Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 23, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #7,351 of 11,642
the piano forte x don't realy need a amp, they are very easy to drive. but i like the combination with the analog squared paper tr-07hp amp, a nice litte vfet (transistors that act like a tridode tube) amp, look here https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/a...scussion-thread.632518/page-246#post-12130254 . two things are not so good, only 4h play time and it takes 1/4 h to sound best. for me the tr-07hp has a very similar character like the piano forte x, the extra bass from the tr-07hp is a perfect match.

I have read some reviews, seems like analog2p would pair quite well with pfx or maybe other final's product as well.
I am interested in their products now.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #7,354 of 11,642
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #7,356 of 11,642
I have a long time all PF, well warmed up. Perhaps your example shows the power of burning. PF 10 after 500 hours of burning just destroy ALL other earphones (vocal, acoustic, pop music). Without burning, they are very similar to PF 8, 9. I simultaneously had a heated PF 8 and I just bought PF 10 and even PF 8 seemed better in comparison with crude PF 10. I was very upset, because the difference in price is very high between 10 and 8, which did not affect the sound as it seemed to me then. But after long burning ... The difference became incredible.

Even if we assume that burn-in is for real, why would it change the difference between the PF 8, 9 and 10? AFAIK it's the same driver in different metal housings, so the changes (if any at all) should be the same.

Or are you suggesting that the housings might burn in?

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #7,357 of 11,642
Has anyone heard the PFx and Campfire audio Andromeda? Any thoughts which would be better?
Andromeda is boring, ordinary, a lot of bass.Does not cause any emotion. Terrible fit in the ear.
PF - euphoric, magical, mid-centric, little bass.

You need to choose a specific style of music. For metal, alternative, hard rock, Andromeda is ideal. In the rest it is worse than PF

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #7,358 of 11,642
Even if we assume that burn-in is for real, why would it change the difference between the PF 8, 9 and 10? AFAIK it's the same driver in different metal housings, so the changes (if any at all) should be the same.

Or are you suggesting that the housings might burn in?

The driver is one, the frequency response is one, but the difference is COLOSSAL. Why? I do not know! In Dita Brass, Dita Answer and Dita Truth too, one driver. But the difference is VERY big.In Flare Audio R2A, R2S and R2Pro, too, one driver and also a big difference. As far as I know, the driver setting affects.

Developers specifically "worsen" the sound in more budget models. I do not see any other explanation. They make the driver sound worse, and in the top models it is fully disclosed. But this is a conjecture. Truth - I do not know.

Do you think Final Audio just did PF 8 cheaper 9, and 9 cheaper 10? No! The difference between 8 and 9 is very strong, and the difference between 9 and 10 is even stronger! The price of PF 10 in 2000 dollars is set perfectly (I compare with the prices of other "tops" on the market, which sound 30-50 percent of PF 10). You can believe or not believe. Just need to hear.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #7,359 of 11,642
The driver is one, the frequency response is one, but the difference is COLOSSAL. Why? I do not know! In Dita Brass, Dita Answer and Dita Truth too, one driver. But the difference is VERY big.In Flare Audio R2A, R2S and R2Pro, too, one driver and also a big difference. As far as I know, the driver setting affects.

Developers specifically "worsen" the sound in more budget models. I do not see any other explanation. They make the driver sound worse, and in the top models it is fully disclosed. But this is a conjecture. Truth - I do not know.

Do you think Final Audio just did PF 8 cheaper 9, and 9 cheaper 10? No! The difference between 8 and 9 is very strong, and the difference between 9 and 10 is even stronger! The price of PF 10 in 2000 dollars is set perfectly (I compare with the prices of other "tops" on the market, which sound 30-50 percent of PF 10). You can believe or not believe. Just need to hear.

Cables can change in sound, too. I'm not sure if the PF 8, 9, & 10 all use the exact same dielectric/conductor materials.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #7,360 of 11,642
Exactly, I had a piano forte x-g for over a year unbelievable experience
But after a year of intencive use cable just split :frowning2: So i opened it and I changed the cable ( cable from sony mdr ex 1000 ) to my surprise magic from x-g has dissappear...

