FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #3,316 of 6,777
Quote:
I confess that I have not read all 3000 plus posts to this thread.   My apologies, in advance, if my questions have been addressed.  Apparently, without a great deal of manipulation, the E17 cannot be successfully connected to an iPad via the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) even with USB charging turned off. On the other hand, my E7 can be connected via USB to my new 3G Ipad.  I am thinking about upgrading to the E17 and have several questions:

1.  When connecting my E7 to my iPad via USB/CCK, I assume that I am using the DAC in the E7 as opposed to the internal DAC in the iPad???   If so, will an E17 connected to the iPad's headphone output via L9 connection cable still beat the E7 connected by USB or would it be a wash?

2.  From all indications, is there any doubt that the E17 will outperform my E7 when connected to my iPod claasic or IPod Touch 4G?  When connected to an iPod, I understand that I am using the E-7/E-17's internal amplifier but NOT their DACs.      

Many don't read that much.

Realizing that the E17 won't work is a bit your fault as it was in this thread...quite extensively for a few couple days too.

1: I would still say the E7 is still "superior" as it's still making use of more advanced and "audiophile" circuitry and DAC as opposed to the standard one. If your headphones are driven properly by E7 then the E7 with iPad in my opinion would "Technically" be superior to L9 and E17....but that IS if you can tell a difference. Most can't....some can. I have done tests and have proved that I can "tell" a difference. But the difference is not large enough for me to really care about when I am out and about. IF I was traveling then yes I would...but hey...I wouldn't grab an iPad with me. I would grab my Mac.

2:So...is the E17's amplifiers(there are two..or 4 in real technical terms, pre dual opamp and dual driving opamp) better than the E7's technically and from reviews...yeah. For actual use of their amp's use an LOD.

May 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #3,317 of 6,777
I have owned a E17 for around half a year and have always wondered about the bass/treble configuration. I always play around with it but sometimes I turn both to +10. I asked many headphone shop owners about my settings and most of them said that doing so doesn't make it sound like how the music was originally. But then, I can't really find the optimal setting for me.

Is there a point of reference or generic configuration to start off with?

I use the sennheiser HD 598 and westone 4 if anyone needs to know.

May 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #3,318 of 6,777
There is none. Read feiaos last post on the last page. People dont do recordings well anymore. Very few do. They add their own sound to it and most of it is consumer suited. I have songs played that sound terrible on all my headphones. Very few things are perfect or as intended these days and as audiophiles should we trust what "they"intended to always sound good?

I can kinda seee what you like in music. You like a mixture of forward vocals and bass ahead of all the other stuff but +10 seems extreme

May 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #3,321 of 6,777
This might be out there, but has anybody had any experience bi-amping two E17's(usb in>headphone out>aux>headphone out)? 

Not much point of doing that. Just louder in volume and more distortion due to either clipping and worsen SNR.

May 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #3,322 of 6,777
Quote:
Not much point of doing that. Just louder in volume and more distortion due to either clipping and worsen SNR.

Hmm..I was thinking that it would be like bi-amping the digiZoid Z02's. People (bassheads) have said it sounds great when bi-amped, and I thought it would apply to these too. Oh well. I guess I'll get an E9/C421. 

May 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3,324 of 6,777
Wow...have had this little amazing piece of equipment since day 1 on first pre-order first batch from mp4. Currently only using it as a DAC and i love it in my rig. 

Interesting to see the price went up to $200 considering i only paid roughly $125 (i think..somewhere around there)

For anyone else that wants one....headphonebar.com still has them for $139 (cheaper if you live in canada to save on shipping costs)

May 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3,326 of 6,777
Quote:
Just as a dac for your laptop? Just curious
Just got an old Netbook. Pretty sure I will use the amp portion also

He has an Hifiman EF5 so he is probably lining out with the E9 or with an L7 and just using the DAC of the E17 into the EF5. That would look like a beast setup, E17 in an E9 with an audiophile cable from E9 to EF5..that would look sick :)

May 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3,328 of 6,777
A pic of my setup with E17 and EF5.

lol unfortunately this hobby takes a huge tole on my wallet so i'm currently using Monoprice PREMIUM! cables

May 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #3,329 of 6,777
Quote:
Just as a dac for your laptop? Just curious
Just got an old Netbook. Pretty sure I will use the amp portion also

Yep just as a DAC. The E9 just acts as a LOD for the E17.

E17 has a pretty decent DAC built in and i'm too poor to afford anything higher...but i'm happy with what i have (for now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back