Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #33,841 of 40,672
Wish i had more time to listen to the EVO. I think its a really great IEM. I mentioned i wish it had more treble but it teeters that fine line between eating one chip or the whole bag.

For me, regardless of the size of the container, one bite of ice cream leads to an empty container. 🤣

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #33,842 of 40,672

EVO owners, give this track a go.

The rumbling is already pretty insane with the Fourté and the SK. I can’t wait to try it out on the EVO soon.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #33,843 of 40,672
The IE900 was too energetic for me lol... I suspect it has to do with the fairly sharp rise from 4 to 6k. And yes, music genre has a large impact as well.
I just want to check something. Is it the 4 to 6k region that shows the peak or forwardness of the upper mids ? I’m thinking here about Odin’s peak that I was sensitive to. I’m asking because I want to be able to read a graph better.

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #33,844 of 40,672
I just want to check something. Is it the 4 to 6k region that shows the peak or forwardness of the upper mids ? I’m thinking here about Odin’s peak that I was sensitive to. I’m asking because I want to be able to read a graph better.
Ehhh not as simple as that. It’s really based on how fast the middle mid 600-1k rises to the 2k region and then how elevated things stay from 2k to 4k. 6k can be a factor if it stays flat elevated into the treble.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #33,845 of 40,672
Us headphones.com orders of the EVO only have a couple more days before we get to experience them. Taron/Andrew sent us an email a few days ago with the FedEx tracking and it’s because of delays on the FedEx side that we haven’t gotten them yet. They’re currently in Troutdale OR. I suspect that they’ll get to headphones headquarters around Monday and then if all else goes well those that ordered on the site will most likely get them Wednesday. Thanks @TaronL for all the updates!

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #33,847 of 40,672
Guys i was about to buy ODIN but kinda want to do more research to find the best CIME that would fit me.

what is the best CIEM that focus on Upper Mids and Vocals? like very Lush, Romantic yet Rich and Super Thick / forward vocals (dont mind shouty)
think LCD-4 or LCD-R how they always win the Mids vs any other headphone etc
thanks in advance. i am thinking Sony Golden DAP for it too since its warmish and fits the mids bill. also i dont mind 5000$ price for CIEM.

Empire Ears are the best CIEM makers so hopefully they have something that would fit my needs sound sig wise.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #33,848 of 40,672
Guys i was about to buy ODIN but kinda want to do more research to find the best CIME that would fit me.

what is the best CIEM that focus on Upper Mids and Vocals? like very Lush, Romantic yet Rich and Super Thick / forward vocals (dont mind shouty)
thanks in advance. i am thinking Sony Golden DAP for it too since its warmish and fits the mids bill. also i dont mind 5000$ price for CIEM.

Empire Ears are the best CIEM makers so hopefully they have something that would fit my needs sound sig wise.
The Odin is forward with vocals and instruments but I wouldn’t say rich and super thick. It’s very detailed and slightly above neutral warmth wise.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #33,849 of 40,672

The ODIN would be the the best candidate for an upper-mid-centric IEM, but I'd agree with @CL14715 in that they aren't thick or rich. I would've probably recommended the Phantom, but since it isn't available anymore, I reckon your best bet right now would probably be, funnily enough, the Legend X. It isn't necessarily vocal-forward, but it's the closest you're gonna get for the sound you're after out of EE's line-up.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #33,850 of 40,672
That Indica track's very unique to me, man. I've never heard world music and EDM fused like that before. 'Great stuff! The track's sound actually reminds me of a band from Snarky Puppy's label. They even have common personnel. They're called Bokanté. Their music is a mix of world, funk and jazz, and they make incredible use of traditional, hand-played percussion. They have three percussionists and none of them are on a drum kit. :D

Here's one of my favourite tracks off their first record:

Also, give this one a go on the EVO. The stereo panning and low-end here is pretty darn' sick :wink::

This is one off their second record. It's with the incredible Metropole Orkest, and it's a much grander, more sweeping sound that's still very characteristically them:

G.O.A.T is definitely their most well-known track - awesome song - and I'll be sure to give Nasty a listen too. :wink: If you're also into more modern, slightly-pop-infused, yet still-heavy rock, I'd also recommend Daughtry. They just released a new record this year, and there are quite a few gems on it:

Those tiny bubbles on the Valkyrie and ODIN faceplates are common, indeed. There are probably ones on @hshock76's as well, but they're too far away or out-of-focus to see on his pictures. You can clearly see those bubbles on my photo of the ODIN here:

EE-ODIN-6_S.jpg

Unfortunately, it's the nature of the material. It isn't necessary EE's fault, because they receive the resin blocks from the supplier who makes them, then EE cut them to size, attach them to the IEMs and finish them with a coat of lacquer. So, they can't really do anything about the bubbling inside the material, unless they consult their supplier directly. Given the complexity of the materials, I wouldn't be surprised if those bubbles were a necessary compromise to make the faceplates. But, hopefully, you, your dealer and EE can reach some kind of agreement that'll please all parties. :)

I have to check my Odin to see if it has those tiny bubbles, but frankly, I think of the Odin design as representing a super nova with the colors and the bubbles being stars in the background.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #33,851 of 40,672

Hmm. VE Elysium or Erlky might be that. Although i dont recall if they are upper...i just know the erlky had so much attack and presence on tom hits. Although that 6k pierce with some recordings made my ears bleed from cymbal crashes.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #33,852 of 40,672
The Odin is forward with vocals and instruments but I wouldn’t say rich and super thick. It’s very detailed and slightly above neutral warmth wise.
I agree. Odin is not thick in the mids. Traillii is, but it is not forward in the upper mids

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #33,853 of 40,672
The ODIN would be the the best candidate for an upper-mid-centric IEM, but I'd agree with @CL14715 in that they aren't thick or rich. I would've probably recommended the Phantom, but since it isn't available anymore, I reckon your best bet right now would probably be, funnily enough, the Legend X. It isn't necessarily vocal-forward, but it's the closest you're gonna get for the sound you're after out of EE's line-up.
Agreed, the LX is going to be your best bet if you only are looking for a CIEM.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #33,854 of 40,672
I'm still learning myself.. Based on the Odin graph I assumed that I am sensitive to the 2-3 kHz area, see below. My assumption was that as long as the bass exceeds this area, I would be fine. But now I'm not so sure. The IE900 is not elevated there, but more towards 6k, and I found it quite forward.

48DC77E2-6080-4460-8B77-06605C65873C.jpeg

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #33,855 of 40,672
I'm still learning myself.. Based on the Odin graph I assumed that I am sensitive to the 2-3 kHz area, see below. My assumption was that as long as the bass exceeds this area, I would be fine. But now I'm not so sure. The IE900 is not elevated there, but more towards 6k, and I found it quite forward.

48DC77E2-6080-4460-8B77-06605C65873C.jpeg
Thanks Mat. I think I read somewhere that the upper mids issue was at 4 - 5k, and there is certainly a peak there in the graph. But in all honesty I really haven’t got a clue how to interpret it. I wish I had paid more attention at school when we were studying sound in physics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back