FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Sep 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #151 of 611

Quote:
Okay, well, my E6 arrived yesterday, and in my view, anyone who doesn't pick one of these up, especially someone who has never tried an amp, is missing out on an excellent entry level piece of gear. I had heard the E5, but was not very impressed (and they seemed to fail a lot too). But the E6 is an outstanding little amp, on par with more expensive amps, that's for sure. I have it hooked up to my iPod Classic via LOD and a Whiplash mini to mini cable, and then to my JH5s, and the sound is quite nice. The E6 gives the music a little more oomph and detail, but it's very neutral too, doesn't muck up the bass (I use it on the pink setting, whatever that is. Not much bass boost, could be one up from no boost. Not sure).

To me, it's just too cheap to pass up. Not saying it will supplant the also inexpensive JDS Labs CmoyBB v2.03, but it certainly is in the same ballpark in terms of using an amp to up the ante a bit when it comes to improving SQ. It's more than a volume booster, that's for sure, and a far cry from the FiiO E3 or even the E5. I owned the E7 once, but wasn't that impressed (sold it). I won't be selling the E6.

The only flaw for me is it's so small, it doesn't match well as a portable with the iPod Classic, and I don't amp the iPhone 4. The mini cable I use, which is high quality, is so short, it sort of doesn't work when I try to fold the cable back and connect the E6 via rubber band (for now) to the Classic. I have to lay them both flat on the table. I could use the OEM cable, I guess, but I want to try and have the best cable in play. Have to mess around and see how I can get the E6 to attach to the Classic, which is the only DAP I have with a LOD.

FiiO has impressed me with the E6, no doubt.

For a much better view of the E6, just read ClieOS' view on page one. He pretty much nails it.

X2. Very impressed by this "ultra" portable amp. I was very skeptical about this release, as a previous owner of E3/5, it has certainly taken me by surprise. I have owned other portable amps like the Arrow/ Ibasso T3/Headsix, but all sold them for various reasons, but I'll
keep this one.

I'm not indicating that it sounds or perform better than the amps I mentioned, but it's price/performance ratio is IMO almost unbeatable and an excellent and very affordable way for newcomers to try out an amp.

Don't expect it to drive expensive and/or hard to drive headphones very well, look elsewhere! But again, as a portable amp than can actually be used in the outside world with IEM's or portable headphones, it's more than worth it's admission price.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #152 of 611

Quote:
X2. Very impressed by this "ultra" portable amp. I was very skeptical about this release, as a previous owner of E3/5, it has certainly taken me by surprise. I have owned other portable amps like the Arrow/ Ibasso T3/Headsix, but all sold them for various reasons, but I'll
keep this one.

I'm not indicating that it sounds or perform better than the amps I mentioned, but it's price/performance ratio is IMO almost unbeatable and an excellent and very affordable way for newcomers to try out an amp.

Don't expect it to drive expensive and/or hard to drive headphones very well, look elsewhere! But again, as a portable amp than can actually be used in the outside world with IEM's or portable headphones, it's more than worth it's admission price.

What about the T3 did you not like? I was debating between purchasing that and the E6, but I wasn't sure if the price increase was worth it. I do like that it has a 30+ hour battery life vs the E6's 10.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #153 of 611

Quote:
What about the T3 did you not like? I was debating between purchasing that and the E6, but I wasn't sure if the price increase was worth it. I do like that it has a 30+ hour battery life vs the E6's 10.

When I owned the T3, more than a year ago, I primarily used it with some TF10. I don't know what the excact impedance output of the T3's are, but the TF10 are in my experience very sensitive to almost any kind of impedance output from an amp and in this particular case I felt that the T3 didn't really do the TF10 any favors!

I can't really remember and comment on if the T3 sounded better than the E6 with other IEM's/headphones since it's been so long since I owned it, but in the end I didn't use it very much or at all, so it was not worth keeping.

I agree that the battery life of the E6 is very low vs. many other amps, but again so is the price. Due to the E6's unique size and reasonable performance I feel I will be using this amp "on the go" way more than any other portable amp I have owned. To me, that''s a great value!

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #154 of 611
I just used my E6 with my TF10 for the first time and all I can say is WOW. I didnt really think the E6 was that great cause I dont feel it made a huge difference with my W2 (which it came with) but with the TF10 these sound amazing. Everything is better including at least I think separation of instruments which I think was already pretty good. I think I may be enjoying these more than my full size cans and maybe even my full system...

EDIT: Forgot to mention its been maybe 45 min my ears are already sore, I should get these re-shelled 

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #155 of 611

Quote:
I just used my E6 with my TF10 for the first time and all I can say is WOW. I didnt really think the E6 was that great cause I dont feel it made a huge difference with my W2 (which it came with) but with the TF10 these sound amazing. Everything is better including at least I think separation of instruments which I think was already pretty good. I think I may be enjoying these more than my full size cans and maybe even my full system...

EDIT: Forgot to mention its been maybe 45 min my ears are already sore, I should get these re-shelled 

I can somewhat agree to this.

I just spend some time listening to my now reshelled TF10 with the E6. I'm not going to jump the gun and say everything sounded much better, but I will say it was a very pleasant surprise and that I so far believe that the TF10 with the E6 actually may have found a better partner than any other portable amp I have tried it with.

Now this makes me believe, without having measured it, that the impedance output of the E6 may be very low maybe between 0-1 Ohm to explain why it performs so very well with the TF10. 

If anyone knows, please correct me.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #156 of 611
I have mentioned it in the review - but yes, you are right. E6's output impedance is less than 1 ohm.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #158 of 611

Quote:
what is E11 output impedance? (and ibasso T3 for a general comparison). 

Thanks.

I believe E11 output impedance is under 1 ohm as well, so are all FiiO portable amp. The only FiiO amp with > 1 ohm output impedance is the E9, but there is because the opamp it used required a specific output impedance to be stable. I don't know the exact output impedance of T3, but as far as iBasso goes, they generally have a 10ohm output impedance. It might seem a lot, but the true is, a lot of older gears have much higher impedance (120ohm at times) yet people are totally fine with them. People these days are getting much pickier about output impedance than ever. Personally, I kind of see it as part of the synergy issue.

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #159 of 611
I prefer the big Beyers out of a higher impedance like an OTL tube amp. They just don't sound right to me otherwise. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #164 of 611

Quote:
me too ordered today Delivery Estimate: September 15, 2011 - September 20, 2011

Do the e6 have a bass boost like e5?

Yes it does, but I would prefer listening to it on EQ2 +db which also somewhat adds bass or listen to it flat. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #165 of 611
iBasso T3 output impedance is less than 1 Ohm. Or that's what i was told by iBasso at the time i bought it. It seems accurate by the flat frequency response it provides to hard to drive balanced armatures (TF10)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back