Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #3,661 of 11,644
http://www.head-fi.org/t/694117/aurisonics-rockets-appreciation-thread-preliminary-impressions/540#post_10224156

I see that Woodcans has already beaten AS to the punch :wink:

Seriously cool. Are you messing with the exposure settings (long exposure) to achieve this?

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #3,664 of 11,644
  After much consideration, I've decided that I'm gonna put my Pandora Hope VI up for sale. Even though I really enjoy listening to it, its sound signature just doesn't match my tastes completely and I haven't had much time to listen to them at home anyways so I think it's better if they went to someone else. It will be missed though :frowning2: The info is in my sig if anyone is interested.

Just grab my Hope VI last weekend. My current headphone is TH600 and for me I kinda love the sound signature. It is a little bit weird, unique, and interesting for me. The bass extension is great and the BA gives that kick of micro details that I don't get from my TH600. (i don't use any amps so this might be the reason). I never liked any other FADs IEMs, but Hope VI works pretty well for me. comfort is an issue though. I don't know is it just me, but Hope VI stage is not vast, a bit all over my head but sounds intimate which is a very unique presentation for me.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #3,665 of 11,644
Yeah after living with the PHVI for a couple weeks, I realized that I actually really love the sound signature. I have noticed a few changes in sound due to burn-in. The bass seems to have tightened up and become less overpowering, instead blending in very nicely with the rest of the other sound frequencies. I no longer notice a strange separation between instruments handled by the DD and those handled by the BA. Also, soundstage has opened up a bit. One thing I've noticed about the soundstage is that it really conforms to the music that is playing. Music with an intimate soundstage has a noticeably smaller stage while music such as large orchestral pieces has a very huge stage. I've never heard a headphone or IEM that made this difference in soundstage between songs so apparent. This wasn't something I realized until I had sampled a large range of my music collection. I would say the maximum soundstage of the PHVI is actually far wider than my AD2000X. How FAD did this with a closed headphone completely astounds me. I think I might just end up keeping the PHVI after all, I've become too addicted to its sound at this point. Really hoping that FAD releases new pads soon though.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3,666 of 11,644
Okay, I'm joining the FAD family. I ordered the Heaven V. Well, actually this will be my second FAD. I do own the Adagio III and thanks to james444, I heard (and enjoyed) the FI-BA-SS a couple of years ago. So I hope the V will remind of the FI-BA-SS a little bit.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #3,667 of 11,644
  Okay, I'm joining the FAD family. I ordered the Heaven V. Well, actually this will be my second FAD. I do own the Adagio III and thanks to james444, I heard (and enjoyed) the FI-BA-SS a couple of years ago. So I hope the V will remind of the FI-BA-SS a little bit.

And what impressions remain of FI-BA-SS ?

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #3,668 of 11,644
  And what impressions remain of FI-BA-SS ?

Again, it's been like two years ago, but I remember thinking it was one of the most natural sounding earphones I've heard at that time. I especially remember loving the sound of piano and drums. I think the highs were a bit too sharp for me at times, but I can't remember much of what I thought about the highs. I did like the sound better than I liked the EX1000 (which was very good except for clearly piercing highs).

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #3,669 of 11,644

Don't make this mistake lol. It's not of that family of Heavens.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,670 of 11,644
Don't make this mistake lol. It's not of that family of Heavens.

How would I make a mistake? I don't expect it to sound like the FI-BA-SS. That's a $1K earphone. I think I stated "remind me of it." And when I say remind me, I'm not talking about the bass or anything specific but the natural sound of the the signature earphone. Now, I've read some reviews here that say it is in that vein. Are you saying it's not? If so, how are both different (I take you've heard the FI-BA-SS and all of the Heavens)? This will be my first Heaven, so I don't know what to expect, but I'm game to hear it for myself. If I don't like it I have no problem selling it.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #3,672 of 11,644
If you're honestly chasin after the sound sig of the FIBASS, I'd look at the Heaven S instead. Both James and Music own the FIBASS and the Heaven S, and I've got on good word from Music that the Heaven S offers about 90% of the FIBASS performance for like $200. FAD kinda has a history of repurposing their drivers but the signature/performance is affected by their use of different metals in the housing.

When I had the Heaven S, I personally didn't feel like it was similar to the Heaven VI

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #3,673 of 11,644
How would I make a mistake? I don't expect it to sound like the FI-BA-SS. That's a $1K earphone. I think I stated "remind me of it." And when I say remind me, I'm not talking about the bass or anything specific but the natural sound of the the signature earphone. Now, I've read some reviews here that say it is in that vein. Are you saying it's not? If so, how are both different (I take you've heard the FI-BA-SS and all of the Heavens)? This will be my first Heaven, so I don't know what to expect, but I'm game to hear it for myself. If I don't like it I have no problem selling it.

It does sound natural, but if the SS, which I haven't heard, sounds like people say, as a sort of Heaven A/C on steroids, which I have heard, it doesn't sound anything like the SS. It's a different target sound. That's what I meant.

Cancel your order. Now lol.

It's a great phone, but now what you're looking for.

LOL. Now now, let's not jump the gun. :D

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,674 of 11,644
I don't think you guys get me or what I'm saying. I'll be fine. No need to cancel the order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back