Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 16, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #33,856 of 40,613
I'm still learning myself.. Based on the Odin graph I assumed that I am sensitive to the 2-3 kHz area, see below. My assumption was that as long as the bass exceeds this area, I would be fine. But now I'm not so sure. The IE900 is not elevated there, but more towards 6k, and I found it quite forward.

48DC77E2-6080-4460-8B77-06605C65873C.jpeg
Exactly. IE900 has a spike in lower treble somewhere arounf 6-7khz. Thats where it gets a bit zingy. Its upper mids are dipped actually.
That zing was something that change my mind. Loved tis bass though.

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #33,857 of 40,613
Interestingly I hear no zing at all with the IE 900, but I do hear the mid-forwardeness of EVO (though it doesn't affect me as much as I feared it might). Also, I've just discovered what a major effect sources can have on the sound of different IEMs. Busy testing the new HiBy RS6, and while the synergy with the IE 900 is sublime, it makes EVO sounds too forward/hot/congested with too many tracks for my liking. Allthewhile EVO is sublime with the R8. I'm starting to realise how critical source pairing is.

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #33,858 of 40,613
Interestingly I hear no zing at all with the IE 900, but I do hear the mid-forwardeness of EVO (though it doesn't affect me as much as I feared it might). Also, I've just discovered what a major effect sources can have on the sound of different IEMs. Busy testing the new HiBy RS6, and while the synergy with the IE 900 is sublime, it makes EVO sounds too forward/hot/congested with too many tracks for my liking. Allthewhile EVO is sublime with the R8. I'm starting to realise how critical source pairing is.
Question - I don’t have a DAP yet. If you were in my shoes and had to choose between the RS6 or R8, which one would you choose? I assume it’d be the R8 since I’ll be mainly using the EVO with it.

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #33,859 of 40,613
Definitely.

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #33,860 of 40,613
Question - I don’t have a DAP yet. If you were in my shoes and had to choose between the RS6 or R8, which one would you choose? I assume it’d be the R8 since I’ll be mainly using the EVO with it.
DX300 with Amp 12.

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #33,861 of 40,613
Maybe grab a Lotoo S2 or L&P W2 and see if that works before dumping a lot into a DAP. Just a thought

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #33,863 of 40,613

I wonder what role an amplifier’s power, voltage, and current have on the Weapon X, @Jack Vang do you know?

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #33,864 of 40,613
Guys i was about to buy ODIN but kinda want to do more research to find the best CIME that would fit me.

what is the best CIEM that focus on Upper Mids and Vocals? like very Lush, Romantic yet Rich and Super Thick / forward vocals (dont mind shouty)
think LCD-4 or LCD-R how they always win the Mids vs any other headphone etc
thanks in advance. i am thinking Sony Golden DAP for it too since its warmish and fits the mids bill. also i dont mind 5000$ price for CIEM.

Empire Ears are the best CIEM makers so hopefully they have something that would fit my needs sound sig wise.
Unless you are situated at a place where an audition is not possible, otherwise, why not go have a listen for yourself? Even if you’re set on the Odin (which would be my choice for an EE CIEM) or whichever other, it’s good to have a first hand (or ear) comparison with others so you know beyond doubt that you’re getting something you’ve tried and like! There’s no substitute for experience really. From this thread alone, you’d know that everyone hears things differently…

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #33,865 of 40,613
Wow! 150 messages overnight... this thread is on fire! :)

talking about new "amazing" musicians... "Animals As leaders" recently showed up in my recommendations. Man, that guitarist has some rubber fingers. :)

also, if the audiophiles and reviewers want to keep reaching further and bringing more young generation (not only) to the hobby, they need to talk the same language, some people here were not even alive when a lot of the classic bands broke up.
Animals as Leaders is an amazing band

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #33,866 of 40,613
It's been a busy work week and been heavily contemplating whether to EVO or not to EVO. After a conflicted initial impression of my 5 most listened tracks, I decided to audition my other playlists spanning 3 decades of music genre - Bob Welch "Sentimental Lady", Seals & Croft "We may never pass this way (Again)", Dr. Hook, Bread "Make it with you", Michael McDonald, The Rolling Stones "Wild Horses" - "Gimme shelter" and sound this random gem from the 80s - Olivia Newton John and Cliff Richard "Suddenly" from Xanadu *LOL - who doesn't secretly listen to ONJ 🤣* and went damn all of these tracks sound f'ing amazing...

IMG_3140.jpeg IMG_3143.jpeg

Which brought me to my favorite bass track to test EVO that I use to test my home audio (B&W 803D + 805D Series 3 with 2x JL Audio Fathom ff112v2 subs) - Kodomo Concept 11. Well shizzle, I'm keeping these huge EVO musically conflicting bass monsters and picking up a pair of EXTs, too LOL...

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #33,867 of 40,613
I wonder what role an amplifier’s power, voltage, and current have on the Weapon X, @Jack Vang do you know?

I tested the Evo with my desktop setup today (class A, 16v into 10ohms) vs DX300Max (4.4v into 32ohms). With Evo being 4.5ohm@1kHz, it's probably much lower voltage. I basically heard what I expected with better-driven dynamic drivers. The bass maintains quantity but the grip is substantially improved. Max's output almost sounds muddy in mid-bass by comparison. I think Evo responds really well to amp scaling.

I wonder what source/amp EE uses for in-house reference?

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #33,868 of 40,613
I tested the Evo with my desktop setup today (class A, 16v into 10ohms) vs DX300Max (4.4v into 32ohms). With Evo being 4.5ohm@1kHz, it's probably much lower voltage. I basically heard what I expected with better-driven dynamic drivers. The bass maintains quantity but the grip is substantially improved. Max's output almost sounds muddy in mid-bass by comparison. I think Evo responds really well to amp scaling.

For a long while, it was the Chord Hugo 2. I don’t know whether or not that’s changed.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #33,869 of 40,613

Not sure, @CL14715 , do you remember what desktop gear EE uses during development?

I'll try my little A90, maybe even the WA5 (only testing to see how the EVO does with a full tube setup), tomorrow.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #33,870 of 40,613
The EVO and the Allman Brothers, a marriage made in Heaven!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back