to this date the good old PFE232 (that I should have kept, really...) had the crown in my book and that lasted for a while...until now.

Now, disclaimer, that's a signature that will or will not click. In some ways, the response curve makes me think of the NightHawk (which was so controversial), only it's not dark thanks to the mids tuning on the E5000 (which I find quite accurate and not as colored as I expected) and a better treble extension. The E5000 have more air, clearly, than the NightHawk. The E5000 share the massive and distorsion bass free of the NightHawk, quite an impressive feat for a 6.4mm dynamic. The Flares PRO with a very similarly sized driver is far behind in terms of impact and rumble, and they have more clarity but sound much thinner and less smooth with a high mids peak. Now the Flares PRO have much more sparkle up top. They are also fatiguing in longer sessions.

So, I am impressed by the bass, it extends pretty good although you won't get a snappy attack but that goes with the smooth signature you can't get it all. Combined with the fairly neutral and smooth mids and a lot of (polite but present) details in the treble department, it makes for an impressively grand soundstage. One of the most interesting aspect of the soundstage is its height and depth, which are very good while width is good but not crazy wide either. This makes for a very 3D feel, that is very naturally rendered as separation is rather average overall but on the other hand the layering is pretty impressive. It's more a cohesive type of sound where everything sounds natural and smooth, very euphonic. Imaging could be more precise, but I am knitpicking really as it's quite good but you won't get the precise imaging you get on a good multi BA. But it doesn't matter because really the E5000 seem to have been tuned for relaxing and enjoying the music. They are also very full sounding, in fact there are few IEMs that sound as full (only the Phantom in my collection compares here). There definitely is a great toe tapping factor there :)

All those impressions are out of DX200 Ti with AMP1Ti, which is a musical reference amp with very clean bass (you'll get less mid bass) great extension both ways and clean mids. I had to push the levels to the same volume than the LCD i4 so yes those are hard to drive and yes, they leak a lot even lowering the volume. Too bad since the signature is amazing for getting you to sleep, forget in bed your other half will hear leakage in a very quiet environment. But you can't get that pressure relief and extra soundstage without the venting so you can't get it all...

I think with a warmer source it could potentially be on the boomier side of things, I suspect Mojo will be too warm a source to be the right pick (at least for me). A smartphone won't have enough current and power to make them sing so here is a paradox you have a fairly priced IEM that requires a good reference source... I don't have a MMCX balanced cable handy but the default cable is very nicely built and I do understand why they went with SPC for the cable... actually I wonder if a silver cable could take it even a notch further especially balanced.

Build quality is perfect, and comfort is really amazing, those earhooks are really nice (Audeze, take notes for the i4!) and comfortable and prevent the cable noise (worn down, you get some).

This is a very refreshing product in an era of soaring prices and great news for audiophiles on a budget, and the fact the E4000 has a different signature opens possibilties for those who don't click with the E5000 signature.

From my memories of the Heaven VIII the E5000 is much more dynamic (pun intended) but similarly engaging and emotional, something that Final has some kind of unique mojo especially in terms of tuning one of the greatest smooth mids on the market.
Darn! Nice impressions - almost a review. You’ve got me sold even more than before. They would pair well with an LG V30, a mobile source with plenty of power and tuning on the colder, analytical side. Sound leakage would be a problem for me, but they sound like the perfect iems for enjoying Tidal on the go so yeah, why not.

How is isolation though in your experience? If leakage is bad, I’d have to reserve them for times when isolation is great.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #7,914 of 11,642
Darn! Nice impressions - almost a review. You’ve got me sold even more than before. They would pair well with an LG V30, a mobile source with plenty of power and tuning on the colder, analytical side. Sound leakage would be a problem for me, but they sound like the perfect iems for enjoying Tidal on the go so yeah, why not.
How is isolation though in your experience? If leakage is bad, I’d have to reserve them for times when isolation is great.

Isolation is pretty good as others have posted, leakage though is worst than I thought.
It won't be a problem in a quiet open space but in bed at night with zero background noise they will leak... not too bad just a shame given the smooth sig for late night sessions

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #7,915 of 11,642
just a shame given the smooth sig for late night sessions
Exactly!
I am lucky enough that my bed is already warm, but I definitely need some of that smoothness for Parisian street life. At the moment I often use a pair of Chord & Major Rock 8”13, immensely fun DD iems, but as their name suggests (8”13 stands for August of 2013) their design is starting to get long in the tooth in terms of general fidelity.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #7,916 of 11,642
Exactly!
I am lucky enough that my bed is already warm, but I definitely need some of that smoothness for Parisian street life. At the moment I often use a pair of Chord & Major Rock 8”13, immensely fun DD iems, but as their name suggests (8”13 stands for August of 2013) their design is starting to get long in the tooth in terms of general fidelity.

Funny, I am in Paris as well, you should sign up to a tellementnomade meetup :wink:

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #7,917 of 11,642
Darn! Nice impressions - almost a review. You’ve got me sold even more than before. They would pair well with an LG V30, a mobile source with plenty of power and tuning on the colder, analytical side. Sound leakage would be a problem for me, but they sound like the perfect iems for enjoying Tidal on the go so yeah, why not."

I'm using the E5000 with the iFi Nano iDSD BL in the headphone jack, and it pushes the E5000 very well. Not using as a mobile source, but as a desktop one.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #7,918 of 11,642

The E5000 is actually very similar to the NightOwl with it’s smooth dark signature (while maintaining good clarity) and nice mids. I like both not so much for their imaging and clarity but for their smooth response and rounded feeling I get. They’re really nice for casual, relaxing and silent listening at night.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #7,919 of 11,642
can someone compare the isolation of the E2000/E3000 vs E4000/E5000
I really like the E2000, but the isolation is really not that great for public transportation.
So I was thinking about the E4000. Does that new vented accoustic chamber also improve on the isolation?

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #7,920 of 11,642
I gave a run to the E5000 on the Mojo and I must say I am surprised knowing Mojo I expected a much warmer rendering and some lower mids boost compared to DX200/AMP1Ti.
That confirms what I felt which is that the mids are fairly neutrally tuned and accurate. The highs are also a good surprise on the Mojo as they usually have much less detail and sparkle than the DX200.
Also tried the MacBook Pro headphone out, it does quite well actually. Still fairly articulate and technically proficient not congested with decent extension up top.

The higher mids definitely help the overall signature to avoid congestion that can be problematic with warmer signatures. The E5000 are warm mostly by way of their bass, not the mids which I feel are clean and articulate.
It's more L shaped than a descending signature, you get boosted bass but clean mids and treble are not recessed IMHO. You get plenty of detail with a smooth delivery, which might be why some will feel it lacks in the treble department. You don't get sparkle but you do get good definition and when needed, bite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back