Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #33,826 of 40,611
is it normal ?
It's not, for sure. EE's quality control checks for every single bubble and that's an interesting unit you have here.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #33,827 of 40,611
Putting some gasoline into the „Islands song“ fire - @Precogvision also uses this song to test the Bass Precogs Test Tunes

This is what he is looking for in the song:

Trivecta, Wooli, Seven Lions - Island (feat. Nevve): The part that I am listening for here is from 2:23 to 2:50 which features Wooli’s drops. His drops have a very distinctive characteristic to them. They lean dark, rich, and with a touch of messiness. They are some of the hardest hitting drops that I have heard in EDM, and it is very easy to tell when a transducer is not slamming properly on them. The drops hit in quick succession too. A characteristic that I will often listen for is how a transducer is able to transition from drop to drop. Some transducers are able to scale the nuance of the drops, but they don’t sink as deeply or with as much aplomb as they should.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #33,828 of 40,611
Hello,

I have received my Valk mk2 since couple of weeks, I loved the sound quality :) of course fantastic, but I can see that the faceplate's quality of @hshock76 is EXTREMELY better compared to mine as you can see.

I have a lot of bubbles and it seems very cheap ?
Sadly I like the sound signature but for a price like this, I am extremely dissapoint when I see that my DUNU SA6 and Audiosense DT200 are a better quality for a funny price compared to this EE.

@Jack Vang is it normal ?

Byt the way I have already contacted the Polish official reseller for this topic....

thanks for your feedback

The bubbles are in the actual faceplate material itself but if you're unhappy i'd be glad to get it swapped out for you. Please PM me so that we can arrange something :)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #33,829 of 40,611
Holy smokes, this thread never fails to entertain. @aaf evo, a personal and sincere apology if my analysis of Island contributed in any way to the deluge of angst around here. That truly wasn't my intention, and I was just making observations based on my own perception of that track and (possibly inaccurate) assumptions of gear. None of it was ever meant as a direct or personal slight against you or you music choices, which, as I hope you know, I have the highest respect for. 🙏🏻

To chime in on some of the other overnight ongoings...

Had to quote this, so funny (and true!). Can't even count how many times that was my exact reaction to jabbing my toe on the couch. 😅

Very true, I hear EVO as unforgiving on certain tracks across different genres. Besides Island, there's also the band version of Evanescence's My Immortal (better on speakers), and one or two others I forget. Thankfully, for me, the harsh tracks are in the extreme minority, and where there's a bassline involved, can often be momentarily ignored in favour of that delicious bass.

As for an example of a great song for EVO, I showcased quite a few over the last week, but to stick with the EDM theme, here are two current favourites:

This is very interesting indeed, as the BCD is definitely adding new dimensions to the sound, with every possibility that, once in a while, that won't be a good thing, depending on your preferences.

Just remember that MEST does BCD very differently to EVO, so I'm not sure if the two approaches are comparable. But it would be useful to get more technical insight on exactly how Weapon X works and what it adds to the mix.
That Indica track's very unique to me, man. I've never heard world music and EDM fused like that before. 'Great stuff! The track's sound actually reminds me of a band from Snarky Puppy's label. They even have common personnel. They're called Bokanté. Their music is a mix of world, funk and jazz, and they make incredible use of traditional, hand-played percussion. They have three percussionists and none of them are on a drum kit. :D

Here's one of my favourite tracks off their first record:

Also, give this one a go on the EVO. The stereo panning and low-end here is pretty darn' sick :wink::

This is one off their second record. It's with the incredible Metropole Orkest, and it's a much grander, more sweeping sound that's still very characteristically them:

You got me nodding here.

PS.: "Polyphia - Nasty" is another crazy one.

You got some speed there. A good low mid IEM is deserved here.

Mate... I felt my brain melt on these...I can only imagine with an EVO. That Portuguese ones gave me a bit of home feelings. (saved to my playlist)
G.O.A.T is definitely their most well-known track - awesome song - and I'll be sure to give Nasty a listen too. :wink: If you're also into more modern, slightly-pop-infused, yet still-heavy rock, I'd also recommend Daughtry. They just released a new record this year, and there are quite a few gems on it:

Hello,

I have received my Valk mk2 since couple of weeks, I loved the sound quality :) of course fantastic, but I can see that the faceplate's quality of @hshock76 is EXTREMELY better compared to mine as you can see.

Sadly I like the sound signature but for a price like this, I am extremely dissapoint when I see that my DUNU SA6 and Audiosense DT200 are a better quality for a funny price compared to this EE.

Byt the way I have already contacted the Polish official reseller for this topic....

thanks for your feedback
Those tiny bubbles on the Valkyrie and ODIN faceplates are common, indeed. There are probably ones on @hshock76's as well, but they're too far away or out-of-focus to see on his pictures. You can clearly see those bubbles on my photo of the ODIN here:

EE-ODIN-6_S.jpg

Unfortunately, it's the nature of the material. It isn't necessary EE's fault, because they receive the resin blocks from the supplier who makes them, then EE cut them to size, attach them to the IEMs and finish them with a coat of lacquer. So, they can't really do anything about the bubbling inside the material, unless they consult their supplier directly. Given the complexity of the materials, I wouldn't be surprised if those bubbles were a necessary compromise to make the faceplates. But, hopefully, you, your dealer and EE can reach some kind of agreement that'll please all parties. :)

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #33,830 of 40,611
Ok so forewarning. This is heavy and the bands name isn’t pleasing, nor is the song name. Avert your eyes if you cannot tolerate the savagery, for everyone else… just put your EVO in, watch and giggle. It’s just a drum play through.

