Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #33,811 of 40,663
Collected my customised LX, and straight off the bat, how I miss its bass. If I were to like to my experiences with alcohol, listening with Lx is akin to drinking aged whiskey whereas with Evo, it’s like a tequila shot… both all so satisfying.
Wow! They look awesome. How is LX with the 1950s shielded cable?

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #33,812 of 40,663
Collected my customised LX, and straight off the bat, how I miss its bass. If I were to like to my experiences with alcohol, listening with Lx is akin to drinking aged whiskey whereas with Evo, it’s like a tequila shot… both all so satisfying.

Love the colors when I saw your pair on Zepp’s FB post. Great selection of gear in your signature. Will def be visiting Kristy and gang when I’m back in SG at the end of the year.

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #33,813 of 40,663
Wow! 150 messages overnight... this thread is on fire! :)

Awesome, man! They're the sorts of artists I send to people when they say music today's boring or dead. Usually, they're being sad or despondent about it, but it's the same in any context. :D
talking about new "amazing" musicians... "Animals As leaders" recently showed up in my recommendations. Man, that guitarist has some rubber fingers. :)

also, if the audiophiles and reviewers want to keep reaching further and bringing more young generation (not only) to the hobby, they need to talk the same language, some people here were not even alive when a lot of the classic bands broke up.

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #33,814 of 40,663
Love the colors when I saw your pair on Zepp’s FB post. Great selection of gear in your signature. Will def be visiting Kristy and gang when I’m back in SG at the end of the year.
Cool, do drop a msg when you’re back in SG and maybe a meet up at Zeppelin can be arranged! 🙃

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #33,815 of 40,663
Wow! 150 messages overnight... this thread is on fire! :)

talking about new "amazing" musicians... "Animals As leaders" recently showed up in my recommendations. Man, that guitarist has some rubber fingers. :)

also, if the audiophiles and reviewers want to keep reaching further and bringing more young generation (not only) to the hobby, they need to talk the same language, some people here were not even alive when a lot of the classic bands broke up.
Indeed! Their latest track was on my list a few pages back. That band’s a three-piece of virtuosos. The guitarist you’re talking about is Tosin Abasi; a genius player, but he’s made great strides for the wider landscape of guitars as well. He has a custom workshop called Abasi Concepts, which makes UFO-looking, 8-string guitars. And, I believe he’s one of the guys behind Neural DSP’s Archetype plug-in too, which works with artists to create virtual amps and/or pedalboards that emulate their sound. Don’t quote me on that last one, though.

Matt Garstka’s a ridiculous drummer who I can’t speak enough about. I just bought his double-kick lesson to practice at home. :D Javier Reyes is probably their most underrated member. He’s the one I know least about as well, but we all know the value of a solid rhythm player. They’re as priceless as they come in my book.

Polyphia was on my list as well with Tim Henson, who’s also a freak on guitar. Check out some of their stuff, if you haven’t.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #33,816 of 40,663
Indeed! Their latest track was on my list a few pages back. That band’s a three-piece of virtuosos. The guitarist you’re talking about is Tosin Abasi; a genius player, but he’s made great strides for the wider landscape of guitars as well. He has a custom workshop called Abasi Concepts, which makes UFO-looking, 8-string guitars. And, I believe he’s one of the guys behind Neural DSP’s Archetype plug-in too, which works with artists to create virtual amps and/or pedalboards that emulate their sound. Don’t quote me on that last one, though.

Matt Garstka’s a ridiculous drummer who I can’t speak enough about. I just bought his double-kick lesson to practice at home. :D Javier Reyes is probably their most underrated member. He’s the one I know least about as well, but we all know the value of a solid rhythm player. They’re as priceless as they come in my book.
For sure! Great trio. The definitely complement each other. Great players of the new generation, for sure.

Didn’t know all those details, but it makes sense coming from the technicalities on the songs they are putting together.

For those with LX/EVO this band should sound really good on your gear.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #33,817 of 40,663
I didn't care for the Crystals, on the Sedna’s I went with the shorts, looking forward to your feedback on the 07s, I’ll try the Acoustune 08s tonight.

I just tried the AET07s today, improved clarity in the mids for me but hearing less bass rumble. Also tried the clear Final E tips that I have, slightly improved clarity over the black Final E tips and maybe losing a tiny bit of bass but overall I think I like it too.

I’m liking both the clear versions of the Sedna Lights and the Final E over their black/grey counterparts.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #33,819 of 40,663
Holy smokes, this thread never fails to entertain. @aaf evo, a personal and sincere apology if my analysis of Island contributed in any way to the deluge of angst around here. That truly wasn't my intention, and I was just making observations based on my own perception of that track and (possibly inaccurate) assumptions of gear. None of it was ever meant as a direct or personal slight against you or you music choices, which, as I hope you know, I have the highest respect for. 🙏🏻

To chime in on some of the other overnight ongoings...

like really getting offended on forums is like hitting your finger in a corner of sofa and trying to kick it, hoping it will hut it lol.

Had to quote this, so funny (and true!). Can't even count how many times that was my exact reaction to jabbing my toe on the couch. 😅

Lol this topic is so overdone-it’s not just because of the supposed disgusting genre😂. EVO can be an unforgiving IEM, across multiple genres. The lower mid recession adds extra emphasis on the upper mids and although they are smoother than let’s say LXSE, they aren’t quite as smooth as Odin. When a frequency is forward, it is important for that frequency to be smooth to avoid potential fatigue IMO. I also don’t feel Genesis does the EVO many favors as I notice an overall improvement from 4w1960, and even slightly the LL Venom. So as mentioned before, the upper-mids quality is a valid debate.

