Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #422 of 1,687
I just listened to Keiko Matsui's "When She Prays to the Wind" with my Ortofon e-Q5 and I must say that the SM3 sounded significantly better with this song. Very much technically superior - smoother, richer, more detailed, more 3D, more involving. The e-Q5 sounds a bit simplistic and boxy by comparison. (sigh) Makes me miss my SM3 now.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #423 of 1,687

Ah man, I coulda told you that would be the case - if the e-Q5 is anything like the e-Q7 music will sound like it's in a shoebox compared to the SM3.

Quote:
I just listened to Keiko Matsui's "When She Prays to the Wind" with my Ortofon e-Q5 and I must say that the SM3 sounded significantly better with this song. Very much technically superior - smoother, richer, more detailed, more 3D, more involving. The e-Q5 sounds a bit simplistic and boxy by comparison. (sigh) Makes me miss my SM3 now.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #424 of 1,687

i know .. i realy like the "mild shore" but still .. any1 here tried the sm3 with an amp and experienced a better and enjoyable sound quality?

I agree with the others, I have tried my SM3 with my desktop amp and my portable amp. While amps will change the sound a bit they don't make the sound better really. Unlike other headphones and IEM's I have owned so you can save your money in this case.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #425 of 1,687
Amps don't help the SM3, but the SM3 does benefit from a better DAC signal, which in my case requires an amp from some of my sources (iPod line out).  The SM3 was the one IEM that could make the T3 compete with higher end amps.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #426 of 1,687
Wow, the high driver of my right SM2 is just dead. Listening to FR sweeps, I don't hear any sound above approx 12k with my right piece.

I don't have any warranty...... what should I do...
eek.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #427 of 1,687

Quote:
Hi everyone, Well I got the ibasso t3d now and I also bought the sm3 which should arrive in a few days. Joe, you really got me interested in the 601. I think i did read a while back on the site that it has more bass then its bigger brothers so it might be the best choice for me. So far (i have not been able to connect it to my dacmagic yet) i am a bit disappointed with the t3d ibasso amp. It does not sound as immediate as impactful as just my iphone, it lacks a bit of bass and a bit of sharpness (trebble). Greetings, Anouk,

What are you feeding the T3 with?  One of the issues I had with the T3 was it seemed to have bass rolloff with some of my sources, but not all (the USB-DAC-Cable for sure, as I could not use the 2 together).  And while I love the 601, I sent mine back since there is a whining noise with my high sensitivity IEMs (all of my IEMs, pretty much) and Fang said it shouldn't be there.  I will see what happens.  However, I do prefer the SM3 from my iPod line out (it is a modded iPod).  The SM3 does do well straight from the headphone out of most players, and unless a line out is much better (my iPhone line out vs. HPO really isn't an improvement), it is not necessary IMO.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #428 of 1,687

Quote:
Wow, the high driver of my right SM2 is just dead. Listening to FR sweeps, I don't hear any sound above approx 12k with my right piece.

I don't have any warranty...... what should I do...
eek.gif

Email Franck and ask him how much it will cost for service.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #430 of 1,687
Hi Joe, I fed the t3d with an iphone 4 as source (via ibasso lod) i preferred just the iphone 4. I also tried it with my dacmagic at home via a mini to rca cable and was also not too impressed, I guess my standards are set too high after the d12, but i just would have needed it at home where I already have a dac (the dacmagic). I am now thinking of buying the stepdance for home use or a dedicated home amp around the seem price, although I dont think that can be had. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #432 of 1,687

Quote:
Hi Joe, I fed the t3d with an iphone 4 as source (via ibasso lod) i preferred just the iphone 4. I also tried it with my dacmagic at home via a mini to rca cable and was also not too impressed, I guess my standards are set too high after the d12, but i just would have needed it at home where I already have a dac (the dacmagic). I am now thinking of buying the stepdance for home use or a dedicated home amp around the seem price, although I dont think that can be had. Greetings, Anouk,

Hmm, the iPhone 4 HPO better than the T3?  I guess I could see that being true (LOD quality also matters, as my LODs use silver wire).  The Stepdance is B  a great amp, especially for home use.  An even bigger step up, at least for use with your iPhone, is the EM3 Pro which adds power, clarity, and a better upper frequency spectrum.  But that still doesn't fix your amp problem with the dacmagic.  Actually, there are many ebay DIY amps for around $100 (give or take) that are much better than the T3 according to people I know.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #433 of 1,687
Hey, The dacmagic is the heart of my home setup. So I would mostly use the stepdance there (the dacmagic nor my preamp neither my poweramp have a headphone output). I would only use the stepdance on the road if it would sound good with the iphone 4. Note that I dont have the sm3 yet, will be here in a few days. I only have the final audio design sb at this time as iem. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #434 of 1,687
I know I'm posting this in the SM3 forum hence there will be a little bias, though I want to ask.

What made you guys choose the SM3 over the UM3x?

Thanks! any advice/suggestions would be great as one of these 2 IEM's will be my only purchase for the next 6 months! :O , I posted pretty much the same question like this in the UM3x appreciation thread. If you guys could help me out it'd be great!

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #435 of 1,687
For me it was the descriptions of the sense of big space, smooth yet detailed highs, and fantastic weighty bass for an armature IEM. I had recalled that the UM3X was described as more of an analytical IEM by comparison, with an unnaturally forward vocal presentation. 

...and I concur on the SM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back