Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #33,796 of 40,686
And not just this hobby, burning passions in one’s hobby is prevalent… when I hear and see my hubby’s e-gaming pursuits 🤪
Heh, I am sure the e-gaming has a touch more vulgar vocabulary affiliated with it than the PG exchange earlier on this thread😂

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #33,797 of 40,686
Yes, we all are. It’s the nature of defending our passions, and what greater passion is there than listening to music reproduced in an extraordinary way?

Indeed. Our favorite gear is like family in a way in the extent to which we're personally connected to it, and why we feel the urge to "defend its honor" as it were-- and every one of us has been ther. It goes to show the depth of emotion & connection this hobby facilitates.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #33,798 of 40,686
Again, you are not understanding why I had to do that. My point is I have tried the song on A LOT of very top end and resolving gear, so please stop trying to discredit my opinions by saying my song choice is bad when its been a constant across multiple pieces of gear of all prices for years. The only way to express that or have a leg to stand on here was to make that hideous list.

You’ve been trying to discredit me from the beginning because my music choice doesn’t align with yours, and it’s frustrating. I am not sitting here saying “Evo is a bad IEM and you shouldn’t buy it”, I am saying “Hey, if you listen to stuff like this you may want to audition or demo first”

I’ve been being civil this whole time yet you’ve been rude once and apologized for it, which is great. Then you come back again and tell me to get back on my medication? Yeah, don’t apologize for that one.

First, no one is discrediting you, I never mentioned you, nor did you figure into any of the statements I made. Second, you have every right to express your opinion. Finally, my reference to meds was due to the paranoia you were showing about the conversations I was having with others on music were related to you in any way, they weren't.

Again, conversions, arguments, “fights” regarding music and musical choices in evaluating gear are older than Headfi, and honestly, older than either of us. They aren't attacks on anyone, I guarantee that there are many on the thread who would hate testing gear with a lot of the stuff I like.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #33,799 of 40,686
Awesome, man! They're the sorts of artists I send to people when they say music today's boring or dead. Usually, they're being sad or despondent about it, but it's the same in any context. :D
I especially enjoyed Jonah Nilsson. It's like Motown/Michael Jackson meets Mark King/Marcus Miller! Jonah also had a collab with Steve Vai so plenty to like here :ksc75smile: Of course, I'm a fan of ToP "Soul with a Capital S" :wink:

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #33,800 of 40,686
Also @Ojisan my end theory as to why I was hearing that perceived harshness was that upper mid heavy tracks + BCD air may have been “coating” the note edges with that special sauce which my ears weren’t a fan of. Unfortunately there’s no way for me to really know as the only other noticeable BCD IEM Mason FS is quite recessed in the upper mids.
You know, with MEST and now more so with the Evo, I wish there was a way to switch off the BCD to hear what it's doing. Maybe such an option will come to the community one day...

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #33,801 of 40,686
You know, with MEST and now more so with the Evo, I wish there was a way to switch off the BCD to hear what it's doing. Maybe such an option will come to the community one day...

are you not able to notice? Easiest way for me to pick it out is listen for air around vocals, it feels like there’s an actual person singing in your ear with their breath touching you lol.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #33,802 of 40,686

I have a feeling that there’ll be many more BCD drivers in the future, so perhaps there will be one.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #33,803 of 40,686
Yes, we all are. It’s the nature of defending our passions, and what greater passion is there than listening to music reproduced in an extraordinary way?
It's possible to do it with a more polite tone, though. 'Just sayin'. :)

I especially enjoyed Jonah Nilsson. It's like Motown/Michael Jackson meets Mark King/Marcus Miller! Jonah also had a collab with Steve Vai so plenty to like here :ksc75smile: Of course, I'm a fan of ToP "Soul with a Capital S" :wink:
Yeah, his voice has that Michael Jackson/Stevie Wonder quality to it, which, combined with his ridiculous technique, makes it superb. It still amazes me that he's able to do those ladder-like, almost-auto-tuned-sounding runs live. His collab with Steve Vai (and his whole solo record in general) wasn't my cup-of-tea mix-wise. I thought there were a few elements that were off-balance, like his backing harmonies being too loud compared to his lead vocals. But, yeah, compositionally, it's a great record.

'Love Tower of Power as well, man! I've heard most of their stuff in the car with my dad, but I've specifically sought after a couple of their records too. Soul With A Capital S is one of the songs I've heard most often, mostly because I was assigned it by my drum teacher. :D But, yeah, they're definitely pioneers when it comes to horn sections. We wouldn't have half the stuff Cory Wong and his horn section's come out with if it wasn't for them.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #33,804 of 40,686
are you not able to notice? Easiest way for me to pick it out is listen for air around vocals, it feels like there’s an actual person singing in your ear with their breath touching you lol.

Oh I do hear it... it's just hard to objectively separate everything in my head :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, Island on P6Pro sounds wonderfully smooth. I'm thikning your dual Ti DAPs aren't helping either. Do you have something else to try?

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #33,805 of 40,686
Oh I do hear it... it's just hard to objectively separate everything in my head :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, Island on P6Pro sounds wonderfully smooth. I'm thikning your dual Ti DAPs aren't helping either. Do you have something else to try?

max ti has a really smooth presentation in general, but I tried it with paw S1 which I consider on the warm side as well. N6ii is out for repair 😭

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #33,806 of 40,686
Some EE love…. To cool things down. I love EE’s tuning and how they tune their upper mids. Should get EVO on Monday and another pair of Odin incoming which has faceplates I adore… crazy I know….

A48DDFEF-300C-4A44-BF73-4312D65DB9B4.jpeg
AF79AB03-76E4-4F33-8D2D-0C342D630DB0.jpeg
FCE0830D-D418-4291-887B-EEB45D19F7D1.jpeg
48B007BC-19C7-48A5-9D31-B775E141A39A.jpeg

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #33,807 of 40,686
It's possible to do it with a more polite tone, though. 'Just sayin'. :)

No argument from me about tone, I try and pursue the middle way.

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #33,809 of 40,686
Collected my customised LX, and straight off the bat, how I miss its bass. If I were to liken to my experiences with alcohol, listening with Lx is akin to drinking aged whiskey whereas with Evo, it’s like a tequila shot… both oh so satisfying.

Update: I’m not shy of sharing my boo boos - I asked where are the silicone ear tips, to which I was educated that ciems do not require them. I was like both 😲 and 🤣. I got schooled! Haha

Attachments

• 271AFFFD-DFEF-4614-A174-3D71AD92BC48.jpeg
    271AFFFD-DFEF-4614-A174-3D71AD92BC48.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #33,810 of 40,686
Collected my customised LX, and straight off the bat, how I miss its bass. If I were to like to my experiences with alcohol, listening with Lx is akin to drinking aged whiskey whereas with Evo, it’s like a tequila shot… both all so satisfying.
Gorgeous. You’re making me want my custom LX more! They should be here next week or so. I can’t wait. I saw the abalone being used for my faceplates and they may have to use mine for advertisement material 😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back