Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 17, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #33,901 of 40,720
Purely my guy here, but I think the LX's more subdued midrange emphasis might work well with the RS6, which (and again just speculating without further listening) pushes parts of the midrange or lower treble up a touch. It's a more dynamic and punchy sound than the R8, from what I've heard so far

R8 + LX is a match made in heaven. Excellent synergy (for my taste).
So if the R8 + LX is a match made in heaven, and you like LX with RS6 better (possibly?), that means RS6 + LX is a match made in high-heaven?! :laughing:

Oct 17, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #33,902 of 40,720
Tonights pairing EVO + Aeneid + 3MAX and listening to Aaron Davis & Rob Piltch "Take One", acoustic jazz in DSD512.

I've always enjoyed this album but with EVO - it's intimate, immersive, detailed and textured - can literally feel acoustic bass, strumming of strings, percussion. And the bass, enveloping. If you're into jazz, "Take One" is great album for auditioning EVO.

2XHDAR1036-1-1024x1024.jpg

Oct 17, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #33,903 of 40,720
Tonights pairing EVO + Aeneid + 3MAX and listening to Aaron Davis & Rob Piltch "Take One", acoustic jazz in DSD512.

I've always enjoyed this album but with EVO - it's intimate, immersive, detailed and textured - can literally feel acoustic bass, strumming of strings, percussion. And the bass, enveloping. If you're into jazz, "Take One" is great album for auditioning EVO.

Great recommendation!

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #33,904 of 40,720
I've had a few days to listen to the Evo, so I thought I'd drop in and share some thoughts on what is now one of my favorite IEMs. I owned the LX (several times), LX SE and still own the Odin, so EE sound is not new to me. I should also mention I never even used the stock cable :)

I was most excited about the bass and it has exceeded my expectations. I loved the LX bass as well, but always found it to dominate the signature (not in a bad way) and the Evo deviates here with similarly deep and punchy bass, but a more balanced tuning overall to my ears. The bass, to me, is sort of in between LX and Odin where Odin has that amazingly tight and deep sub-bass focus, but Evo brings in more quantity and a larger amount of mid-bass which I welcome. The low end in general is super punchy, controlled, textured and moves serious air when the music calls for it.

Into the mids, I hear a lot more energy and crispness where the original had a thick, natural mid-range. Into the upper mids, vocals can have a ton of energy and sound forward depending on the track, which I enjoy a great deal. Electric guitar solos resonate in an engaging and textured way - I find that the Evo works incredibly well for band-based rock music and things of that nature.

For treble, I always wanted more from the OG and I am happy to have received it here. Treble sounds sparkly without being unnatural, though it's smoothed a bit compared to something like Odin. Traillii set the treble benchmark for me, but Evo is tuned for more of an all-day listen in this department and I have no complaints. The whole package is, without a doubt, a keeper for my tastes. I've tried a bunch of genres as well and I haven't heard it sound bad on anything yet.

On the topic of the BCD, well, I also own the Mason FS and my take is that the BCD adds texture/air throughout the frequency range. It's really hard to say, though, because I cannot hear the same IEM without it to validate. But, notes are so well-defined and have an almost physical weight to them, so my simple brain tells me that's the BCD :)

As always, @MusicTeck is great and got this thing to me quickly and also a huge shout out to @doctorjuggles for this gorgeous cable that I'm loving on Evo. It's an 8-wire gold-plated silver and it provides a very resolute, detailed sound with great clarity. In comparison to Centurion, this is a touch more natural and smooth where Centurion gave some serious energy to the upper frequencies. Anyway, pretty generic thoughts I suppose, but I'm extremely happy with this IEM and it was worth the wait.

-Collin-

IMG_0598.jpg

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #33,905 of 40,720
I've had a few days to listen to the Evo, so I thought I'd drop in and share some thoughts on what is now one of my favorite IEMs. I owned the LX (several times), LX SE and still own the Odin, so EE sound is not new to me. I should also mention I never even used the stock cable :)

I was most excited about the bass and it has exceeded my expectations. I loved the LX bass as well, but always found it to dominate the signature (not in a bad way) and the Evo deviates here with similarly deep and punchy bass, but a more balanced tuning overall to my ears. The bass, to me, is sort of in between LX and Odin where Odin has that amazingly tight and deep sub-bass focus, but Evo brings in more quantity and a larger amount of mid-bass which I welcome. The low end in general is super punchy, controlled, textured and moves serious air when the music calls for it.