Amazing speed and stamina… I’m getting aftershake lol
1634390804940.gif

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #33,831 of 40,611
Hello,

thanks for your feedback
I must have missed this post, but personally I kind of like the bubbles. It looks like they're not too visible, but for me they kind of highlight that there's a chemical process involved in creating the Dragonhide. To each his/her own though.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #33,832 of 40,611
[Puts on flameproof clothing before posting music suggestions :ksc75smile:]

Absolutely love this album with Evo:

AIC_Unplugged.jpg

https://tidal.com/browse/album/5120080

Great imaging from left to right across the stage. Impressive details with the acoustic instruments and plenty of slam when needed.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #33,833 of 40,611
[Puts on flameproof clothing before posting music suggestions :ksc75smile:]

Absolutely love this album with Evo:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/5120080

Great imaging from left to right across the stage. Impressive details with the acoustic instruments and plenty of slam when needed.
This album is on my permanent test track list for all audio gear! I love it.

Staging, layering, guitars, voices, all that is absolutely sublime with the right equipment and perfect for testing!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #33,836 of 40,611
The bubbles are in the actual faceplate material itself but if you're unhappy i'd be glad to get it swapped out for you. Please PM me so that we can arrange something :)
Thanks Jack for your quick answer.

Can you send me in private your email address so that I will contact you and the Polish reseller also please ?

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #33,838 of 40,611
8B9D0E7E-8301-4669-A93E-DEE1A81CFDD7.jpeg
That Indica track's very unique to me, man. I've never heard world music and EDM fused like that before. 'Great stuff! The track's sound actually reminds me of a band from Snarky Puppy's label. They even have common personnel. They're called Bokanté. Their music is a mix of world, funk and jazz, and they make incredible use of traditional, hand-played percussion. They have three percussionists and none of them are on a drum kit. :D

Here's one of my favourite tracks off their first record:

Also, give this one a go on the EVO. The stereo panning and low-end here is pretty darn' sick :wink::

This is one off their second record. It's with the incredible Metropole Orkest, and it's a much grander, more sweeping sound that's still very characteristically them:

G.O.A.T is definitely their most well-known track - awesome song - and I'll be sure to give Nasty a listen too. :wink: If you're also into more modern, slightly-pop-infused, yet still-heavy rock, I'd also recommend Daughtry. They just released a new record this year, and there are quite a few gems on it:

Those tiny bubbles on the Valkyrie and ODIN faceplates are common, indeed. There are probably ones on @hshock76's as well, but they're too far away or out-of-focus to see on his pictures. You can clearly see those bubbles on my photo of the ODIN here:

EE-ODIN-6_S.jpg

Unfortunately, it's the nature of the material. It isn't necessary EE's fault, because they receive the resin blocks from the supplier who makes them, then EE cut them to size, attach them to the IEMs and finish them with a coat of lacquer. So, they can't really do anything about the bubbling inside the material, unless they consult their supplier directly. Given the complexity of the materials, I wouldn't be surprised if those bubbles were a necessary compromise to make the faceplates. But, hopefully, you, your dealer and EE can reach some kind of agreement that'll please all parties. :)

Unfortunately my eyes do not have the same resolution as the Odin so I can’t make out any bubbles with my naked eye 😂

One things for sure though, I absolutely love how they look.

8B9D0E7E-8301-4669-A93E-DEE1A81CFDD7.jpeg
5B31A154-9389-48DE-93F3-D83BEEC97F05.jpeg

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #33,840 of 40,611
Putting some gasoline into the „Islands song“ fire - @Precogvision also uses this song to test the Bass Precogs Test Tunes

This is what he is looking for in the song:

Trivecta, Wooli, Seven Lions - Island (feat. Nevve): The part that I am listening for here is from 2:23 to 2:50 which features Wooli’s drops. His drops have a very distinctive characteristic to them. They lean dark, rich, and with a touch of messiness. They are some of the hardest hitting drops that I have heard in EDM, and it is very easy to tell when a transducer is not slamming properly on them. The drops hit in quick succession too. A characteristic that I will often listen for is how a transducer is able to transition from drop to drop. Some transducers are able to scale the nuance of the drops, but they don’t sink as deeply or with as much aplomb as they should.

it's a fine track honestly. The bass sounded magnificent on the EVO. At least, if i recall. Id have to go back and read my comment.

Wish i had more time to listen to the EVO. I think its a really great IEM. I mentioned i wish it had more treble but it teeters that fine line between eating one chip or the whole bag.

I want to get around to A/B the X vs the EVO. As i think gLer mentioned it takes awhile to get used to all it offers and i am really liking how it presents (my) music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back