FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,966 of 6,777
A couple of dumb questions, don't judge me haha
Would this be enough to successfully run Grado sr325i's out of? Or would I need something more powerful for that?
And, what are the connections with this? Like, does it take a USB port, or a 1/4th in. or 1/8? Basically, can I plug the 1/4th inch plug of the 325's directly into the amp?
Thanks so much for your help!

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,967 of 6,777

Quote:
A couple of dumb questions, don't judge me haha
Would this be enough to successfully run Grado sr325i's out of? Or would I need something more powerful for that?
And, what are the connections with this? Like, does it take a USB port, or a 1/4th in. or 1/8? Basically, can I plug the 1/4th inch plug of the 325's directly into the amp?
Thanks so much for your help!

I'm using my SR325is from the E17. Power wise, It drives the 325 very well since they are low impedance + high sensitivity cans. I think they sound real good, but then I don't have any experience with a high end amp...

You would need a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to plug the 325s into the E17.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #1,968 of 6,777
Can't say I know. But certainly comparing on two different sources really isn't an ideal way for A/Bing, right? I would think eliminating or at least minimizing other unnecessary variables is the key to a better comparison.

Okay, I just setup my PC to have the optical out activated so I can test both the USB-in and opt-in on E17 with the same PC. At first, it seems USB-in does sound grander than opt-in, but I soon to notice there is a slight volume difference between the two. Further investigation with my newly acquired SPL meter reveals that the USB-in's volume is about 3dB higher than the opt-in.Once I volume matched both, I can't say I really prefer one to the other. Just show you even a little volume difference can play trick to the listener's ears.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #1,972 of 6,777
What battery does the E17 use?

1500mAH rechargeable Li-ion. Not user replaceable unless you can find Li-ion of similar size and has some soldering skill.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,973 of 6,777
I received the L7 today. Plug it into the dock connector on the bottom E17. At one end of of the L7, I plug in the USB cable to the Mini-B input and at the other end I connect it to Lyr using a 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA stereo audio cable. Laptop (usb) -> E17+L7 -> Lyr -> HD650.

When I turn on the LO Bypass (push to lower position) on the E17, the DAC works great. HD650 sounds awesome (love the punchy solid bass, clear/details mid and treble) with E17+Lyr combination. With this setting, the 3.5mm output on the E17 still works. All the functionalities like changing the volume, treble, bass and balance still works. Meaning that another person could listen to the same song using the 3.5mm output on E17 and could adjust the volume, treble, bass, balance and gain without affecting my listening. Great feature.

The L7 still works when the LO Bypass switch is turned off (push to upper position). Changing the volume, treble, bass, balance and gain on the E17 also affect the output of L7 (amp is used). With this setting, L7 can be use as an additional 3.5mm output. In this case, the output from L7 should not be connected to another amplifier as it considered double amping. Correct me if I am wrong.

This makes me wonder, if SPDIF input is used on E17 with L7 connected, will the L7 can still be use as an additional 3.5mm output?

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #1,974 of 6,777
This makes me wonder, if SPDIF input is used on E17 with L7 connected, will the L7 can still be use as an additional 3.5mm output?

Sure. Line-out as well as headphone-out work with all digital input.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #1,976 of 6,777
Hmm... When I connect the L9 to my iPhone I occasionally hear some crackling noise... You know, the same ones you hear when your radio gets bad signals.
Anyone has experience with this? I was wondering maybe it's caused by my phone's wifi...? It's pretty annoying especially when wearing IEMs. It occurs sometimes even when wifi is off.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,977 of 6,777
For those with the E17, check your lcd screens, is it perfectly level in the cutout of the case? Or is one side higher or lower than the other side? Noticed mine was a bit off, not a big deal, but annoying since I noticed it now. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,978 of 6,777
Mine is pretty leveled, though I got a smudge of the glue they used stuck on my - button. Can't get rid of it completely; it smeared all over the right side of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back