Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,631 of 11,644
So, I should've known better, having already heard all the Piano Forte before and none of them ever really appealed to me, but I knew after an hour that the 2.10 were eventually going into a drawer and seeing use maybe once every three months, or less, so I'm putting them up for sale:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701538/hoomia-bon-2-10-a-k-a-final-audio-design-fi-dc1350-m1-odm-oem-version

Hopefully, someone with a better, deeper appreciation for the Piano Forte sound will find more use for them.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,632 of 11,644
So the more time I spend with the Pandora Hope VI, the more unsure I am about selling it... I don't know if it's burn-in or brain-in but somehow its sound feels more and more addicting every time I put it on again. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it just has a warmth and lushness that draws me in. It is dependent on the track I'm listening to though, some tracks I don't feel are as engaging on the PHVI as they are on the Heaven V. I think it might partly depend on the amount of treble is in a track, as some tracks without much treble lack a bit of excitement on the PHVI. It also might depend on quality of the recording... I'm very unsure but I'll post more about it if I ever figure it out.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3,633 of 11,644
I'm still waiting for my source setup (DAC, AMP) as my gears broke down ><
PHVI is collecting dust there.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #3,635 of 11,644
  So the more time I spend with the Pandora Hope VI, the more unsure I am about selling it... I don't know if it's burn-in or brain-in but somehow its sound feels more and more addicting every time I put it on again. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it just has a warmth and lushness that draws me in. It is dependent on the track I'm listening to though, some tracks I don't feel are as engaging on the PHVI as they are on the Heaven V. I think it might partly depend on the amount of treble is in a track, as some tracks without much treble lack a bit of excitement on the PHVI. It also might depend on quality of the recording... I'm very unsure but I'll post more about it if I ever figure it out.

I feel the exact same way with my PF X-CCs. At times I feel like selling them because the price just seems a bit ridiculous for me to own them without feeling guilty. Then I put them on and use them for a session to be sure about letting them go, because i know I'd probably never find one used if I ever want one again, and I realise I can't let them go. Some tracks do not sound the same to me on any other headphone or IEM anymore after having owned these. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #3,637 of 11,644
After much consideration, I've decided that I'm gonna put my Pandora Hope VI up for sale. Even though I really enjoy listening to it, its sound signature just doesn't match my tastes completely and I haven't had much time to listen to them at home anyways so I think it's better if they went to someone else. It will be missed though :frowning2: The info is in my sig if anyone is interested.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #3,639 of 11,644
  I have thought of selling my PF-IX's, but every time I listen to them, I am compelled to keep them. No other 'phone can do what the IX's do to the midrange like the IX's do.

When you do not keep them, let me know. I'll be there. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3,640 of 11,644

I have thought of selling my PF-IX's, but every time I listen to them, I am compelled to keep them. No other 'phone can do what the IX's do to the midrange like the IX's do.

outstanding image!

Thank you, GG!!

When you do not keep them, let me know. I'll be there. 
biggrin.gif

quantx, 

Unfortunately, it may be a while. This is a pair of transducers that honestly transcends.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,642 of 11,644
Just a heads-up to those wondering about the Astell & Kern AKR02, I'll get a pair soon and will post my impressions vs. the FI-BA-SS in this thread.

Whoa. Do those carry the same price tag as the SS? I wrestled over pickin up a pair for the longest time on the FS but felt that the sig might be a tad redundant with the K3K around

Edit: $1,300? Lol yikes

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,643 of 11,644
Whoa. Do those carry the same price tag as the SS? I wrestled over pickin up a pair for the longest time on the FS but felt that the sig might be a tad redundant with the K3K around

Edit: $1,300? Lol yikes

I see you already answered your question yourself.
wink.gif
  Pretty steep, no? Especially in light of the fact that you can get the SS for little more than half of the AKR02's price these days.

I've been wondering and inquiring about potential sonic differences / improvements on the AKR02 vs. the SS, but nothing conclusive has come of it so far. Now they've hit the shops in Europe and curiosity got the best of me, lol. Well, I've been frank with the dealer about my intention to A/B them to the SS and he offered me money-back guarantee, so it's pretty much a no-brainer to take the chance and compare them side by side.

As for redundancy of the SS next to the K3K, I'd say these are sufficiently different to warrant having both, if you can afford it. Two of my all-time favorite IEMs.
smile_phones.gif

(Click the K3003 link in my sig for a short comparison.)

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #3,644 of 11,644
As for redundancy of the SS next to the K3K, I'd say these are sufficiently different to warrant having both, if you can afford it. Two of my all-time favorite IEMs. :smile_phones:
(Click the K3003 link in my sig for a short comparison.)

God dang it. Yeah there was a really tempting listing on the FS for a real long time. I think it was Dieblanc's...

Anywho, I had talked it over with Music and Soundfreaq which lead me to buy the Heaven S (prior to the K3K), which I really liked, but ultimately didn't keep as the condition of the phones didn't match what was described in the listing. I did read through your comparison of the SS and the S and was kinda stunned to find you stating that the SS was that much more resolving than the S. I figured it'd be a low level investment to get the SS since it's no longer in production, but ultimately, the draw of an "alien" sounding PF IX won out over the SS listing.

And Soundfreaq did link me to that same SS/K3K comparison some months back haha (he was wrestlin over pickin up the K3K himself after I raved about it :wink: )

Anywho, that's a pretty cool deal that your shop owner cut with you, even if it doesn't sound like there is any difference between the two phones after all. Would've been much more interestin if AK were able to license the technology and sell it at more sane price, but I suppose very well couldn't do anything to diminish the prestige of the AK brand

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,645 of 11,644
Been listening to The Maccabees - Given To The Wild on my PF's tonight, sounds excellent, the spacial ques and lushness is incredible. Then snapped some shots. Scary having a Zippo lighter just inces away from the PF's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back