So from my experience point
I think for every model they use other cables like( silver piano forte x-g ) (copper piano forte viiii) ....

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #7,361 of 11,642
Exactly, I had a piano forte x-g for over a year unbelievable experience
But after a year of intencive use cable just split :frowning2: So i opened it and I changed the cable ( cable from sony mdr ex 1000 ) to my surprise magic from x-g has dissappear...

So from my experience point
I think for every model they use other cables like( silver piano forte x-g ) (copper piano forte viiii) ....

Yes, I've had similar experiences with cables in general, both home and portable.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #7,362 of 11,642
The FI-BA-SS is really exceptional, and the earphone I point to first when someone doubts FAD's ability to make audiophile-caliber products. Right now I'm comparing my white-cabled FI-BA-SS to James444's black-cabled one. The white version isn't available to consumers, but is specially tuned to the company president's tastes and only given to FAD employees and individuals with connections to the company. It's tuned to be slightly warmer and more laid back compared to the black version.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think FAD has two distinct sides. Their balanced armatures have a broader appeal and are more inline with what one might expect from reference earphones. Their dynamic earphones on the other hand are much more unusual and have more of a distinct flavor to them, the result of their "in house" vision: creating earphones that replicate the sound of vintage horn speakers. I simply adore my Piano Forte IX and X-CC. No other top-tier IEM sounds anything like them.

Springbiscuit, thank you for compiling the links in your post above.

MuppetFace, thank for your impressions, I want to mention that you forgot about the LAB II,
for me their only product which can be really seen as a reference ( for me clearly more than the Fi-BA-SS . I cant say for the LAB I which I don t have,)
although the LAB II has a dynamic driver.
the downside is that the LAB II doesnt have the mystic coloration of the top PF.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #7,363 of 11,642
2017-06-28 15-00-31-IMGP4230.jpg
Auditioned final's new prototype planer headphones (bigger diagphram version) at final showroom today.
I didn't like the older version with modified Sonorous housing, but this new one, I love it!
Flat, natural, and relaxing, yet not bland sound. They were modestly easy to drive as well. (not extreme sensitive like Sonorous VI)
They said it is not the final product and design will be changed, but sound wise, I though it was perfect.
Just the high price (estimated 300k yen, which means around $2,700) and headband design not matching the housing, which I don't like.
Said to be go on sale in Autumn.

btw, there were new PianoForte series with new cables like FI-BA-SST vs FI-BA-SS.
(I didn't auditioned though, since metal PF series are not my taste)

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #7,364 of 11,642

I think you misread my post, I don't doubt the differences between PF 8, 9 and 10. The have different housing material after all, with different resonant chracteristics, and resonance plays an important role in PF's sound signature.

I just said that the alleged changes by burn-in cannot affect the three models differently, since their drivers are identical and housing characteristics don't change.

As for the Flare Audios R2A and R2Pro, ime their difference in sound is largely caused by airflow, not housing material.

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #7,365 of 11,642

Auditioned final's new prototype planer headphones (bigger diagphram version) at final showroom today.
I didn't like the older version with modified Sonorous housing, but this new one, I love it!
Flat, natural, and relaxing, yet not bland sound. They were modestly easy to drive as well. (not extreme sensitive like Sonorous VI)
They said it is not the final product and design will be changed, but sound wise, I though it was perfect.
Just the high price (estimated 300k yen, which means around $2,700) and headband design not matching the housing, which I don't like.
Said to be go on sale in Autumn.

Thank you, Licht.

Do you remember your impressions re. punch?
Let me explain my issue :
I like to listen to metal and I find that all my planar headphones (LCD-X, Oppo PM-2, Ether C) wanting for metal or for hardrock because they lack too much punch, dynamics compared to what you can often get with dynamic hp (e.g. Sonorous, AKG 812, etc. , although few dynamic hp do lack punch like the HD 800) .
So I would like to know whether they lack punch like other planar hp
or whether they have about as much punch as what dynamic hp often deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back