Ety MC5
Jun 24, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #31 of 202
Hmm, then it must be fairly close between the RE-0 and the MC5. That will be interesting to see, which of the $79 analytical style kings will reign.

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #32 of 202
I bought a pair of these to use for my gym phones hoping for great isolation and some decent detail. The isolation is super,no doubt about that, but for me these have a strong emphasis on upper mids. I have an ear that drives me crazy when i use phones that emphasize upper mids, so these are probably not gonna be my cup of tea. Probably bound for the drawer, but i'll do another 20-30 hours of burn-in, as i have around 20 on them now, plus a couple hours of listening. I like the cable on them, but they do have noticeable microphonics while being active, but it's not horrendous like i found of the Monster Pro's. The bass on them really isn't lacking in quality, but will disappoint anyone who really wants impact. If these were meant to compete with addiems,i'd say they beat them out on comfort and isolation, but the addiem has a better balanced,smoother sound to me at this point. I hope more burn-in makes me eat those words. But if not,maybe i'll eventually get a second pair of DBA's for the gym. I just hate to spend that much on something to sweat on or possibly catch on a machine and fubar.

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #33 of 202
With a shirt clip I don't get any microphonics, but I agree on balance with your assessment. However, I use custom sleeves with these phones, and it tames any overdone upper mids or harshness to some extent. Plus, you can EQ down some of the frequencies that are bothing you, if you have a player with a good EQ.

Not saying you should get custom sleeves, but have you tried the foam sleeves? And why put them in a drawer? Why not just sell them? I also agree that the DBAs are a much better IEM, but be careful using them in the gym (water issues, check the DBM thread),

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #34 of 202

Quote:
With a shirt clip I don't get any microphonics, but I agree on balance with your assessment. However, I use custom sleeves with these phones, and it tames any overdone upper mids or harshness to some extent. Plus, you can EQ down some of the frequencies that are bothing you, if you have a player with a good EQ.

Not saying you should get custom sleeves, but have you tried the foam sleeves? And why put them in a drawer? Why not just sell them? I also agree that the DBAs are a much better IEM, but be careful using them in the gym (water issues, check the DBM thread),

Yeah, the lack of a customizable EQ is my only knock against ipods, which i otherwise really prefer. I don't have my Sony player with me for the next couple days,but i'll be pairing the MC5 with it later in the week to see if a tweakable EQ makes them more to my liking.
When i tried the foam sleeves they felt like sticking a piece of 80 grit sandpaper in my ears. Very rough feeling foam that irritated my ears almost instantly. I thought the glider tips toned down the upper mids and brought out the bass the most for me,and are what i have on them now still as they burn in awhile longer.

Are your custom sleeves the same as the ones Ety is starting the program on in a few days? If they'd fit several of my iem's i might be tempted by those.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #35 of 202
No, I have a pair of UM56s, actually two pair, that I got from Westone (having two was a mistake on their part, but they said to keep them). I use them for both the SM3s and the Etys, and they are soft silicone, not hard acrylic.

I also tried the glider tips, but found them too harsh compared to the customs. I owned the Sony X, and I think you can EQ these phones with the Sony system. Not a perfect solution, but a good one. I am waiting for my new J3 (replaced my 16GB with a 32GB model) and the Cowon EQ system also shaped the Etys into a more listenable IEM. But the customs seem to do the trick as well. I also boosted the bass on the J3 with the Etys. Using them with normal or flat EQ doesn't work for me (I also boost the bass on my Rockboxed Clip and the Etys respond nicely). I have an 8GB Touch, and I did try the bass boost with some success. But it could be the combo of the EQ and custom tips, which you don't  have.

But again, mano a mano, the DBAs are much preferable to the Etys.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #36 of 202

Quote:
No, I have a pair of UM56s, actually two pair, that I got from Westone (having two was a mistake on their part, but they said to keep them). I use them for both the SM3s and the Etys, and they are soft silicone, not hard acrylic.

I also tried the glider tips, but found them too harsh compared to the customs. I owned the Sony X, and I think you can EQ these phones with the Sony system. Not a perfect solution, but a good one. I am waiting for my new J3 (replaced my 16GB with a 32GB model) and the Cowon EQ system also shaped the Etys into a more listenable IEM. But the customs seem to do the trick as well. I also boosted the bass on the J3 with the Etys. Using them with normal or flat EQ doesn't work for me (I also boost the bass on my Rockboxed Clip and the Etys respond nicely). I have an 8GB Touch, and I did try the bass boost with some success. But it could be the combo of the EQ and custom tips, which you don't  have.

