Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 20, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #436 of 1,687

Quote:
Hey, The dacmagic is the heart of my home setup. So I would mostly use the stepdance there (the dacmagic nor my preamp neither my poweramp have a headphone output). I would only use the stepdance on the road if it would sound good with the iphone 4. Note that I dont have the sm3 yet, will be here in a few days. I only have the final audio design sb at this time as iem. Greetings, Anouk,

Let us know what you decide to get and how you like it!

Quote:
I know I'm posting this in the SM3 forum hence there will be a little bias, though I want to ask.

What made you guys choose the SM3 over the UM3x?

Thanks! any advice/suggestions would be great as one of these 2 IEM's will be my only purchase for the next 6 months! :O , I posted pretty much the same question like this in the UM3x appreciation thread. If you guys could help me out it'd be great!

I hear the SM3 as having a much more open and spacious sound compared to the UM3X.  Also, I thought the UM3X sounded a little boring vs. the SM3.  I know a few people that feel the opposite, and some that don't like either :wink:  I don't know why, but I hear all the Westone products as having a constricted soundstage, but other than that they are good products.  However, I prefer spacious sound over just about all other qualities, for example I chose the IE8 over the W3.  

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #437 of 1,687
The descriptions i read of the umx3 having recessed treble , small soundstage and very forward midrange/vocals sounded very unnatural to me while the descriptions of the sm3 sounded much more exceptable .

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #438 of 1,687
I think the difference between UM3X and SM3 is actually very small, but the SM3 has that little something extra that the UM3X lacks and that is more cohesion and emotion. Technically, both are awesome, but SM3 is both technically and musically awesome, whereas UM3X is only technically awesome, while musically just OK.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #439 of 1,687

I chose to sell the UM3X mainly due to the smaller and constricted sound-stage, otherwise they sound very similar, not worth mentioning details, because I feel that describing in words makes their differences much more apparent than they really are.
But as the Pianist said:

Quote:
SM3 is both technically and musically awesome, whereas UM3X is only technically awesome, while musically just OK.

I just see myself enjoying a wider variety of genres with the SM3 than with the UM3X.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #440 of 1,687
Hi again, Well I have changed my mind about future (portable) amp. I want to get either the p51 mustang or the shadow (not yet sure what the differences are) because these dont have the hassle with removing or externally charging batteries. I was wondering if anyone has heard the sm3 through either the stealth or the shadow and what your impressions are? Do they complement synergize well with each other? Thanks in advance, Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #441 of 1,687

Quote:
Hi again, Well I have changed my mind about future (portable) amp. I want to get either the p51 mustang or the shadow (not yet sure what the differences are) because these dont have the hassle with removing or externally charging batteries. I was wondering if anyone has heard the sm3 through either the stealth or the shadow and what your impressions are? Do they complement synergize well with each other? Thanks in advance, Greetings, Anouk,

I borrowed a friends Mustang and Shadow for about two months each.  While they were both nice, I think they Arrow outperformed both.  The Shadow, if I remember correctly, is mid forward (as is the Mustang, but not as much), which I would imagine wouldn't be the best match with the SM3.  Again, if I remember correctly, the Shadow paired well with the TF10, which sounds mid-recessed to me, but I didn't think it paired well for my taste with my other IEMs.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #443 of 1,687
Is there any significance on the SM3s using amplifiers? Because I read many threads saying it does not, but when I tried some on our local shop here like RSA Predator, there was an improvement on SQ (which tends to have boomy bass). I also tried Pico Slim, RSA Shadow and FiiO E5. Which amp is the best for you?

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #444 of 1,687
^ From what I have read (and heard) portable amplifiers do make the SM3 sound better,  but the upgrade in SQ isn't worth the money. If you have ~$700-$800 to spend, why not go for customs?

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #446 of 1,687
I am also on to a Custom Route right now, but that's another story.

I always like the idea of bringing along a universal IEMs because most of all they can be shared to some of my curious friends, with/without amp...and encourage them to try IEMs or better headphones, than those famous commercial headphones like Beats or Bose in most of the Audioshops here. Well not that I like to flash my gear but it's better that you have friends that can appreciate better equipment along the way to the office or to other places. It's just me that I can't share any customs EIMs so far.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #447 of 1,687
And so far I am really impressed with SM3 right now and I want them to try them out too, given with an amp for the SM3s will be better.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #450 of 1,687

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the "bass impact" that the Sm3's have compared to lets say TF10?? say in a rating out of 5. Thanks!

Depends on the tips.  If the TF10 is a 5, I can get the SM3 to be from a 2 (single flange) to an 8 (triple flange).

Quote:
Is there any significance on the SM3s using amplifiers? Because I read many threads saying it does not, but when I tried some on our local shop here like RSA Predator, there was an improvement on SQ (which tends to have boomy bass). I also tried Pico Slim, RSA Shadow and FiiO E5. Which amp is the best for you?

Did you try the Predator with the SM3?  And what did you compare it with?  In my experience the improvement is not in the amp, but in the DAC stage, and when using a better DAC path, say via line out, you need an amp.  The SM3 is the one IEM that the T3 sounded good with IMO :wink:

Quote:
^ From what I have read (and heard) portable amplifiers do make the SM3 sound better,  but the upgrade in SQ isn't worth the money. If you have ~$700-$800 to spend, why not go for customs?

The SM3 is very easy to drive, so an amp really isn't necessary unless you want to use a better portable DAC via line out.  But the EM3 Pro is a big upgrade over the SM3 in many ways (read my $1K headphone vs. customs review, which also compares the SM3 with the EM3 Pro).

Quote:
I got my SM3's today!  Thanks averagejoe for the review!  This reminds my car system I had.  Im glad I got this!

No problem, glad you are enjoying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back