FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #2,041 of 6,777
Is this a possible combination without double amping

Computer USB-->E17 (DAC only) + E9 (pre-out 3.5MM)-->use 3.5mm to RCA cable-->tube amp-->headphones

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,042 of 6,777

Quote:
Is this a possible combination without double amping

Computer USB-->E17 (DAC only) + E9 (pre-out 3.5MM)-->use 3.5mm to RCA cable-->tube amp-->headphones

so..like the other person above,(read above) you want to use the E9 to Line out right? if so then yes, you will only be using your tube amps amp/s and nothing else but whatever is in your tube amp for amplication.(make sure you plug it into the right outputs)

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #2,043 of 6,777

Quote:
so..like the other person above,(read above) you want to use the E9 to Line out right? if so then yes, you will only be using your tube amps amp/s and nothing else but whatever is in your tube amp for amplication.(make sure you plug it into the right outputs)

Yep that's exactly what i was looking for..i was just kind of confused between the RCA line out and the 3.5mm pre out. Thanks for the clarification. I'm asking cause the RCA line out isn't working on my e9 so now i'm gonna try the 3.5mm pre out.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #2,045 of 6,777

Quote:
Great review!

My question is: if I use E17 as DAC, does it also have amp function?

Thanks.

If you are asking whether it will amp the signal coming from the DAC section, then the answer is of course, Yes.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2,046 of 6,777
Since I have barely missed both times Miccastore has had stock recently and fell for AdvancedMP3Players in stock/out of stock scam I am in the pool of those anxiously waiting to get my hands on one later this month. To kill the time I guess I'll ask those fortunate owners a few questions that have been in the back of my mind.

On the design vs the E7:
  • Any one that has used both prefer the only style of having the buttons of the side of the device vs buttons on the face of the device? Has feiao explained why they made this change? It seems to me that this would be annoying when having the E17 banded to your DAP "back-to-back" to have to flip it on one side to control the play and the other side to control the volume. Also, are there any issues with placing the E17 face down (screen scratches), I realized there is a button lock but also seems annoying to have to constantly flip it after every adjustment.
  • I've seen estimates of the E17 battery between 8.5 and 15 hours, this also seems as a step down from the 80 hour playtime of the E7. Has this been a hindrance to anyone?

I already have a PA2V2 portable amp that I was about to sell until I purchased a Fiio L9 LOD (should have done that a long time ago, doh!) and realized it sounds pretty good from my iPod and improves my sound a bit. How much of and improvement could I expect in the amp department?

The other issue is the DAC, while I have a Creative XtremeMusic card that doesn't sound too bad to me(!) I'm sure I can get better sound from my computer. How do the sound card (ASUS Xonar ST, etc) options look compared to the DAC on the E17 if I'm not concerned about portability?

Thanks for any help!

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #2,047 of 6,777
I'm thinking of getting my first DAC Amp and this one is fairly cheap and sounds like it is a winner.  Couple of questions, first:

My laptop doesn't show USB as a playback device.  Will my laptop automatically load a USB sound driver when it detects the E17 connected to it?

The writeup (thanks ClieOS) says that the SPDIF port accepts both optical and coax.  Does the E17 come with the adapters for both forms of plugs to work with the SPDIF port, or is that extra?

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2,048 of 6,777

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting my first DAC Amp and this one is fairly cheap and sounds like it is a winner.  Couple of questions, first:

My laptop doesn't show USB as a playback device.  Will my laptop automatically load a USB sound driver when it detects the E17 connected to it?

The writeup (thanks ClieOS) says that the SPDIF port accepts both optical and coax.  Does the E17 come with the adapters for both forms of plugs to work with the SPDIF port, or is that extra?

1: of course it won't show it :) you don't have anything registered or installed yet. yes, when you plug the class 1 USB in the E17 in, it will show up in options. most of the time it will auto set it to the right choice but if not, do it mainually in playback devices :) be sure when using E17 that your computer and programs always have the volume at 100(itunes,VLC etc) and use E17 to control volume

2: it comes with adapters. the E17 for S/PDIF comes with a mini toslink to toslink adapter(look it up) and a 3.5mm jack(don't know what this one is called as i don't do coaxil) to a female coaxil head. so it's fine, don't worry. what you need to worry about is the other end. the E17 only comes with one set and sometimes your cable requires two to plug into the computer..sometimes not.

@bobbysteel
plz note that i read your post..i just can't answer it without sounding like an idiot that is comparing or making wild gueses bassed of things i've never tested so...i cant exactly say. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,049 of 6,777
Alright, I'm not the most qualified person to answer but some of my answers would be:
Quote:
Since I have barely missed both times Miccastore has had stock recently and fell for AdvancedMP3Players in stock/out of stock scam I am in the pool of those anxiously waiting to get my hands on one later this month. To kill the time I guess I'll ask those fortunate owners a few questions that have been in the back of my mind.

On the design vs the E7:
  • Any one that has used both prefer the only style of having the buttons of the side of the device vs buttons on the face of the device? Has feiao explained why they made this change? It seems to me that this would be annoying when having the E17 banded to your DAP "back-to-back" to have to flip it on one side to control the play and the other side to control the volume. Also, are there any issues with placing the E17 face down (screen scratches), I realized there is a button lock but also seems annoying to have to constantly flip it after every adjustment.
  • I've seen estimates of the E17 battery between 8.5 and 15 hours, this also seems as a step down from the 80 hour playtime of the E7. Has this been a hindrance to anyone?

I already have a PA2V2 portable amp that I was about to sell until I purchased a Fiio L9 LOD (should have done that a long time ago, doh!) and realized it sounds pretty good from my iPod and improves my sound a bit. How much of and improvement could I expect in the amp department?

