Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 21, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #7,846 of 11,644
I haven't tried the dongle, but I tried them with the HIDIZS Sonata HD DAC and they do sound pretty nice :)

Nowhere near Burson Play or iFi xDSD, but still pretty darn good :)
I'm sure the Sonata powers them better than the lightning dongle, but the lightning dongle is <1ohm output, I've never found any information on the output impedance on the Sonata, which is why I've never bought one.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #7,847 of 11,644
If you want a deep insertion, you can actually wear it over the ear:

The cable has enough slack to allow it. Doesn't change the sound either. Very light and comfortable.
I am not a fan of IEMs and especially wearing over the ear, I never get perfect fit (my ears may be a bad design). That's the reason I am looking for IEMs like E5000 and Campfire Comet as they can be worn down.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #7,848 of 11,644
I am not a fan of IEMs and especially wearing over the ear, I never get perfect fit (my ears may be a bad design). That's the reason I am looking for IEMs like E5000 and Campfire Comet as they can be worn down.

Over the ears usually gives me the deepest insertion and isolation. However, our ears are all different.

Comets are great worn down. Same with the Atlas.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #7,849 of 11,644
Hi Guys, Just a small update/tip on tips for E5000.
After some long listening sessions with SpinFits, I find these to be the ideal tips. These (basic single flange SpinFits) add a little brightness to the mix which suits the E5000s perfectly.
Switching to Final E type tips you can see the added darkness it gives to the overall tonality. I still use the stock tips for the E4000, the warmth is done well there, but for the E5000s SpinFits are just unbeatable, in fact, i would go so far and say, necessary (updated my review with this little detail as well).

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #7,850 of 11,644
Hi Guys, Just a small update/tip on tips for E5000.
After some long listening sessions with SpinFits, I find these to be the ideal tips. These (basic single flange SpinFits) add a little brightness to the mix which suits the E5000s perfectly.
Switching to Final E type tips you can see the added darkness it gives to the overall tonality. I still use the stock tips for the E4000, the warmth is done well there, but for the E5000s SpinFits are just unbeatable, in fact, i would go so far and say, necessary (updated my review with this little detail as well).

Spinfit tips tend to be the best for almost any IEM, though for comfort alone, Final did a stellar job with their tips

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #7,851 of 11,644
Spinfit tips tend to be the best for almost any IEM, though for comfort alone, Final did a stellar job with their tips

Eh, although SpinFits do sound great with a lot of IEMs, I find tip rolling the best to suit what sound you want. For me, almost all my IEMs use different tips which makes buying tips a bit of a hassle sometimes =P

Orions - Symbio W
Andromeda - Spiral Dot
Bravado - Final Audio E Series
E5000 - Spiral Dot
ER4SR - Shure Olive Tips
IMR R1 - Symbio N
Supra-II - Final Audio E Series (but haven't tried with other ones yet, being repaired).
RE400 - SpinFits
IT01 - SpinFits

Previous IEMs:

Roxanne II - SpinFits
Angie I - SpinFits
Atlas - stock marshmallow tips

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #7,852 of 11,644
Yep. Tip rolling on your own is best. It's good to get sound impressions for different tips from people, but ultimately you need to explore this on your own. I found that Spiral Dots got my e5000 to near basshead levels, which is perfect for me. I also tried the Spinfits. The sound was a little more balanced, which is ok, but the comfort was odd because they made the e5000s stick out of my ears an extra few millimeters causing occasional seal problems when moving. Not good for me, plus the little extra bass of the Spiral Dots is heavenly imo.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #7,853 of 11,644
Yep. Tip rolling on your own is best. It's good to get sound impressions for different tips from people, but ultimately you need to explore this on your own. I found that Spiral Dots got my e5000 to near basshead levels, which is perfect for me. I also tried the Spinfits. The sound was a little more balanced, which is ok, but the comfort was odd because they made the e5000s stick out of my ears an extra few millimeters causing occasional seal problems when moving. Not good for me, plus the little extra bass of the Spiral Dots is heavenly imo.

Great! I actually have not tested my Spiral Dots with my E5000 yet (I just got the dots). I'll try them tonight.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #7,854 of 11,644
Eh, although SpinFits do sound great with a lot of IEMs, I find tip rolling the best to suit what sound you want. For me, almost all my IEMs use different tips which makes buying tips a bit of a hassle sometimes =P

Orions - Symbio W
Andromeda - Spiral Dot
Bravado - Final Audio E Series
E5000 - Final Audio E Series
ER4SR - Shure Olive Tips
IMR R1 - Symbio N
Supra-II - Final Audio E Series (but haven't tried with other ones yet, being repaired).
RE400 - SpinFits
IT01 - SpinFits

Previous IEMs:

Roxanne II - SpinFits
Angie I - SpinFits
Atlas - stock marshmallow tips

Very nice!

