Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 26, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #456 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the "bass impact" that the Sm3's have compared to lets say TF10?? say in a rating out of 5. Thanks!

Depends on the tips.  If the TF10 is a 5, I can get the SM3 to be from a 2 (single flange) to an 8 (triple flange).

Quote:
Is there any significance on the SM3s using amplifiers? Because I read many threads saying it does not, but when I tried some on our local shop here like RSA Predator, there was an improvement on SQ (which tends to have boomy bass). I also tried Pico Slim, RSA Shadow and FiiO E5. Which amp is the best for you?

Did you try the Predator with the SM3?  And what did you compare it with?  In my experience the improvement is not in the amp, but in the DAC stage, and when using a better DAC path, say via line out, you need an amp.  The SM3 is the one IEM that the T3 sounded good with IMO :wink:

Quote:
^ From what I have read (and heard) portable amplifiers do make the SM3 sound better,  but the upgrade in SQ isn't worth the money. If you have ~$700-$800 to spend, why not go for customs?

The SM3 is very easy to drive, so an amp really isn't necessary unless you want to use a better portable DAC via line out.  But the EM3 Pro is a big upgrade over the SM3 in many ways (read my $1K headphone vs. customs review, which also compares the SM3 with the EM3 Pro).

Quote:
I got my SM3's today!  Thanks averagejoe for the review!  This reminds my car system I had.  Im glad I got this!

No problem, glad you are enjoying them.

8?!?!!? WOW holy jebus, I'm getting them!!! Can you tell me where I can get the Triple.flange tips for the SM3? or are they just the same ones that shure uses?

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #457 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the "bass impact" that the Sm3's have compared to lets say TF10?? say in a rating out of 5. Thanks!

Depends on the tips.  If the TF10 is a 5, I can get the SM3 to be from a 2 (single flange) to an 8 (triple flange).

8?!?!!? WOW holy jebus, I'm getting them!!! Can you tell me where I can get the Triple.flange tips for the SM3? or are they just the same ones that shure uses?

My triple flanges came with the Turbine Coppers.

Let me clarify the rating: Not everyone hears the SM3 as I do, and not everyone can use the triple flange tips.  All other tips give me somewhere around a 5 or less.  The sound signature of the two is very different, BTW.  It you want a closer frequency response with pretty much a guarantee you will have more and better bass, the FX700 is a great choice.

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #459 of 1,687
I used something like this to glue my SM3 back together.  Epoxies are very permanent and a little bit of the plastic weld will do the job quite well, as will most 2 part epoxies.  Super glue works also, but is not as permanent and can fog/discolor the plastic.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #460 of 1,687
It's really a shame that the build quality is not up to the sonic standards. I really love this IEM, it's my all-time favourite, beating the re-252 and the IE8 by quite a margin, but the build quality really cannot be compared to the Sennheiser for instance.
I still enjoy my other two phones sometimes, but on the go (and home too :D), there's nothing like the SM3.
I had the same problem (casing breaking in two pieces) and had to glue them. I used Superglue but as AverageJoe stated, it's not the best solution. I think that if the problem happens again, I will turn them into customs, but I have one issue: I'm using "homemade" filters, which give me a perfect balance and I don't know how the reshelling would affect the sound (plus which filter will they use?).
Time will tell, but until then, I'll enjoy my SM3 every single minute I have it in my ears
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #461 of 1,687

My triple flanges came with the Turbine Coppers.

Let me clarify the rating: Not everyone hears the SM3 as I do, and not everyone can use the triple flange tips.  All other tips give me somewhere around a 5 or less.  The sound signature of the two is very different, BTW.  It you want a closer frequency response with pretty much a guarantee you will have more and better bass, the FX700 is a great choice.

Is it fast enough though? I listen to like parkway drive, devildriver, underoath etc.

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #463 of 1,687

Quote:

Is it fast enough though? I listen to like parkway drive, devildriver, underoath etc.

While the FX700 isn't as fast as BAs, it, along with the RE252, are the fastest dynamics I have heard.  Here are my thoughts when I had both to compare:

Quote:
SM3 vs.

FX700:
Bass - FX700 has more bass and more bass reverb than the SM3. But to my ears the SM3 sounds accurate and the FX700 sounds a little uncontrolled. It is easier for me to make out the details in the bass with the SM3, and the SM3 has faster bass. The SM3 is warmer than the FX700 by a bit.
Mids - The SM3 mids make the FX700 mids sound somewhat recessed. This is because the SM3 has full mids and the FX700 presentation of the mids is more laid back.
Treble - The SM3 treble never sounds too much or too little, whereas the FX700 treble sounds like it is artificially boosted and lacks tonal accuracy.  The tonal accuracy of the FX700 doesn't really sound off until you compare with the SM3, as the emphasis can be skewed due to the comparatively compressed soundstage and boost, affecting the harmonics.  The SM3 treble is liquid, and while the FX700 treble does have much detail and is not sharp like the FX500, it lack s the liquid quality of the SM3. 
Soundstage - While the FX700 has nearly the same width as the SM3, the soundstage is comparatively flat front to back and top to bottom.
Transparency - The SM3 disappears more than the FX700, especially when there is a lot of bass and treble in songs.
Summary - The SM3 sounds more natural and balanced than the FX700 across the spectrum. The lower half of the FX700 is nice, but still not as detailed or controlled as the SM3.

If you don't have the SM3 to compare the FX700 with, it sounds plenty fast IMO! 

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. Not being very skillful at such things, I used a bit more glue than necessary I guess and so the plastic got stained a bit. Does this render the warranty void?

I would guess Franck would respect the warranty.  I did ask if gluing mine back together would void the warranty, which he said would not void the warranty.  He also had no problem fixing them himself if I sent them back, but I didn't want to wait or spend on shipping.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #465 of 1,687
Hi guys, I tried my sm3 for the first time today. I had a bit of difficulty when inserting them (I am blind and the housing just felt plain weird, a bit like the ie8 housing) but in the end it went ok, sinc eyou can only put them in one way when wearing over the ear so that the housing closes off the hwole ear. Really reminding me of the ie8 there. The fit with the standard silico ntips is a bit tight and the top of the iem presses on my ear at times but overall fit and seal (especially seal) is pretty good. They sound reasonably open although I still need to compare them to my fad. Soundstage is how I like it broadwise although I have not hyet been able to test depth. The bass is very nice, has nice impact but not too much, good for rock and pop. Guitars also sound good. Where my problem is is treble and midrange. High notes just dont come through as clearly and vocals (the most important part of the music for me) seem subdued, not neccessarily by the bass but because there is not as much treble sparkle. The iems just dont seem to be all that focussed on the midrange, while I think a headphone should grab my attention with its midrange and soundstage while not disappointing in the bass region. I will keep listening and try different sources (the t3d might not be ideal, that is what I am using now. Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back