FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Sep 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #121 of 611
Quote:
Edit: Is it possible to connect the E11 to the laptop via USB to bypass the internal amp? 

No. In fact, you can't use E11 when it is charging.

Quote:
I wonder if a USB to 3.5mm cable actually exist and does it bypass the internal amp or not.

Sure it does, USB to 3.5mm is the connector first generation iPod shuffle used, but it has nothing to do with bypassing anything.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #122 of 611

Quote:
I'm the 7 thousandth viewer, do I win a prize ? 
popcorn.gif
 I wonder if a USB to 3.5mm cable actually exist and does it bypass the internal amp or not.

i think USB to 3.5mm cable is actually exist. DIY-ers can make almost every kind of cable, even though this kind of cable is not common.

edit:yes... Ipod shuffle 1st gen use this kind of cable

Quote:
Oh yea.

Totally forgot about the USB ports, LOL !

So would the sound be way better with an E7 on? 

Edit: Is it possible to connect the E11 to the laptop via USB to bypass the internal amp? 

ya!!! i think it is possible to bypass the internal amp through USB to E11. however, there is no DAC or soundcard that changes the internal computer's digital data to analogue data. therefore, my prediction is there will be no sound produced (maybe some hiss) if u connect E11 to USB. CMIIW

Quote:
This is what a DAC like the E7 is for!

but again how to bypass the E7 internal amp?? to get its pure DAC output so that E6 can be connected to E7 without degrading the sound??
hell yeah... another connector to E7....... i guess????

edit: yeah... a fiio L7 connector is needed

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #124 of 611

Quote:
but again how to bypass the E7 internal amp?? to get its pure DAC output so that E6 can be connected to E7 without degrading the sound??

It is called FiiO L7.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #125 of 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ya!!! i think it is possible to bypass the internal amp through USB to E11. however, there is no DAC or soundcard that changes the internal computer's digital data to analogue data. therefore, my prediction is there will be no sound produced (maybe some hiss) if u connect E11 to USB. CMIIW

Cables are just wires.  Just think of the functionality that's necessary.  You need digital music data to be transported and converted to an analog waveform and then have that waveform amplified (buffered) by a high current output device to drive the headphones.  E11's USB connection is just for charging the device.  There's no chip that reads music data over USB and does DAC.

Quote:

E7 internal amp uses the same output stage chip as the E6 (and E5) and it's somewhat likely that the whole E6 amp as a whole is no better than the E7's amp--or at least they're probably very comparable.  So I'm not sure why one would connect an E7 to an E6.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #126 of 611
Hey Head-Fi-ers,

I've got an iPhone 4, Xears TD-III Blackwood and Shure SRH440s.

I just wondered would it be worth getting the E6 for this setup or would I not really notice any difference? Also how much difference does the Line Out cable for the iPhone 4 give compared to just using the Headphone Out?

I'm a uni student so although this is "quite" cheap, I do have a budget and the money for a E6 can go a long way haha.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #128 of 611

Quote:

Cables are just wires.  Just think of the functionality that's necessary.  You need digital music data to be transported and converted to an analog waveform and then have that waveform amplified (buffered) by a high current output device to drive the headphones.  E11's USB connection is just for charging the device.  There's no chip that reads music data over USB and does DAC.

ya! as i said the internal laptop's Opamp can be bypassed through USB port because of course the opamp would not exist in USB output. as i said before that there will be no sound produced as there is no DAC exist in E11
note: the fact that he want to connect from USB to 3.5mm input of E11
CMIIW

Quote:
E7 internal amp uses the same output stage chip as the E6 (and E5) and it's somewhat likely that the whole E6 amp as a whole is no better than the E7's amp--or at least they're probably very comparable.  So I'm not sure why one would connect an E7 to an E6.

some people said that E7 is somehow too warm and even dark. those who don't like dark sounding may find this as boring. ClieOS also states that E6 is balanced and even has its EQ features which somehow i think is better than Fiio E7 amping function. lastly, same output stage chip same opamp or even DAC chip could produce different sound signature. it all again depends on other factors such as resistor and capacitor even a solder tin could change sound signature. some people in my local forum also argue that a battery could change sound signature. CMIIW

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #129 of 611

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi-ers,

I just wondered would it be worth getting the E6 for this setup or would I not really notice any difference? Also how much difference does the Line Out cable for the iPhone 4 give compared to just using the Headphone Out?

I'm a uni student so although this is "quite" cheap, I do have a budget and the money for a E6 can go a long way haha.