To be honest, I tend to be very little tip picky with most IEMs nowadays (Man, I wish I could tip roll IE800...), but my girl actually is using Final E series tips on every single IEM she uses.

Tip rolling every IEM should be a really fun activity to do though, especially if you want to get the absolute best performance you can out of an IEM. (Man, I wish I could tip roll IE800...)

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #7,856 of 11,644
I'm curious, how did it go?

It went great! Good seal and very nice sound. Comparable to the stock tips except more comfortable and easier insertion for me.

FDE81C62-941D-4EC6-BEF4-9349DE8BB09B.jpeg

E5000 + pure silver cable + Balanced 2.5mm + JVC Spiral Dot tips feels like a warm fuzzy blanket coddling your ears.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #7,857 of 11,644
It went great! Good seal and very nice sound. Comparable to the stock tips except more comfortable and easier insertion for me.

E5000 + pure silver cable + Balanced 2.5mm + JVC Spiral Dot tips feels like a warm fuzzy blanket coddling your ears.
Hey @Colors, since I see you posting here and on the IMR R1 thread, how would you compare the two? @Dobrescu George already laid out a great comparison, I’m just interested in more impressions.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #7,858 of 11,644
I respectfully disagree on the Spiral Dots. They are more comfortable (they usually are), but on the E5k I find they increase the bass so much it completely overpowers the mids/treble, making them even darker. The bass is already just to the line of bleeding for me, so the Spiral Dots just exacerbate this. The SpinFits are comfortable too, being a bit thinner and do give a more balanced sound overall, but I'm not sure I like how it slightly hollows out the wonderful mids, so I'm on the stock tips.

Just offering a differing opinion, this could all change as I continue to try various tips.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #7,859 of 11,644
I respectfully disagree on the Spiral Dots. They are more comfortable (they usually are), but on the E5k I find they increase the bass so much it completely overpowers the mids/treble, making them even darker. The bass is already just to the line of bleeding for me, so the Spiral Dots just exacerbate this
I hear the same. Spiral dots makes the E5K boomy, for me as well. The one who preferred Spiral Dots did mention he was a basshead, and likes this kind of sound.

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #7,860 of 11,644
Hey @Colors, since I see you posting here and on the IMR R1 thread, how would you compare the two? @Dobrescu George already laid out a great comparison, I’m just interested in more impressions.

I don’t really want to do this comparison because of the massive price difference ($650 vs. $280).

The E5000 is very excellent value for the money considering the awesome cable it comes with (I’m using it for my Andromeda) and the neat little innovative case. The sound is also fairly balanced with a touch of warmth and just sounds euphoric to the ears despite not being the most revealing or neutral of sound signature. They get the “psychoacoustics” right.

The R1 is just a different class though. With the stock filters and the additional ones I have, I can change the sound signature from L-shape, V-shape, midcentric, bright, neutral, warm and balanced. The resolution is incredible too, especially when the ports are 100% open which increases the soundstage tremendously and resulting in better imaging and staging.

The only complaint I have with it is the stock cables are quite heavy and the housing while not the heaviest I’ve worn, is nowhere near the comfort of the E5000.

I respectfully disagree on the Spiral Dots. They are more comfortable (they usually are), but on the E5k I find they increase the bass so much it completely overpowers the mids/treble, making them even darker. The bass is already just to the line of bleeding for me, so the Spiral Dots just exacerbate this. The SpinFits are comfortable too, being a bit thinner and do give a more balanced sound overall, but I'm not sure I like how it slightly hollows out the wonderful mids, so I'm on the stock tips.

Just offering a differing opinion, this could all change as I continue to try various tips.

My cable makes a difference too =P When you go from silver-plated copper to pure silver, you increase treble and vocal presence and decrease bass quite a lot and tighten it. Add Spiral Dot to it, and it increases the bass a bit while retaining the qualities of the pure silver cable.

I can see why people would think the stock cable + Spiral Dots would be overly bassy and warm. My setup is already borderline overly warm (which imo, is my preference) and the stock set up (cables and FA tips) is already borderline overly warm for a lot of people too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back