FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,996 of 6,777
@ClieOS is E17 is sufficient for Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 ohm ?

I really don't know. I don't have any full size that are that high in impedance. However, I'll venture a guess to say it should be sufficient, but how good it is going to be is another question of its own.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,997 of 6,777

Quote:

I have Beyer DT770 Pro 250 ohm and someone else mentioned the DT880 250 ohm cans. Both work fine with the E17, but you may find that you have to use the E17 set to 12dB gain and volume levels of 30 - 50. I find it works very well with my DT770s, but the signature of the DT990 is different so it's not a true 1 to 1 comparison. Because everyone's hearing and brain is a little different, only you can judge if the E17 will drive them to meet your listening needs.

BTW - to anyone using the E17 as a DAC (USB, optical or coaxial SPDIF) - your source really plays an important part in this. The difference between poorly encoded MP3s and properly ripped lossless is outstanding. If you aren't noticing a decent improvement in your setup, make sure you investigate high quality sources. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,998 of 6,777
i...can't...quit....you......guys  :|  

i'm trying to.

update for me is i've decided against the E17 for now...b/c I don't listen to music with computer much.  might get an E11 (since it's the better AMPLIFIER for being more refined AND more power).  

I bought a used Trends PA-10 tube amp locally... With no music on, or with music on at a low volume I hear a hiss sound in just the left ear....what could this be?   It's not my source, or source cable.  It adds just a little more amplification to the setup I already had.  Might sell it and pick up a Little Dot MKIII 

I'm so happy with how my android Samsung Nexus S is performing.  Is even making my old Ultimate Ear 200 SINNG........it's quite unreal what the Wolfson DAC + Voodoo sound does..............   

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #1,999 of 6,777
Tube gears are usually nosier than solid state stuff, so a tiny big of hiss should be normal. But an uneven hiss on one channel could indicate problem or deterioration of the tubes. You will have to roll tube to be sure.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #2,000 of 6,777
forgive my ignorance..what does it mean to roll the tube?  replace it?  lol.  thank you.

I was able to pull the tube out.  The noise/hiss/crackling sound went away completely.   Does this mean that I likely have a bad tube?  

thank you

FYI i think it reads 12AU7A/ECC82 GT. BRITAIN

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #2,001 of 6,777
forgive my ignorance..what does it mean to roll the tube?  replace it?  lol.  thank you

Tube rolling means you try out a few more tubes. We call it that way because when you swap tube, they are often rolling around the table. Though sold state opamp doesn't roll on the table, we still call swapping them 'opamp rolling' as well.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #2,002 of 6,777
ah, thanks.  this is the tube I have.  Like I said above, when i pulled it, the hiss/fuzz/light crackling sound went away.  that's probably a good sign, right?  just need to replace tube?   

In fact, after I plug it in, there is no sound even when I turn it on.  It takes a minute or so for it to warm up and make that sound in the left ear...

http://tctubes.com/mullard-12au7-ecc82-iec.aspx is what it has in there.  I

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #2,003 of 6,777
As long as it is not the vintage (NOS) stuff, normal 12AU7 isn't that expensive (i.e.JJ Electronic, Tung-Sol, etc). But they do different in sound quality.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #2,004 of 6,777
really dont know where to ask this but I guess better here than in a new thread.. can the E17 make big sound improvement on the DT1350? my source would be a J3, Nationite N2, or a dell inspiron laptop.. i also have mx980s which i would love to try with this.. this would be my first time buying an amp/dac... thanks!

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #2,005 of 6,777
I know as far as synergy is concerned, E17 should work quite well with DT1350. But I never do have the chance to pair them together as I have yet to get myself a pair. Only listened to it once in a store, but it is a headphone I really like.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,006 of 6,777

Quote:

Quote:
I really don't know. I don't have any full size that are that high in impedance. However, I'll venture a guess to say it should be sufficient, but how good it is going to be is another question of its own.

I would have to say that it depends on how loud you listen. I have 150 ohm headphones (Sennheiser 545) and have the gain set at 0 db. Depending on my source, I have the volume set between 27 and 40 (60 is max setting). Now, if you're hearing impaired, that's another story. 
eek.gif
dt880smile.png

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,007 of 6,777
@hyogen
Your cat looks like its enjoying the music very much!

Well I find 150ohm to still be a long stretch from 250ohm. Also depends on sensitivity. I can certainly drive a Yamaha ortho though. Don't think the e17 does enough justice to ortho though. I guess those do prefer tube or vintage.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,008 of 6,777

I don't understand... tech specs say it can hold up to 300 ohms, in reality my HD600s are well-driven and I love the sound (not to say that it couldn't be better).
Quote:
@hyogen
Your cat looks like its enjoying the music very much!
Well I find 150ohm to still be a long stretch from 250ohm. Also depends on sensitivity. I can certainly drive a Yamaha ortho though. Don't think the e17 does enough justice to ortho though. I guess those do prefer tube or vintage.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #2,009 of 6,777
the tech specs just mean Ohms it "supports" headphones that are below or above the impendance range "technically" will have some limitations. go read nwavguys blog on this stuff. i can't explain it well. impendance doesn't mean direvability, it's a good sign..generally but not for all headphones, impendance PLUS sensitivity will give you a more even exact range of just how driveable it is. but that is also fooling sometimes(Sony V6 ) reviews and asking people that have them with what you want to do like you guys are right now is the only way to fully know

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2,010 of 6,777
Yep. In a nutshell, you get VAGUELY
Input voltage from e17 --impedance--> resulting # of mW, which is inversely proportional to impedance
# of mW --sensitivity--> output volume in dB

So you can have super low impedance headphones with also super low sensitivity and you probably won't be able to drive it.

Then there's this whole thing about an amp's driving potential not being -just- the volume you can achieve. No idea how to explain that, I don't understand it either.
For my Yamaha's it probably is just that they'd sound better on a slightly coloured source or something. I'd still say they sound great through the e17 but with reservation.
Though my brother is now convinced he rather just get a e7 than a e17... one reason being he prefers the way the e7 looks lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back