FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Sep 3, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #107 of 611
My local store is going to have them in stock soon, 
popcorn.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #108 of 611

Quote:
My local store is going to have them in stock soon, 
popcorn.gif

i wish there was a local store that sold these kinda stuff in Adelaide, there was a store in the city that sold awesome stuff (Senn HD650, etc) but that shop closed (or moved) and the best headphones shop i know is Harvey Norman (which is still bad, they sell like every Beats models, some low end Senns and Klipsch S4s for 150 bucks, ONE FIFTY BUCKS!!)

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #109 of 611
Headphonics is getting FiiO stuff in a couple of weeks and they have free domestic shipping I think. Might want to check them out, their pricing is pretty competitive to the US-based dealers on somestuff. (Not Ultrasones but thats not their fault)

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #110 of 611
I would like to ask a general question.

Can someone with a FiiO amp, specifically the E11 or E7, compare the differences in sound when plugging the E11/7 straight into the line out, and straight into headphone out. I'll be mostly using my laptop or Clip+ as my source and both don't have the line out jack. 

Ty.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #112 of 611
Just got this amp and I'm absolutely loving it.  Personally I think it provides a much wider soundstage than it's predecessor the fiio E5, it also provides a little more detail in both the mid and high frequencies.  The biggest surprise for me was that even on setting 3 the highest setting the bass managed to retain alot of it's detail without sounding muddy or flabby.  This amp will probably work best with fairly neutral (cold) headphones with good bass extension as I would consider it to have a slightly warm sound signature but it still works really nicely with my CALS!  This is definitely worth the price tag and I feel that FiiO are definitely moving in the right direction now as a wasn't very impressed with either the E5 or the E7. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #113 of 611
Quote:
I would like to ask a general question.

Can someone with a FiiO amp, specifically the E11 or E7, compare the differences in sound when plugging the E11/7 straight into the line out, and straight into headphone out. I'll be mostly using my laptop or Clip+ as my source and both don't have the line out jack. 

Ty.

By using line out instead of headphone out, you're bypassing the high current output stage (generally op amp or dedicated headphone driver amp chip), which can introduce some extra distortions.  However, an external amp's input impedance is quite high, much higher than headphones, so it is an easy load for the headphone output stage to drive.  Therefore, with most headphone outputs, it won't make a noticeable difference to use the headphone output rather than a line output.  The Clip+ headphone output is actually pretty good enough already, even driving headphones, so that will not be a problem sending to an amp (but on the flip side, this means there's not much motivation to use an external amp with it unless you need more volume or want to get slightly better sound quality).  It's harder to say for the laptop, but it may likely be a decent upgrade even just out of the headphone output.  It may not be a big deal with many headphones though.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #117 of 611
But apparently I can't bypass the internal onboard sound chip, so plugging in the E7 won't make much of a difference. 

Quote:
This is what a DAC like the E7 is for!

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #119 of 611
Oh yea.

Totally forgot about the USB ports, LOL !

So would the sound be way better with an E7 on? 

Edit: Is it possible to connect the E11 to the laptop via USB to bypass the internal amp? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back