Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 17, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #33,871 of 40,664
Question - I don’t have a DAP yet. If you were in my shoes and had to choose between the RS6 or R8, which one would you choose? I assume it’d be the R8 since I’ll be mainly using the EVO with it.
If I had to answer right now I'd say R8, but that's not fair on the RS6 as I haven't given it a fair shake, and I'm having some technical issues with it that need resolving before I do.

I will say that I've never heard an IEM to sound so radically different between two sources (especially from the same brand). I don't think it's a matter of power output either because at the volumes I'm listening at, both these DAPs are pushing very similar power output (in fact RS6 is lower on the volume dial than R8, even though it has theoretically less power, and yes I know volume doesn't rwial power).

Irritatingly there are some things I prefer with the RS6 and EVO, and some things I don't, and it's all quite track dependent too, which suggests there's a FR emphasis going on that's clashing with something EVO is doing. Coloured IEM + coloured source can be tricky, which probably explains why the more 'neutral' (relatively) IE 900 isn't so different between sources (to this extent anyway), and also the more neutral R8 showing the benefit of a neutral source with a wider range of IEMs.

More to follow once I figure it out, but thought I'd put it out there that EVO seems to be quite source picky...

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #33,872 of 40,664
If I had to answer right now I'd say R8, but that's not fair on the RS6 as I haven't given it a fair shake, and I'm having some technical issues with it that need resolving before I do.

I will say that I've never heard an IEM to sound so radically different between two sources (especially from the same brand). I don't think it's a matter of power output either because at the volumes I'm listening at, both these DAPs are pushing very similar power output (in fact RS6 is lower on the volume dial than R8, even though it has theoretically less power, and yes I know volume doesn't rwial power).

Irritatingly there are some things I prefer with the RS6 and EVO, and some things I don't, and it's all quite track dependent too, which suggests there's a FR emphasis going on that's clashing with something EVO is doing. Coloured IEM + coloured source can be tricky, which probably explains why the more 'neutral' (relatively) IE 900 isn't so different between sources (to this extent anyway), and also the more neutral R8 showing the benefit of a neutral source with a wider range of IEMs.

More to follow once I figure it out, but thought I'd put it out there that EVO seems to be quite source picky...
How would your answer change, for LX OG usage (as opposed to EVO)? RS6 or R8 (or something else)?

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #33,873 of 40,664
Question - I don’t have a DAP yet. If you were in my shoes and had to choose between the RS6 or R8, which one would you choose? I assume it’d be the R8 since I’ll be mainly using the EVO with it.
I have not tried the RS6 or R8 however I am currently using the Cayin N6ii Ti with R01 board with Odin, EVO and Valkyrie MK II. This DAP pairs really well with all 3 IEMs and I really enjoy using it. All sound frequencies especially with the overall bass response are amazing. In my view, you get really awesome sound for what you pay for. The key component you need is the R01 board. @twister6 made a great review on the r01 board here: https://twister6.com/2021/07/30/cayin-r01-r-2r-dac-amp-module-for-n6ii/. The biggest downside is that some may find the OS a bit outdated compared to the newer Android DAPs however I prioritise sound quality and as such the benefit here outweighs the downside. If you cannot find any Ti version, you can still get the normal n6ii with R01 board.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #33,874 of 40,664
I really liked R8 even though I tried it when Lx for a short while. It left quite an impression on me which I didn’t quite get fr my other DAPs

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #33,875 of 40,664
How would your answer change, for LX OG usage (as opposed to EVO)? RS6 or R8 (or something else)?
Good question, and one I'll get to once I sort out some issues with the RS6. Purely my guy here, but I think the LX's more subdued midrange emphasis might work well with the RS6, which (and again just speculating without further listening) pushes parts of the midrange or lower treble up a touch. It's a more dynamic and punchy sound than the R8, from what I've heard so far, but that's not always a good thing when you're pairing already dynamic and punchy IEMs.
I have not tried the RS6 or R8 however I am currently using the Cayin N6ii Ti with R01 board with Odin, EVO and Valkyrie MK II. This DAP pairs really well with all 3 IEMs and I really enjoy using it. All sound frequencies especially with the overall bass response are amazing. In my view, you get really awesome sound for what you pay for. The key component you need is the R01 board. @twister6 made a great review on the r01 board here: https://twister6.com/2021/07/30/cayin-r01-r-2r-dac-amp-module-for-n6ii/. The biggest downside is that some may find the OS a bit outdated compared to the newer Android DAPs however I prioritise sound quality and as such the benefit here outweighs the downside. If you cannot find any Ti version, you can still get the normal n6ii with R01 board.
The RS6 is based on the same R01 board, which is why reports of R01+IE 900 synergy make sense. I'll do more listening today and report back here, but I'm glad to hear there are more excellent options out there for EVO.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #33,877 of 40,664

Good to hear, my R01 board arrived, but my N6ii has been sitting in Hong Kong since Wednesday, I'm looking forward to trying this combination soon (I hope)!

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #33,878 of 40,664
Good to hear, my R01 board arrived, but my N6ii has been sitting in Hong Kong since Wednesday, I'm looking forward to trying this combination soon (I hope)!
Great to hear and glad you picked one up too! Just FYI, the R01 board requires at least 20 hours of burn in so make sure to give it some time. This was my experience at least.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #33,879 of 40,664
Ideally, I’d love to demo all these DAPs before purchasing. I live in the SF Bay Area and the only place I’m aware of is Audio Vision and it looks like they only sell A&K DAPs. Would be nice to bring EVO to a place so I am able to find the right fit for me.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #33,880 of 40,664
Oct 17, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #33,881 of 40,664
Looking forward to trying this song out on the EVO -

The clarity of the guitars playing in both the left and right channels and the bass (behind my head) creates this nice sound stage. Much of the song may be too compressed to people’s liking here though, but the guitars throughout the song have a really nice authoritative weight to them.

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #33,882 of 40,664
Unless you are situated at a place where an audition is not possible, otherwise, why not go have a listen for yourself? Even if you’re set on the Odin (which would be my choice for an EE CIEM) or whichever other, it’s good to have a first hand (or ear) comparison with others so you know beyond doubt that you’re getting something you’ve tried and like! There’s no substitute for experience really. From this thread alone, you’d know that everyone hears things differently…
For what you're describing, the Odin might be a good match indeed. But I agree: If you have the chance to test, well, test. 👍😉 Better safe than sorry.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #33,884 of 40,664
In my collection the LX is the ”all rounder” followed by Fourte. No matter the source, genre or mastering the LX will bring fatigue free speaker like listening. On the other hand the Odin is the most sensitive to any change… source, tip, cable but when you get it right it is head and shoulders above my other iems. Right now it is matched with final e grey, pw no. 10 and kann alpha. As I’ve said before I cannot get a good match with the TT2.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #33,885 of 40,664
In my collection the LX is the ”all rounder” followed by Fourte. No matter the source, genre or mastering the LX will bring fatigue free speaker like listening.
I still prefer my LX SE as my total allrounder as well, it makes some crappy old recordings sound good. The future will tell how it holds up against Evo etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back