Into the mids, I hear a lot more energy and crispness where the original had a thick, natural mid-range. Into the upper mids, vocals can have a ton of energy and sound forward depending on the track, which I enjoy a great deal. Electric guitar solos resonate in an engaging and textured way - I find that the Evo works incredibly well for band-based rock music and things of that nature.

For treble, I always wanted more from the OG and I am happy to have received it here. Treble sounds sparkly without being unnatural, though it's smoothed a bit compared to something like Odin. Traillii set the treble benchmark for me, but Evo is tuned for more of an all-day listen in this department and I have no complaints. The whole package is, without a doubt, a keeper for my tastes. I've tried a bunch of genres as well and I haven't heard it sound bad on anything yet.

On the topic of the BCD, well, I also own the Mason FS and my take is that the BCD adds texture/air throughout the frequency range. It's really hard to say, though, because I cannot hear the same IEM without it to validate. But, notes are so well-defined and have an almost physical weight to them, so my simple brain tells me that's the BCD :)

As always, @MusicTeck is great and got this thing to me quickly and also a huge shout out to @doctorjuggles for this gorgeous cable that I'm loving on Evo. It's an 8-wire gold-plated silver and it provides a very resolute, detailed sound with great clarity. In comparison to Centurion, this is a touch more natural and smooth where Centurion gave some serious energy to the upper frequencies. Anyway, pretty generic thoughts I suppose, but I'm extremely happy with this IEM and it was worth the wait.

-Collin-

IMG_0598.jpg
The golden doc cable on EVO looks freakin’ unreal 🤩

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #33,907 of 40,720
A great tune to check out with your EVOs (or any other great gear), Art Blakey is one of the best jazz percussionists who's ever picked up the sticks!

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #33,908 of 40,720
One more song and I'll call it might. Strap your EVO on reveal in Ginger Baker’s drum solo! Oh, and how bout those Braves!!!

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #33,910 of 40,720
Okay, just one more, enjoy Bruce’s extraordinary bass solo!

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #33,911 of 40,720
I did some comparisons earlier in the year between Odin and Traillii with some of the classical music styles in my collection. It was not an exhaustive listen as I was trying to figure out if I liked Odin or Traillii more as an all arounder. I decided at that time that I preferred the coherence and tuning of the Traillii over the superior bass performance and upper harmonics airiness of the Odin because for many types of music I listen to, the Traillii's tuning made it better overall.

However, when I started reducing the set of music genre to specifically all classical music and jazz and then sub genres of the same, it became much closer in terms of which one I liked more.

As I have said in many other places, for all types of piano music, Odin is the best there is. For some reason, the tuning in the upper mids gives the piano presence and the estat enhanced treble gives the upper harmonics a glorious presentation in the Odin.

However, when I went to Violin music, it wasn't as clear. The thickness of the mids in the traillii gave violins and string instruments more body and at times the Odin would sound thin and the coherence advantage of the Traillii made most music sound very well balanced which is important in classical music. This is especially true with sound tracks with a lot of dynamics. It really all depended on what musical attribute was more important for a particular piece. If upper harmonics and air were more important, I tended to like the Odin more. Where coherence and depth and thickness in the mids were more important, the Traillii was better.

Interestingly, when EVO came into the picture, I started liking Odin more because I found that for almost every music type, I preferred either EVO or Odin to everything else in my collection. So, those 2 IEMs do a great job and covering all of the music genre I listen to. As a result, Odin has moved up in my rankings of IEMs because in combination with EVO, I've got everything I really need. Everything else has become more of a flavored IEM which I enjoy, but don't see as an all arounder anymore including the Traillii.

I hope this helps.
Thank you very much indeed. 👍😊

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #33,912 of 40,720

-Collin-

IMG_0598.jpg
I've got to get me that cable. It doesn't matter how it sounds. It looks spectacular. What is that called?

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #33,913 of 40,720
I've got to get me that cable. It doesn't matter how it sounds. It looks spectacular. What is that called?
It does look much better than my Gold16.

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #33,914 of 40,720

Users who are viewing this thread

Back