Thanks!

Any addition to the iPhone is a plus imo - The E6 is fantastic - I've been using it more than me E11 recently - The red and purple EQ's are a bit pointless with what IEM's/headphones I have, but the blue and neutral are fantastic; they add a real clarity and fullness to my RE-262s - Paired with the J3 with BBE ViVa they sound amazing, no distortion, no cracking, just as if someone has fed them some steroids!

I've also got to say that the E6 seems so so light, is well made and feels pretty bomb proof for the material - The clip is well and truly unbreakable (to a certain extent) - The only downfall I can pick from this from the price is the fact it's a fingerprint magnet!
biggrin.gif

Edit : I've also used it for over 5 hours now straight out the box, and it's still running strong powering my RE-262's!

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #130 of 611
Hey Head-Fi-ers,

Thanks!
I personally don't think it will be worthwhile, the IP4 is already a really good source. I think that cash is better set on upgrading either one of your headphones.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #131 of 611
While waiing for my RE262 to arrive, I've decided that it's about time I should get a really tiny amp since everyone seems to say that the RE262 doesn't sound nearly as good as it could unamped.

So I came across this and the FiiO e6 seems to fit the bill. I got a few questions before I order it though. My setup is going to be an ipod touch->e6->re262 and I want it to be as portable as possible. 

So between http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-FE6-2118-E6-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8
and http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Headphone-Amplifier-Micca/dp/B005JT8OT6/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315248743&sr=1-9

Which on should I be looking to buy and what are the differences?

I would prefer something like a double ended 3.5mm jack cable to get from my ipod to the amp.

Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #132 of 611
Quote:
some people said that E7 is somehow too warm and even dark. those who don't like dark sounding may find this as boring. ClieOS also states that E6 is balanced and even has its EQ features which somehow i think is better than Fiio E7 amping function. lastly, same output stage chip same opamp or even DAC chip could produce different sound signature. it all again depends on other factors such as resistor and capacitor even a solder tin could change sound signature. some people in my local forum also argue that a battery could change sound signature. CMIIW

Should be that the circuit design and PCB layout that matter more so than the battery (and definitely solder), but yes there are things that make a difference other than the chips used.  Sometimes the design--and layout to a certain extent--can make a very significant diffreence.  I just wouldn't expect there to be a huge change since these are designed by FiiO under similar constraints.  If they claim an improvement of the E6 over than E5 I believe them though.  Certainly the E7 was a little bit better than the E5 even though they both use the same output chip (different input stage though).

Quote:
While waiing for my RE262 to arrive, I've decided that it's about time I should get a really tiny amp since everyone seems to say that the RE262 doesn't sound nearly as good as it could unamped.

So I came across this and the FiiO e6 seems to fit the bill. I got a few questions before I order it though. My setup is going to be an ipod touch->e6->re262 and I want it to be as portable as possible. 

So between http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-FE6-2118-E6-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8
and http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Headphone-Amplifier-Micca/dp/B005JT8OT6/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315248743&sr=1-9

Which on should I be looking to buy and what are the differences?

I would prefer something like a double ended 3.5mm jack cable to get from my ipod to the amp.

Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question.

E6 comes with a M/M 3.5mm cable, right?

Word of warning:  if you listen to music with a very high dynamic range (read: pretty much classical music only, maybe some jazz records) and want the loudest parts to get to live listening levels, E6 may be borderline not powerful enough for the RE262 (95 dB SPL / 1 mW input; 150 ohms).  E5/E6/E7 can only do about 23 mW into 150 ohms, which equates to about 108.6 dB SPL maximum if you take all those numbers at face value.  A good benchmark value to reach is maybe 105-115 dB SPL.  Note that above 80 dB or so for sustained periods can cause hearing damage, so this is already pretty loud.  For most listening I would think this is plenty though.  As we've seen, this was enough for ClieOS and probably most others.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #134 of 611
In regards to the RE-262 unamped - I can't listen to it unamped now, it's too boring and dry - You've got to give it some power for it to shine and be enjoyable, I find the same thing to apply to the RE0's - I just don't need to drive them as loud through the amp

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #135 of 611

Quote:
So should I be ordering from the first or the second link? And what does M/M stand for?

That is Male to Male, describing what type of plugs are on the included cable.  The E6 includes TWO cables (generous!) that have 3.5mm M/M connections.  Male at one end and Male on the other end.  The E6 and your source component supply the female ends of the connection.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back