Ety MC5
Jun 28, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #61 of 202
Thanks for the quick reply! I listen to mainly classic rock, country, some 80's and a little acoustic stuff. I pretty much listen to everything but hip-hop and rap. lol I was mainly wondering if the hf5's were worth the $50 difference in price.

Did the MC5 come with the filters and a case? Not sure if you ever owned the 6i's, but do the MC5's fit down in your ear like the 6i's do? Most of my flights are 7 hour plus and I found the 6i's to remain comfortable even after multiple hours of use Thanks again for the responses and I'm looking forward to my new pair. These stock apple headphones have been killing me!

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #62 of 202
Slaters70, stevenswall - I am seriously thinking of getting MC5. And, now that I am able to save a bit with the lower price (over HF5), would getting FiiO 5 help as an amp? I do like the idea of a slightly warmer sound on MC5.

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #63 of 202
Yes, the MC5s are deep insertion IEMs, like all Etys. And yes, the come with a soft case too. But remember, the MC5s will sound their best after 40-50 hours of burn-in, unlike the hf5s. I think the MC5s are a very good value.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #64 of 202
Thanks Slaters70! I just pulled the trigger on a black pair of the MC5s. As far as burn in goes, I'm assuming that I just connect them to my PC and let music play for 40 to 50 hours? I'll have them tomorrow at 10AM and will start the burn in process then. Thanks again for all the help!

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #66 of 202

Quote:
Never heard the RE0s,so can't compare. ...

For only $79 you should definitely get the RE0!   You have/buy so many different phones, you would be a great resource for those of us who do have the RE0 but can't collect as many at one time!

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #67 of 202

Quote:
Thanks Slaters70! I just pulled the trigger on a black pair of the MC5s. As far as burn in goes, I'm assuming that I just connect them to my PC and let music play for 40 to 50 hours? I'll have them tomorrow at 10AM and will start the burn in process then. Thanks again for all the help!

Yep, plug them up and let 'em play.  If normal volume lever for you would be, say 5 out of 10, play them at 7 -- all kinds of music, a random play of your whole library.  It's hard to do that when you first get something new and want to listen to it, but dynamic driver phones need that play time to loosen/settle/relax, etc.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #68 of 202
Makes no sense for me, since I have heard the 252s and now have the RE-Zeros, which to my mind are RE0s, but improved (maybe Joker can expound on that since he has owned both). But to me, the Etys are really good enough of a $79 phone, and I have doubts I would find the RE0 any better than either it or the RE-Zero.

Quote:
For only $79 you should definitely get the RE0!   You have/buy so many different phones, you would be a great resource for those of us who do have the RE0 but can't collect as many at one time!

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #69 of 202
I have listened to both earphones, a few songs at a time, switching out the earphones as I repeat each pattern of music for about an hour... A comparison is under way, as I have notes to help, but alas, after changing the eartips for the first time on the Hf5, they broke!

Here is another photo showing the black chrome of the Mc5 housing, compared to the smaller cobalt blue housing on the Hf5...

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #70 of 202
Wow, that stinks. But no doubt getting replacements will be very easy. My experience with Ety is great customer service. Of course, if you got them from Amazon, it's even easier in the first 30 days.

Look forward to your comparison, but I am starting to like the MC5s with my one setup in particular. I guess one thing to ask: Are you replacing the hf5? If not, that says it all.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #71 of 202
Another 12 hours of burn in definitely made a noticeable difference in mine today. Much smoother, better balanced sound as the hours tick by. And i think i now understand what custom tips might do for these, as i rolled up the glider tips and shoved them in so far tonight i literally didn't think i was going to get them out. But while i had them in the difference a real deep insertion and tight seal made was really a revelation. It wasn't really all that comfortable, but it gave me an idea of what the MC5 is capable of sounding like. 
I know i would very bluntly tell any burn in nay-sayers to turn around and get outta dodge..these aren't for you. But if you have the patience to let 'em break in and loosen up a little, the sound-to-price ratio will also increase your grin ratio. A big difference from the harsh upper mids i was hearing early on, and i can't believe they smoothed out so much.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #72 of 202
Sorry, another minor question, what kind of plug do the MC5 have? Straight, L, 45 degrees? The more I read this thread, the more I want them (over the RE0) 
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #73 of 202
Yeah, these seem really good. Would you say that the MC5 seem pretty durable? After coming off using Klipsch S4s, I'm looking for something a bit sturdier that sounds just as nice. Also, is getting custom tips going to make a huge difference in sound, or are the default ones fine?

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #74 of 202
Having owned the S4s at one point, the MC5s seem sturdier, but I never had any problems with the S4s. Getting custom tips for a $79 IEM seems a little over the top. If you have more than one pair of IEMs that can take the UM56, as I do, then it's a very good move. I mean, I paid $115 for my UM56s and that was a very good price. They typically cost $150-$160. Not sure what Ety charges for their custom sleeves though.

As for the plug, it's one of those 45-degree plugs. Very fortified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back