The other issue is the DAC, while I have a Creative XtremeMusic card that doesn't sound too bad to me(!) I'm sure I can get better sound from my computer. How do the sound card (ASUS Xonar ST, etc) options look compared to the DAC on the E17 if I'm not concerned about portability?

Thanks for any help!

1. (did not own a E7) I sure bet it's different, but I don't find much trouble with pressing the buttons on its face. The e17 is much smaller than, say, an iphone anyway, so having buttons on the same side doesn't equal better usability IMO. Though in general I find the volume I want and it's locked there. Yeah, flipping it around can be annoying for some. Once you get used to the shape and form you can operate it by ear though; the volume buttons are, however, not highly raised so you may not succeed with gloves on.

2. The battery life seems to be about that long, yes. It lasts me through one to two days listening on the go. As a DAC even without USB charging on, it goes way beyond that. Seems when plugged to the computer it doesn't (or barely) use the batteries; ClieOS confirmed this in the early posts of this thread. So to me, it's not anymore inconvenient than my 4S, cause that thing dies just about as quickly or even sooner.

Quote:

It won't show USB playback unless there is a USB playback capable device plugged in your laptop, unlike HDMI. Also make sure you set to visible all the disabled devices if you want to see all the stuff you can use currently; USB will not be there though.

What OS do you use? I have Windows 7 x64 and it works (never tried with my desktop, which is 32bit). In fact, it switches automatically to the e17 the moment it is plugged in. Naturally you can disable it if you want. I believe there is an option to let your computer automatically switch to whatever device is plugged in, but I don't remember and cannot confirm this at the moment.

And yes, it does come with two small adapters. I've never used the SPDIF, neither optical nor coaxial, but they do come with the adapters. (EDIT: bowei beat me to the reply! read his post above for details regarding this)

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #2,050 of 6,777

Quote:
@bobbysteel
plz note that i read your post..i just can't answer it without sounding like an idiot that is comparing or making wild gueses bassed of things i've never tested so...i cant exactly say. 

No problems, I appreciate the thought anyway!

Quote:
Alright, I'm not the most qualified person to answer but some of my answers would be:
1. (did not own a E7) I sure bet it's different, but I don't find much trouble with pressing the buttons on its face. The e17 is much smaller than, say, an iphone anyway, so having buttons on the same side doesn't equal better usability IMO. Though in general I find the volume I want and it's locked there. Yeah, flipping it around can be annoying for some. Once you get used to the shape and form you can operate it by ear though; the volume buttons are, however, not highly raised so you may not succeed with gloves on.

2. The battery life seems to be about that long, yes. It lasts me through one to two days listening on the go. As a DAC even without USB charging on, it goes way beyond that. Seems when plugged to the computer it doesn't (or barely) use the batteries; ClieOS confirmed this in the early posts of this thread. So to me, it's not anymore inconvenient than my 4S, cause that thing dies just about as quickly or even sooner.

Thanks! It's nice to here that the buttons are recessed. If it were to lay flat on the table would the surface be completely flush with the table?

Considering how horrible the battery life is on my iPod I guess the E17's shouldn't be that much of an issue. It's nice to know that DAC use won't drain them that much also.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2,051 of 6,777

Quote:
No problems, I appreciate the thought anyway!

Thanks! It's nice to here that the buttons are recessed. If it were to lay flat on the table would the surface be completely flush with the table?

Considering how horrible the battery life is on my iPod I guess the E17's shouldn't be that much of an issue. It's nice to know that DAC use won't drain them that much also.

1: the hold button is larger than all the rest and is the only..non pushable button(it slides) when laying flat on screen, the bigger hold button lifts the e17 above the table just slightly so no other button on the right side(same side as hold button) touches..however...when doing this, the power button hits the table..even if i put it down softly and the E17 turns on. also i use bands with this. i keep the bands in the area between volume buttons and power and menu button which coincides with the area of my ipod that i like to leave it as it is the best minimimalistic way to use the ipod with least covering with bands. many times whe bands will slip and cover teh power and menu buttons. no problem, i know where they are..until i put them down. ..as soon as you put them down, the force from the band hitting the table turns the device on again....

2:if you are using E17 with ipod as amp. the battery of ipod will last longer as the amp is bypassed. of course this is relative to if you were doing the same thing (impossible) under the same conditions without the E17.
3:depending on what you use to plug into your computer the battery isn't an issue. i use S/PDIF so it is one. if you read this thread(doubt you did..i wouldn't either.....im not crazy enough to read 120+pages..i just happened to read it all as i was here since beginning) you will note that the E17's li ioin battery..will not die for a long time

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2,052 of 6,777

Quote:
I don't know if this has been covered before but I am having trouble driving my 600ohm Beyers on this unit. I know it's not really rated for this kind of load but my E10 drove them okay. The left channel drops out after a couple of minutes and does not return. If I switch to IEM's or easy to drive headphones, everything is fine. I changed the gain to max with no effect.
I may have to sell this if it can't drive the Beyers I have.
Anyone else have this issue?

I have to retract what I stated here- this is not the E17 but my headphones causing the left channel to go out. It must be the driver going bad. Sorry for any confusion but it works just fine with the 600ohm Beyers.

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2,053 of 6,777

Quote:
I have to retract what I stated here- this is not the E17 but my headphones causing the left channel to go out. It must be the driver going bad. Sorry for any confusion but it works just fine with the 600ohm Beyers.

so...both the E10 and E17 will drive the 600 ohm beyers(which specific model plz) in your opinion to a level that in your opinion is loud enough right? ok ill remember this...you dont understand how many ask me about this..... ill try to remember some key words so i can search and link back to this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back