Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #7,366 of 11,642
btw, there were new PianoForte series with new cables like FI-BA-SST vs FI-BA-SS.
(I didn't auditioned though, since metal PF series are not my taste)

Good to hear the cables are being improved.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #7,367 of 11,642
Thank you, Licht.

Do you remember your impressions re. punch?
Let me explain my issue :
I like to listen to metal and I find that all my planar headphones (LCD-X, Oppo PM-2, Ether C) wanting for metal or for hardrock because they lack too much punch, dynamics compared to what you can often get with dynamic hp (e.g. Sonorous, AKG 812, etc. , although few dynamic hp do lack punch like the HD 800) .
So I would like to know whether they lack punch like other planar hp
or whether they have about as much punch as what dynamic hp often deliver.

Unfortunately, I haven't compared in that point of view, but final staff said they,ve improved exactly that issue.

I'm just so used to not punchy sound (SR-Omega, ETHER Flow, HD650, etc) and when I want punch, I REALLY crank up the volume or use Pandora Hope VI (with B pads).
I listen to classical, jazz, pop, and some metal.

However, though the new planer having natural smooth sound, when I listened to metal at last, they had punchier fast bass than I thought it would come from. (But didn't focus on that at the time)
The showroom at the HQ opens twice per month, onece on weekday and the other on weekend.
Maybe I can bring my ETHER Flow and focus on the issue next time.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #7,370 of 11,642
Sorry if this has already been discussed at length, but could someone please fill me in on the different sound characteristics of the Piano Forte X-G vs the Lab II. Preferably someone who has heard both of them. I'd like to get a feel for any differences in frequency response and soundstage. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edit: nevermind, after much reading I found some comparisons.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #7,371 of 11,642
Look what just arrived ready for CanJam London:

IMG_20170710_103137-01.jpeg

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #7,374 of 11,642
Ordered the FI-BA-SST25 for my AK320 today. Guess it will be a great match. :sunglasses:

Looking forward to your observations. I own the AKR02 which is A&Ks version of the FI-BA-SS with a detachable SPC cable ... my reference IEM. I've only listened to one other more expensive IEM that I would gladly upgrade to, the tia Fourte, but its $3,600 price tag is too hefty for me.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #7,375 of 11,642
Having a problem with my Piano Forte XIII’s that I bought in January from FAD through Amazon. The right side has a buzzing sound, especially on low frequencies. I checked it against another IEM, the Heaven VI, and it’s definitely the PF VIII and not the player. Very disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Also, does anyone know how to contact Final Audio to get a defective IEM fixed under warranty? I tried calling the US rep (no answer) and emailing the FAD website, with no results.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #7,376 of 11,642
Having a problem with my Piano Forte XIII’s that I bought in January from FAD through Amazon. The right side has a buzzing sound, especially on low frequencies. I checked it against another IEM, the Heaven VI, and it’s definitely the PF VIII and not the player. Very disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Also, does anyone know how to contact Final Audio to get a defective IEM fixed under warranty? I tried calling the US rep (no answer) and emailing the FAD website, with no results.

Sorry for your troubles. You've done all the things I would do, but I'd keep trying the US distributor. You could call final in Japan, but that may be costly.

Is there a possibility something got inside the right channel and that is the source of the buzzing? I presume you didn't have the buzzing when you first got them.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #7,377 of 11,642
Looking forward to your observations. I own the AKR02 which is A&Ks version of the FI-BA-SS with a detachable SPC cable ... my reference IEM. I've only listened to one other more expensive IEM that I would gladly upgrade to, the tia Fourte, but its $3,600 price tag is too hefty for me.

Stay tuned. These babies need some burn in.... :wink:

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #7,378 of 11,642

I would keep trying the phone number...sometimes, they are backed up with other emails and voice mails...

I was told the best time to phone is between 10 and 11am when the office opens in Florida...

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #7,380 of 11,642
Thinking of getting some custom sleeves for the AKR02. Could this adversely impact the sound, like some people claim it does with the ER4? Using spin fits at the moment but with the shells being quite heavy they tend to slip out quite often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back