Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #7,861 of 11,644
I don’t really want to do this comparison because of the massive price difference ($650 vs. $280).

The E5000 is very excellent value for the money considering the awesome cable it comes with (I’m using it for my Andromeda) and the neat little innovative case. The sound is also fairly balanced with a touch of warmth and just sounds euphoric to the ears despite not being the most revealing or neutral of sound signature. They get the “psychoacoustics” right.

The R1 is just a different class though. With the stock filters and the additional ones I have, I can change the sound signature from L-shape, V-shape, midcentric, bright, neutral, warm and balanced. The resolution is incredible too, especially when the ports are 100% open which increases the soundstage tremendously and resulting in better imaging and staging.

The only complaint I have with it is the stock cables are quite heavy and the housing while not the heaviest I’ve worn, is nowhere near the comfort of the E5000.

My cable makes a difference too =P When you go from silver-plated copper to pure silver, you increase treble and vocal presence and decrease bass quite a lot and tighten it. Add Spiral Dot to it, and it increases the bass a bit while retaining the qualities of the pure silver cable.

I can see why people would think the stock cable + Spiral Dots would be overly bassy and warm. My setup is already borderline overly warm (which imo, is my preference) and the stock set up (cables and FA tips) is already borderline overly warm for a lot of people too.

If it helps with the imr comparison I rather imagine that a lot of people on here would of got the "b stock" at £220 or so, which may even it out a tad.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #7,862 of 11,644
I think ear anatomy and of course preference account for this. The Spiral Dots bring the driver closer to your ear drum. It changes the sound for the better, for ME. Boomy is not what I hear, but I understand this may be the case for others. I love the e5000 with and without the Spiral Dots. The added bass with them however is my preference.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #7,863 of 11,644
No worries boss. I don't find it necessarily boomy with Spiral Dots either. The bass is still punchy, quick and well-defined, just too much for my taste. We like what we like.

Man do these E5K need some power. I knew that going in with the 93db sensitivity, but still. If I try to listen out of my Pixel I get 1 maybe 2 notches of headroom and that's it. And that only works for modern recordings that are already loud, anything older or with proper dynamic range, forget it. Can't decide if I want to give something like the Hidizs Sonata a try or give a cheap DAP like the Shanling M0 a try. The DAP wouldn't have access to my streaming services where I have plenty of playlists and such though, hmm.

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #7,864 of 11,644
No worries boss. I don't find it necessarily boomy with Spiral Dots either. The bass is still punchy, quick and well-defined, just too much for my taste. We like what we like.

Man do these E5K need some power. I knew that going in with the 93db sensitivity, but still. If I try to listen out of my Pixel I get 1 maybe 2 notches of headroom and that's it. And that only works for modern recordings that are already loud, anything older or with proper dynamic range, forget it. Can't decide if I want to give something like the Hidizs Sonata a try or give a cheap DAP like the Shanling M0 a try. The DAP wouldn't have access to my streaming services where I have plenty of playlists and such though, hmm.

I found the same thing. Most modern recordings I had enough power, but with some older recordings I still needed more. That's why I went with a balanced cable for them. You get all the power you need that way. The trouble with that solution is most people don't have a source with a balanced output.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #7,865 of 11,644
If it helps with the imr comparison I rather imagine that a lot of people on here would of got the "b stock" at £220 or so, which may even it out a tad.
Exactly! I paid mine 265€ for A+ b-stock, so basically new. Quite the bargain I must say!

Try the Radsone ES100! It’s like the M0 but without the DAP functionality. Driven from your phone, so you keep access to all of the streaming services, even using mobile data (no DAP can rival that), and it’s got plenty of power, esp. balanced (it’s super-tiny but sports a 2.5 mm balanced socket). It’s a soft, AKM sound (double DAC!), very different from the Sabre implementations, that should pair well with the E5000 from what I’m reading here.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #7,868 of 11,644
The "not hard to drive by any means" part is also not accurate.
I would agree with you about this and more over the review does not mention they leak quite a lot of sound that's the reason I decided to return them, I could not use them in the office.
Last remark : "The Final E5000 (...) for the price you get a flat yet precise IEM." They are far from flat!

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #7,869 of 11,644
I would agree with you about this and more over the review does not mention they leak quite a lot of sound that's the reason I decided to return them, I could not use them in the office.
Last remark : "The Final E5000 (...) for the price you get a flat yet precise IEM." They are far from flat!
Both the E4000 and E5000 indeed benefit from being driven by a more powerful source, although there is also the way these have been designed that might inadvertently motivate people to turn up the volume more than usual. Final designed them to build up less acoustic pressure and that reduces some of the immediacy of the sound compared to a fully closed design. That takes some adjustment, but I found that it also leads me to push the volume a little higher than I would normally go.

As for "flat"... I again agree with you there, the E5000 are anything but flat. It is a very cleverly done signature that I personally feel is a type of U-shape tilted with an emphasis towards the bass (others might feel it is more accurately described as L-shaped) that is incredibly energetic and balanced in the right way for popular types of music (pop, rock, etc).

I think both are great IEMs and really good fun, with only a few notable drawbacks such as the sound leakage that I think is more noticeable than with my E2000, and the microphonics with the cable of the E5000.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #7,871 of 11,644
The E5000 sounds really nice. It's been taking a lot of my listening time. There's something about single drivers that have amazing coherency (ER4SR, Orion, E5000).

I'm currently using the stock tips (Final Audio Tips, E-series) + pure silver litz cable + 2.5mm balanced + Cayin N5ii and it sounds great. No issues with power (balanced output helps this). Amazing soundstage and extension on both ends. Vocals not recessed and crystal clear.

This IEM has a really sweet sound to it. Honey-like :)

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #7,873 of 11,644
Is there an single driver dynamic IEM which sounds similar to the final e5000 but with higher resolution?

I love the overall smoothness musicality, and sweetness of the e5000, but as someone who listens to iems at a relatively low volume, I find the resolution and details slightly lacking.

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #7,875 of 11,644
Is there an single driver dynamic IEM which sounds similar to the final e5000 but with higher resolution?

I love the overall smoothness musicality, and sweetness of the e5000, but as someone who listens to iems at a relatively low volume, I find the resolution and details slightly lacking.
I would say E4000 will satisfy you.. similar warm + smooth signature, but slightly brighter. Details will be more apparent with the E4000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back