Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 27, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #481 of 1,687

Quote:
Hi, I dont really believe in eqing stuff and it isnt often possible for me anyway since I use spotify. I also dont believe i nmoving filters since it is impossible for me anyway and I think it would void the warranty. But it is also a principle for me. Iems are designed a certain way by their manufacturer. If that certain way does not sound good to me than thets just it. I am also rather skeptikal about brain burn in because I havent really found that working ofr me and I cant really imagine that a headphone with udnerstated mids for me will suddenly after a while totally grab me by its midrange and make me get lost in them. Also, Why would i go along this venue when i HAVE an iem around htat does mids just right for me... Also I dont like the feel of the sm3 cable and they are always a bit uncomfortable for me and it always takes a while to put them in. I do like their soundstage but as said before soundstage, while being quite important tome comes AFTER midrange. Greetings, Anouk,

That's a rather rigid way of thinking. In the real world, if you can do something to make something more favorable, you do it. Who cares what the manufacturers intended? I mean, are you listening to music through headphones, or through the factories? Kinda hard to stuff all of those robots and hard working folks into your ears, don'tcha think? Anyways, I hope you'll have better luck with your next IEM purchase. Seems like you might want to look into those W4's.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #482 of 1,687
I strongly disagrea that this should be a rigid way of thinking. EQing is just not possible for me most of the time and I fail to see why I should do it if there is a good alternative available. I did read about the w4 but dont think they are my hting. I am looking into the new atrios though. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #483 of 1,687

Quote:
I strongly disagrea that this should be a rigid way of thinking. EQing is just not possible for me most of the time and I fail to see why I should do it if there is a good alternative available. I did read about the w4 but dont think they are my hting. I am looking into the new atrios though. Greetings, Anouk,

I certainly do not suggest that all of a sudden you will get to like the mids of the SM3. All I'm saying is that you might appreciate this style of mids, too, if you give it time. You don't believe in brain-burn-in, but have you considered that your brain is already pre-burnt-in by your previous IEM (so to speak), and that's what's making you enjoy the SM3 less. I have to remind you that many people in this forum grew to loving their SM3s when initially they disliked it.

I also have to remind you, on a separate level, that I had warned you about the SM3-Iphone combo not being a good one, since SM3 demands some EQing - at least it does for me. I think a very neutral IEM has a better chance fitting your Iphone... 

Anyway, I hope you find what suits you best...  

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #484 of 1,687
Hi, I did not use the iphone as the only source though. I also and mostly used my pc via usb to dacmagic and then via rca to mini to the ibasso t3d. I guess that I might eventually come to appreciate the mids on the sm3, the rest of the sound certainly is beautiful but I doubt if I ever would prefer it over other iems. I am still looking into the em3pro customs though although I did email Franck of future sonics to see what THEIR midrange is like. I like the way the sm3 presents its soundstage. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #485 of 1,687
I'm definitely with you on midrange before soundstage, btw. I don't care if I could literally bring the concert with me anywhere I go - if the midrange isn't right, then it's a deal breaker. I couldn't stand the sm3's stock midrange, either. That said, I hear absolutely no flaw whatsoever in my EQed sm3's mids. I'm enjoying them even while my ears are hurting from the wire stress relief thingie. It's pressing against my outer ear. It hurts even after just 10 minutes of listening, and I'm still loving the EQed sound (after hours of listening). That should say a lot. I'm sorry that you don't have the option to EQ, Anouk, but to whoever else that owns the sm3, you may surprise yourself by how much more balanced sounding the sm3 can be just by removing a couple decibels from the low frequencies; and without sacrifice any other aspects of the sound. Now... to find a solution for the ouchie fit. Maybe I should try wearing it differently.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #486 of 1,687