That being said, this will not be an issue for most folks without an upper-mids sensitivity, and especially not for folks NOT coming from Uber-clarity monitors like Elysian X. Reference points are pretty crucial in evaluations.

Indeed it is😋.

To get this thread back on track, does anyone else have great song recommendations to showcase EVO’s strengths?

Very true, I hear EVO as unforgiving on certain tracks across different genres. Besides Island, there's also the band version of Evanescence's My Immortal (better on speakers), and one or two others I forget. Thankfully, for me, the harsh tracks are in the extreme minority, and where there's a bassline involved, can often be momentarily ignored in favour of that delicious bass.

As for an example of a great song for EVO, I showcased quite a few over the last week, but to stick with the EDM theme, here are two current favourites:

Screenshot_20211016-083442_cropped.png

https://tidal.com/track/65019820

Screenshot_20211016-083713_cropped.png

https://tidal.com/track/85926568
Also @Ojisan my end theory as to why I was hearing that perceived harshness was that upper mid heavy tracks + BCD air may have been “coating” the note edges with that special sauce which my ears weren’t a fan of. Unfortunately there’s no way for me to really know as the only other noticeable BCD IEM Mason FS is quite recessed in the upper mids.

This is very interesting indeed, as the BCD is definitely adding new dimensions to the sound, with every possibility that, once in a while, that won't be a good thing, depending on your preferences.

You know, with MEST and now more so with the Evo, I wish there was a way to switch off the BCD to hear what it's doing. Maybe such an option will come to the community one day...

Just remember that MEST does BCD very differently to EVO, so I'm not sure if the two approaches are comparable. But it would be useful to get more technical insight on exactly how Weapon X works and what it adds to the mix.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #33,820 of 40,663
I just tried the AET07s today, improved clarity in the mids for me but hearing less bass rumble.
I don't feel loss of rumble (maybe compared to Final E), but these tighten up the bass and smooth out/clarify mids and treble to open up the sound and add more depth, which I found useful with the OG LX and now with EVO. I've just discovered that using size S in my left ear and M- on my right ear works better and feels more balanced, so ear anatomy is yet another variable that has to be accounted for, sigh. I do wish I could find AET07 in all black, like Acoustune ship with their own IEMs.

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #33,821 of 40,663
I do wish I could find AET07 in all black, like Acoustune ship with their own IEMs.

Oh the new AEX07 and AEX50 tips are shipping with the new Acoustune flagship, can’t wait to try them both! Also hope Acoustune will make them available soon.

The AEX07 is supposedly an AET07 with slightly modified sizes and shapes.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #33,822 of 40,663

Polyphia was on my list as well with Tim Henson, who’s also a freak on guitar. Check out some of their stuff, if you haven’t.
You got me nodding here.

PS.: "Polyphia - Nasty" is another crazy one.
Ok so forewarning. This is heavy and the bands name isn’t pleasing, nor is the song name. Avert your eyes if you cannot tolerate the savagery, for everyone else… just put your EVO in, watch and giggle. It’s just a drum play through.

You got some speed there. A good low mid IEM is deserved here.
Holy smokes, this thread never fails to entertain. @aaf evo, a personal and sincere apology if my analysis of Island contributed in any way to the deluge of angst around here. That truly wasn't my intention, and I was just making observations based on my own perception of that track and (possibly inaccurate) assumptions of gear. None of it was ever meant as a direct or personal slight against you or you music choices, which, as I hope you know, I have the highest respect for. 🙏🏻

To chime in on some of the other overnight ongoings...

Had to quote this, so funny (and true!). Can't even count how many times that was my exact reaction to jabbing my toe on the couch. 😅

Very true, I hear EVO as unforgiving on certain tracks across different genres. Besides Island, there's also the band version of Evanescence's My Immortal (better on speakers), and one or two others I forget. Thankfully, for me, the harsh tracks are in the extreme minority, and where there's a bassline involved, can often be momentarily ignored in favour of that delicious bass.

As for an example of a great song for EVO, I showcased quite a few over the last week, but to stick with the EDM theme, here are two current favourites:

This is very interesting indeed, as the BCD is definitely adding new dimensions to the sound, with every possibility that, once in a while, that won't be a good thing, depending on your preferences.

Just remember that MEST does BCD very differently to EVO, so I'm not sure if the two approaches are comparable. But it would be useful to get more technical insight on exactly how Weapon X works and what it adds to the mix.
Mate... I felt my brain melt on these...I can only imagine with an EVO. That Portuguese ones gave me a bit of home feelings. (saved to my playlist)

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #33,823 of 40,663
Crazy l/r separation on this one. Treble sounds good on EVO too👌
Yes any of their stuff showcases the EVO. The music is full and involved, stuff comes at you from multiple directions. There is a lot of stuff going on in there I use Rock Candy Funk Party to test all IEM's When I gave the track to @CL14715 he was like WOW so involved. I prefer The Groove3(cubed), but there is nothing wrong with the Groove is King

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #33,824 of 40,663
Ok so forewarning. This is heavy and the bands name isn’t pleasing, nor is the song name. Avert your eyes if you cannot tolerate the savagery, for everyone else… just put your EVO in, watch and giggle. It’s just a drum play through.

I think 7:00am was too early...yikes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back