But again, mano a mano, the DBAs are much preferable to the Etys.

Thanks. That gives me an idea of what the custom tips do for the sound. I found the glider tips less harsh than the tri-flange,so if the custom tips are even less so, that gives me an idea of what to expect if i decide to go that route. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #37 of 202
I do like the idea that the customs work with several phones I currently own. I got the UM56s for my UM3X initially, but always try to buy phones that will work with them (SM3, DBA, Ety, etc). I have some two IEMS with the large sound tubes (PR1 Pro, HD RE-Zero) too, but prefer BAs, which usually have the thin sound tube. The Ety custom sleeves looked designed just for Etys though, as the driver body goes into the sleeve. With the UM56s, the Ety body sticks out. Looks funky, but I don't care.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #38 of 202
I find it REALLY ODD that pretty much everyone agrees that these IEM's are still bass shy/need bass EQ, etc, just like all other Ety products.  I was really expecting something different but they sound like a rawer, less refined HF5 at this point.  Burn in with this driver won't do much just as it did not do much with the other "moving coil" armatures (GR8,  eQ7) on the market.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #39 of 202
Yeah, I hear you. Could just be me, but I need to boost the bass on my pair. It is odd, but again, it's Ety. Wonder if their new ER models will be any different. And, there are many Ety owners who are happy with the bass as is, I was never one of them. Same with the ADDIEMs or similar BAs, though. Only BAs, to me, that really have bass that requires no EQ are the SM3s and the W3s,maybe the UM3X. Not sure if they are a rawer edition of the HF5s. Will have to see that the member who ordered both has to say, I guess.

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #40 of 202
The mc5 arrived today... Thank you Etymotic for impeccable timing, I just got home from a youth conference. I am now listening to the first songs (In a more perfect state of silence than I have ever not heard) Initial impressions are as expected, highly moderated bass, realistic sound presentation. In order to help prevent bias, I have not listened to music from high quality speakers or earphones for the last three days.

The Listening So Far: normal EQ unless otherwise stated.

1 - Eminem - Not afraid - Mushroom Foam: Realistic vocals, Unsatisfying bass, HipHop makes reasonably 'full' lower end. Tiny soundstage.

2 - Enya - Cursum Perficio - Tri-Flange Silicone: Less satisfying vocals, EQ to classical helps. Pleasing string instrumentals, back to normal EQ makes them seem recessed.

3 - Boston - Higher Power - Tri-Flange Silicone: Great guitar introduction... Less so as the songs gets busy. Rock EQ reverses the effect, business sounds great.

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #41 of 202

Quote:
I find it REALLY ODD that pretty much everyone agrees that these IEM's are still bass shy/need bass EQ, etc, just like all other Ety products.  I was really expecting something different but they sound like a rawer, less refined HF5 at this point.  Burn in with this driver won't do much just as it did not do much with the other "moving coil" armatures (GR8,  eQ7) on the market.

These are moving armatures?  Thought they were dynamics.  These would be the cheapest moving armatures if that was the case.  I agree that the GR8's did not benefit much from burn in.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #42 of 202
Quote:
Burn in with this driver won't do much just as it did not do much with the other "moving coil" armatures (GR8,  eQ7) on the market.

Pretty sure MC5 (and MC3) is just regular dynamic / moving coil transducer. GR8 and e-Q7 are 'moving armature', I don't think there is such thing as 'moving coil armature'.

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #44 of 202

Quote:
Good to know, because I have had mine burning in for a day now, and intend to let them hit 50 hours before I listen again. Hope they have improved, as they should if they are dynamics.

Same here. Mine are just shy of 50 right now, and i'm avoiding listening to my other phones for a day, and then going to see if my impressions change. Then i'll be satisfied with whatever impressions i have of them without wondering if i gave them a truly fair shake.
Look forward to seeing what you think after burn in as well.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #45 of 202
Ety did say that they are just normal dynamics. Hopefully burn-in does change some things with them, it'll be interesting to see if it steals the RE0's show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back