FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #2,011 of 6,777
Alright, I'm noob and you got me. All my point was: I am satisfied with how it works with my stuff,for $140 its more than acceptable.

ANyhow... I made a discovery that finally has set me back in terms of challenging my music tastes and my wallet :D

This is how I do it:
S/PDIF/optical on my laptop > Maverick Audio D1 headphone jack>  E17 AUX > headphones via headphone jack

Pros:
E17 EQ settings work
Bass came back 

Cons: 
Clarity is a bit faded

^ a bright idea?

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #2,012 of 6,777

Quote:
Alright, I'm noob and you got me. All my point was: I am satisfied with how it works with my stuff,for $140 its more than acceptable.

ANyhow... I made a discovery that finally has set me back in terms of challenging my music tastes and my wallet :D

This is how I do it:
S/PDIF/optical on my laptop > Maverick Audio D1 headphone jack>  E17 AUX > headphones via headphone jack

Pros:
E17 EQ settings work
Bass came back 

Cons: 
Clarity is a bit faded

^ a bright idea?

? i thought the D1 would be better in terms of amp than E17 :/ whatever, the E17 is high quality so dual amping..(or triple..or whatever the number of amps in the D1 plus the two in the E17) shouldn't matter to  much but like you said, clarity is usually faded from my experiments

so why D1?

a bright idea? hahah do you mean that it's brighter as you can EQ the vocals? i thought that as a funny pun :)
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #2,013 of 6,777

Quote:

Sorry. I never own any other DAC. Thus, can't do any comparison.

For now, E17 is good enough for me. I listened to Pop, soul, reggae fusion, R&B and dance most of the time. I think is hard to tell the difference with these type of genre compare to classical or ochestra. Even if I could tell the difference, most probably the difference won't be significant. Thus, it is hard to justify spending few hundreds for another DAC when I already have the E17.

All these talking about DAC makes me wanting to learn more about DAC. Found this in the forum below. Looks like E7 (I read somewhere that E17 has the same DAC - correct me if I am wrong) is doing good compared to other DAC listed below.

Originally Posted by M-13:
Yeah... I had the MS+, DACport LX, and even borrowed my friend's Nuforce HDP, and none of those DACs had a noticeable improvement over my E7, which was dissapointing to say the least. There were differences of course, but I could not say one was better than the other, just different. I'm hoping the Bifrost will be a clear and obvious upgrade. So far, upgrading amps, tubes, headphones have been the more obvious "upgrade"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/545842/schiit-dacs-the-information-and-anticipation-thread/1545

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2,014 of 6,777

HM so why D1? Simply to put it, I was looking for something desktop-size, but didn't want to spend more than $200... ended up with $220 D1, as it had some very good reviews. Why did I hook it up with E17? problem is I own HD600s.... they are just terrible with bass (and I mean WOW they have no bass). To be honest, D1 is an exceptional dac/amp, but there are no options of controlling bass/treble. My goal doing this setup was to utilize D1's DAC component, Amp + preAmp, and let this all go through 6db gain on E17 (bass enhancement was my #1 priority). 
if it wasn't for my cans to lack bass, I probably would avoid using E17. I love the clarity D1 gives, but I just dont get any pumping (which annoys me as hell)
E17 is a really good thing though. I can barely tell difference between D1 and E17, abeit, of course, there is a gap.

If someone will attempt anything like this:
With E17 being put through something like D1, enable direct volume control through it, otherwise connecting external devices will mess with sound level. 

Currently though I am looking for portable headphones (not full-size cans) for on-the-go. Mostly to be used in airplanes/bus trips. Any good ideas? will be paired with E17 (I am aware that only AMP will work with most players) so I guess I am looking for something good sounding, bassy, as clear as possible, good detail (again, not in expense of bass) and I guess they have to be noise-canceling both ways (external/internal), at least a lil bit.
Any ideas what could fit? 

Quote:
? i thought the D1 would be better in terms of amp than E17 :/ whatever, the E17 is high quality so dual amping..(or triple..or whatever the number of amps in the D1 plus the two in the E17) shouldn't matter to  much but like you said, clarity is usually faded from my experiments

so why D1?

a bright idea? hahah do you mean that it's brighter as you can EQ the vocals? i thought that as a funny pun :)
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,015 of 6,777
I have a macbook pro, E17, L7, and Audioengine A2 Active Speakers.  I really love the sound coming out of the A2's a lot more when I go just use the E17's headphone output, instead of using the L7 to bypass the E17 amp.  However, I read that it would be better to use the L7 because the A2 already has a built-in amp, and you do not want to dual amp.  What would be the best way for me to get the best sound using powered speakers setup?

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #2,017 of 6,777
HD25II's or it's new updates the Sennheiser Amperior. then there are also the Beyer DT1350. ask around, you may have some users in this thread that have these and know how they do

@happy200k

if we only consider you having a MBP,E17 and L7 than what you desribed. using your computer as a source, with optical into the E17. and then bypassing internal amp with L7 and then into A2

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,018 of 6,777

Thanks, will do that.  I don't have a separate standalone amp.
Quote:

@happy2000hk

if we only consider you having a MBP,E17 and L7 than what you desribed. using your computer as a source, with optical into the E17. and then bypassing internal amp with L7 and then into A2

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #2,019 of 6,777
Wow, not cheap stuff :D but thanks for the input. I will definitely consider sennheisers I think. I don't really like the doubled thing though.

Quote:
HD25II's or it's new updates the Sennheiser Amperior. then there are also the Beyer DT1350. ask around, you may have some users in this thread that have these and know how they do

@happy200k

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #2,021 of 6,777
yeah it aint cheap....sadly there are some used pairs..but these are very popular portable ones i know off the top of my head.

i think i remember some user or clieos himself saying dT1350 rocked with E17..not sure :/ 

@mac336
the release date was about...2 months ago. sale date was about 1 month ago. mass availbility date is about late march to early april...if demand is as strong as some think..possibly later...but im betting on late march. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #2,022 of 6,777
Would be interesting to understand whether the E17 is also limited to play 24/88 on USB, eventually using a different data flow scheme compared to the E10, where the TE7022 seems to be the limiting factor? Could be that the E10 uses USB to I2S Output? and the E17 USB to SPDIF TX...but anyway the Tenor data sheet says: 8/16/32/44.1/48/96 KHz sampling rates supported...without making a difference between modes...

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2,023 of 6,777
Would be interesting to understand whether the E17 is also limited to play 24/88 on USB, eventually using a different data flow scheme compared to the E10, where the TE7022 seems to be the limiting factor? Could be that the E10 uses USB to I2S Output? and the E17 USB to SPDIF TX...but anyway the Tenor data sheet says: 8/16/32/44.1/48/96 KHz sampling rates supported...without making a difference between modes...

It doesn't matter what data flow it uses. It the chip doesn't support 88Hz sampling, that will be the end of that story. - and I assume TE7022 be just like that. If it is supported, you would have seen it listed in spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back