FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #2,026 of 6,777
Good to know, ebmp19!

On the other hand, windows 7 automatically switches to e17 every time I plug it in, including the first time.
It didn't do that on my brother's computer though, and he likes to keep his updates up to date (while I keep it off).

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2,028 of 6,777
Would this sound better than a high end sound card from 2007? The HT Omega Claro Plus. From that big wave of CMI8788 cards, I think it has the same DAC as the Auzentech Prelude except a slight step up. Basically, am I going to hear that much of a difference between these DACs or any other of these other external DACs for the price? I also play computer games so that is one worry, should I be looking at the new CMI chip cards like the Asus Phoebus, or the ST/STX instead then?

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2,030 of 6,777
anyone know the best site to order the Fiio alpen from?
Best bet is to order from an authorized dealer in your area of the world. Here's the link from Fiio's website listing their authorized dealers:

http://fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

Most (if not all) dealers are currently out of stock but the 2nd production batch of about 5000 units should be available near the end of March, assuming there are no delays in production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2,031 of 6,777
FINALLY got a securing option I like for an iPod Touch.  Got some Heavy Duty Fasteners (like Velcro but all plastic, no fiber side).  Cut the back out of some cases and we get:

And hopefully if I want to remove the fasteners in the future some heat will do the trick since both are just on metal :)

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #2,033 of 6,777
Hey, back on this thread i have a question regarding the e17 and the L7.

I've been using the e9 + e17 combo together and i recently acquired a Hifiman EF-5 so i decided to use the E9 as a LOD. Turns out the LOD in my e9 is kinda faulty and the sound ends up being distorted and fuzzy. With this setup (computer-->e17 + e9 (DAC)-->Hifiman EF-5-->DT990)

If instead of the RCA Line Out in the e9, i used the L7 as a LOD, would there be a considerable difference between the 2? If so, which would be the stronger one? 

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #2,034 of 6,777

Quote:
Hey, back on this thread i have a question regarding the e17 and the L7.

I've been using the e9 + e17 combo together and i recently acquired a Hifiman EF-5 so i decided to use the E9 as a LOD. Turns out the LOD in my e9 is kinda faulty and the sound ends up being distorted and fuzzy. With this setup (computer-->e17 + e9 (DAC)-->Hifiman EF-5-->DT990)

If instead of the RCA Line Out in the e9, i used the L7 as a LOD, would there be a considerable difference between the 2? If so, which would be the stronger one? 

i would say no as in both cases you are just bypassing the amp on the E17. some may even say the L7 may be better as there's shorter distance and less componnents.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #2,035 of 6,777

Quote:
i would say no as in both cases you are just bypassing the amp on the E17. some may even say the L7 may be better as there's shorter distance and less componnents.

Yea i'm trying to bypass the amp on the E17 but retain the DAC portion. I'm just not sure which one would be better RCA (E9) vs 3.5mm (L7). 

Edit: this is what i've been able to deduct so far

E9(amp) + e17(DAC) -->DT990 = sounds good
E9(LOD) + e17(DAC)-->Hifiman EF-5 (amp) -->DT990 = sounds fuzzy distorted
DVD player -->Hifiman EF-5-->DT990 = sounds good

So my guess is either the E17 or E9 is not functioning properly?

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2,036 of 6,777

Quote:
Yea i'm trying to bypass the amp on the E17 but retain the DAC portion. I'm just not sure which one would be better RCA (E9) vs 3.5mm (L7). 

Edit: this is what i've been able to deduct so far

E9(amp) + e17(DAC) -->DT990 = sounds good
E9(LOD) + e17(DAC)-->Hifiman EF-5 (amp) -->DT990 = sounds fuzzy distorted
DVD player -->Hifiman EF-5-->DT990 = sounds good

So my guess is either the E17 or E9 is not functioning properly?

probably the E9 may have some problem or theres something else that is wrong. if L7 works for you..wy not use that?

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,037 of 6,777

Quote:
probably the E9 may have some problem or theres something else that is wrong. if L7 works for you..wy not use that?

Forgive me if i say something stupid but wouldn't using a RCA connection be better than 3.5mm though?

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #2,038 of 6,777
Both are just different terminations of an analog stereo connection. 3.5 is just smaller and combined into one.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,039 of 6,777
Thanks bowei006 and kunuggs =D. Save myself some money and pick up a L7 and some Monoprice cables. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #2,040 of 6,777

Quote:
I don't know if this has been covered before but I am having trouble driving my 600ohm Beyers on this unit. I know it's not really rated for this kind of load but my E10 drove them okay. The left channel drops out after a couple of minutes and does not return. If I switch to IEM's or easy to drive headphones, everything is fine. I changed the gain to max with no effect.
I may have to sell this if it can't drive the Beyers I have.
Anyone else have this issue?

good to know.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back