Quote:
I'm definitely with you on midrange before soundstage, btw. I don't care if I could literally bring the concert with me anywhere I go - if the midrange isn't right, then it's a deal breaker. I couldn't stand the sm3's stock midrange, either. That said, I hear absolutely no flaw whatsoever in my EQed sm3's mids. I'm enjoying them even while my ears are hurting from the wire stress relief thingie. It's pressing against my outer ear. It hurts even after just 10 minutes of listening, and I'm still loving the EQed sound (after hours of listening). That should say a lot. I'm sorry that you don't have the option to EQ, Anouk, but to whoever else that owns the sm3, you may surprise yourself by how much more balanced sounding the sm3 can be just by removing a couple decibels from the low frequencies; and without sacrifice any other aspects of the sound. Now... to find a solution for the ouchie fit. Maybe I should try wearing it differently.
ksc75smile.gif

It used to start hurting my ear after only a short time in the beginning, but in a couple of weeks it got more comfortable (or I got used to it), so now it starts hurting after 90-120 minutes. Then I give my ears a break. 10 minutes later they are good to go again.   

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #489 of 1,687
I tried yesterday comparing both the TF10 and the SM3 in our Audioshop and IMO SM3 still wins in Bass. I am using a stock double-flange for my SM3 (since my ear opening is slightly small) and stock tips for the TF10.

I remember though there SQ is very different in terms of presentation: TF10 is brighter and less reverb in bass. But It is still a good alternative IEM for me (maybe because they were already on sale when I got there; so I purchased one).

I tried also Monster MD, Copper, and IE8; and I remembered them to have a slighter/more bass than my SM3, and the presentation is not for me. I think the bass in SM3 is the right bass for me.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #490 of 1,687
First time I heard the SM3, i loathe it. Maybe I am not into the warm presentation of this IEM. There are a lot of IEMs that I tried like Westone 3, UM3X, IE8, Monsters IEMs, Shure 535..etc. But still bought the SM3s, encouraged by the guys here in Headfi to try it, got accustomed to it and never regret it.

Jan 28, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #491 of 1,687
Hi, After a bit of a cooling off period after my first listening session with the sm3, i just put hem in again. I must say that I REALLY idg their soundstage, fairly wide and deep but especially the 3d way in which instruments are put in the mix. This is really the first iem that I hear do this, instruments really sound in front, on the left and on the right and others that need to be are perfectly centered. It truly sounds as a complete image. Isolation is also pretty good for me and even though they are still a bit uncomfortable at least they dont fall out. If the midrange had been a tiny bit more forward, there had been a bit more treble energy these would have been the perfect universals for me. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #492 of 1,687
I haven't posted on this thread in a while, so I thought I'd post an update. I was pretty unsatisfied with my SM3's for a long time until someone let me know that maybe the xin amp I was using with them wasn't the best choice since it's on the dark/warm side. Sure enough, going straight from my iPhone 4 with no EQ they sound a lot better... suddenly the highs are there again and I'm loving the sound. Duh. I'm also using them with my new Furutech GT40 dac/preamp/headphone amp and the combo is fantastic. 

Gary

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #494 of 1,687
Will be atleast 2 more weeks before I get one! can't wait, first time I got the TF10s i was so happy but now when I start looking for those sonic imperfections it's definitely there, gah head-fi...

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #495 of 1,687
SM3 demands a good fit. With a bad fit, it can sound all wrong - muffled, muddy, compressed. Just horrible. But with the right fit, SM3 is amazing - super balanced, super detailed, very clear, super refined, just super everything. For a great sound with no need for a great fit, I recommend e-Q7. It still sounds awesome, even when the seal is not perfect and personally I very much prefer it to SM3 for that reason. With the e-Q7, you can just stick them in and go. With the SM3 this ain't gonna work - you will need to fiddle a lot with the position of them in your ears and with different tips, which is a big pain in the a*s when using them as portables. I ended up using my SM3 mostly at home where I could really sit down and adjust the fit properly. But since IEMs are meant to be portable headphones and I have my FA-003 cans for home use, I just couldn't justify keeping the SM3 at the end and sold them. I think that if you get custom tips for them, the may become great portable 'phones, but with stock tips, the sound changes too much with fit to make these a convenient plug-n-play portable solution IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back