Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #7,441 of 11,644
That's it, FI-BA-SS ordered this morning (880$), have to wait 15 days or so (it will be long, very long...).
FI-BA-SST35 was available near 1100$ but i couldn't find enough feed back to go with it. Hope i do not regret after a while ...
Thanks Ninaraduga for your advice !

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #7,442 of 11,644
Hi guys

I'd like to replace my old but still valiant Jays Q Jays (first generation). With my Cowon S9, It was a perfect duo for the price . With my new Cowon Plénue 1, I want to go next step.

After reading a lot of iem reviews (and all this thread), I kept in mind a few of them.
Now it's time to choose but not that simple since I can't try them before buying !

My preference goes to FAD's products ( Heaven VI, VII, VIII or FI BASS) but I'm also thinking about Sennheiser IE 800 and Cardas EM 5813 which appear to be great choices as well.
In FAD's family, FI BASS seems to have the unanimity and heaven VI seems to be more popular than its later versions. But what about IE 800 and EM 5813 compared to FAD ?

At the time of selection, your help could be precious if anyone of you tried those products.

Precision: I primarily listen to metal, hard-rock but also all other styles from time to time.

Thanks. (sorry for my english, I'm french).

A quick reply with phone while having lunch at work.

I have the Heaven VII, VIII, IE 800 anf Fi-BA-SS.
I too like you listen to a lot of metal ( but hardly any rock)
for me the FIbass has clearly the better sound, I concurr with ninaraduga, the IE 800 has no chance against the fibass.

I prefer the top Piano Forte though because of their superb imaging and soundstage but because of their weight and size they can easily drop off your head if you are moving so this limits their use to immobile activities (for me when laying in bed )

Additional nice and inexpensive buys for metal are Focal Sphear and Sparks.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #7,443 of 11,644
Thanks for your quick response. I had read this (but read too much to remember everything).
However, I forgot to ask if the FI BASS was very noisy for people near us (the only semi-open in my selection) . I often listen to music late with my wife sleeping right next to me !

I too often with my wife sleeping next to me, or before she goes to bed.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #7,444 of 11,644
A quick reply with phone while having lunch at work.

I have the Heaven VII, VIII, IE 800 anf Fi-BA-SS.
I too like you listen to a lot of metal ( but hardly any rock)
for me the FIbass has clearly the better sound, I concurr with ninaraduga, the IE 800 has no chance against the fibass.

I prefer the top Piano Forte though because of their superb imaging and soundstage but because of their weight and size they can easily drop off your head if you are moving so this limits their use to immobile activities (for me when laying in bed )

Additional nice and inexpensive buys for metal are Focal Sphear and Sparks.

Thanks for your contribution , that reinforces my choice.
I can listen music for 1 to 3 hours in my bed so this discretion dimension is important .

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #7,445 of 11,644
I own both the AKR02 (custom FI-BA-SS) and the IE800, and I concur the fibass is the better performer overall. There are some qualities I prefer with the IE800 depending on music, so for me it makes for a complimentary companion to my AKR02.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #7,446 of 11,644

My preference goes to FAD's products ( Heaven VI, VII, VIII or FI BASS) but I'm also thinking about Sennheiser IE 800 and Cardas EM 5813 which appear to be great choices as well.
In FAD's family, FI BASS seems to have the unanimity and heaven VI seems to be more popular than its later versions. But what about IE 800 and EM 5813 compared to FAD ?

At the time of selection, your help could be precious if anyone of you tried those products.

Precision: I primarily listen to metal, hard-rock but also all other styles from time to time..

Here a post where I shared my impressions re. the unique (often called "magic") experience of listening to several genres of metal music with the Piano Forte VIIl-X (due to their incredible imaging):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fin...scussion-thread.613641/page-472#post-13347127

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #7,447 of 11,644
That's it, FI-BA-SS ordered this morning (880$), have to wait 15 days or so (it will be long, very long...).
FI-BA-SST35 was available near 1100$ but i couldn't find enough feed back to go with it. Hope i do not regret after a while ...

I didn't listen to hard rock, metal, or goth rock in more than 10 years...and this discussion made me curious...I have the FI-BA-SST....so i fired up some Manowar, and one of my favorite albums from my childhood Theatre of Tragedy - Aegis.
It's quite amazing how fast and controlled the SST can be with Manowar. I don't think i ever heard such a good clarity and separation between drums, bass guitar, electric guitars and voice...But the highlight for me was Theatre of Tragedy.....excelent low end power and speed, and a magnificent presentation of the male/female duo voices....
BTW...no comparisons between SS and SST yet?

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #7,448 of 11,644

Congratulations!

I have two of the best sub $1,000- Dita Truth and Fibass. Fibass is the better one.

It appears to me that fibass requires at least 300 hours of breaking-in...and there's still improvement up till 500 hours.

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #7,449 of 11,644
Congratulations!

I have two of the best sub $1,000- Dita Truth and Fibass. Fibass is the better one.

It appears to me that fibass requires at least 300 hours of breaking-in...and there's still improvement up till 500 hours.

I totally agree. Dita Truth, Dream is so terrible ...... Probably the most boring earphones that I heard.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #7,451 of 11,644
I know what I'll have to do then !

Yeh. Don't be too enthusiastic to listen them critically.

Try the taralabs cascade burn in track. It's free to download on their site.

It seems that the xlo sweep and densen demagic are real good. It's free on YouTube

IMG_4902.JPG

Aug 23, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #7,453 of 11,644
Yeh. Don't be too enthusiastic to listen them critically.

Try the taralabs cascade burn in track. It's free to download on their site.

It seems that the xlo sweep and densen demagic are real good. It's free on YouTube

Thanks for the links, I'll try this .
15 days to receive it, 20 days to burn it , the road to music nirvana is so long !

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #7,455 of 11,644
I just got the AKR02 from the A&K website on closeout at $650 – the bad news is that the cable is having issues and the sound cuts out. Contacted A&K service, they basically say that my only option is to return it for a refund.

However I like the AKR02 a lot when it works. And I’m reluctant to return them and give up such a nice deal. Reading around it seems that a lot of buyers have had cable issues, so no surprise there.

So I’m looking to replace the cable. It seems that there are a few options:
  1. The Q-JAYS replacement cable is supposed to fit and costs $49. Not great looking though.
  2. Does the FAD replacement cable fit the AKR02? It looks great but is pricey at $200+.
  3. Has anyone ever tried fixing a cable? It doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to do, if you are good with a soldering iron.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back