Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Jan 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #497 of 1,687
There is someone that turned them into customs.  I can't recall if they posted in the first or second SM3 thread, but they also compared with a stock SM3.  They didn't say much about the change.  I have custom sleeves from Earsonics and they do improve some things such as space, but they added thickness compared with my triple flange tips (which I could get a perfect fit with every time, unlike Pianist it seems).  I ended up using a dremel to increase the bore diameter of the custom sleeves, which opened up the treble more resulting in a more balanced sound.  Technically, they are better than regular tips, but still a little warmer.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #499 of 1,687
That's why I don't wholeheartedly recommend the custom sleeves, as the warmth compared with many silicon tips I have tried is not my preference.  It's best to just get the EM3 Pro IMO 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #500 of 1,687

etysmile.gif

Quote:

Quote:
When I first got my UE11s and then JH16s I struggled a bit with getting them in and out -- resulting in occasional soreness and inflammation.  When I went in for a refit, they showed me how to rotate them in and now I have no problems getting them in and out.  Lets see if I can describe it, maybe that will help you guys who are using Oto Ease and similar products. 

For the right ear you put the pokey part that goes inside your ear against the ear, with earpiece rotated so its facing toward the back of your head.  If you were looking at the ear, the top of your head being noon and the flat part of the earpiece being the dial, then you will have the pokey part at 9:00. Then, while applying light pressure, you rotate the earpiece down and forward (that would be counter-clockwise (toward 6:00) to somebody looking at your ear) so that the pokey part just slides right into your ear along the groove painlessly.  This will be easier if you open your mouth slightly first. Removing you simply rotate it in the opposite direction after you get it far enough out that you have a firm grip on it.  Left ear is same idea.

I wish I had known this technique a long time ago so I'm hoping this is useful to somebody here!

Best fitting result for me by using the above method (Earsonics SM3; custom earmolds), always had troubles. Not positioned over the ear as intended but can practice on that later.
Thank you!! Was already considering selling my high end iem but I'll certainly reconsider that now. 

EDIT: Someone also posted video in the other thread:

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/support/faq (starts at 1:30)

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #502 of 1,687
So the soundstage got bigger with the reshell.  Good to know just in case my SM3 cracks in half.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #506 of 1,687
Hi again everyone, Because, the to me, rolled off treble of the sm3 I am more or less forced to turn them up rather loud (for me at least, normally i listen at quit elow levels) to get the most from the midrange. I did indeed notice a big difference with some fiddling with the iems. Normally I insert my iems as deeply as I can but this certainly is not a good idea witht he sm3 cause it makes them sound more muffled then they normally do and decreases soundstage. Now, when I pull them in I always pull them out a bit. I am not sure if fiddling with the default tips would make a difference because I think there is a good seal but I will try tomorrow barring the comply tips. Reshelling seems like an option, i dont see much use in custom tips, i would rather then go the whole way, depending on how expensive it is of course and who can do it. Would certainly be cheaper then going custom, especially where I am located since I am not sure if I would end up with the em3pro. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #507 of 1,687
Although the sm3 is not flush with my earlobe anymore it does hurt less now that I dont insert it all the way anymore. I do notice that if I put in iems that i often have to sort of pop open my left earto start listening, I am not sure if this is earwax (since putting pressure within my mouth while holding my nose closed fixes it). Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #508 of 1,687
i'm comparing it to the stock bi-flanges. sorry i don't have the sensorcom tips and i really don't like the comply tips. Technically, to my ears i found the reshell is identical to the stock SM3 with the bi-flanges. I love the mid and the bass on the SM3, and they are still there. The added soundstage, I think more or less, is due to the custom fit. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #509 of 1,687
I've been playing around with EQ for several hours, now. In all honesty, due to my own tastes, if I couldn't EQ these cans I'd very likely return/sell them. I keep comparing the stock sound to the EQ sound over and over for hours, and came to the conclusion that warm sounding headphones are not for me. Buy these if you love excellent separation, extension (on both ends), rich details and killer soundstage - and a warm sound whose midbass-to-lowmid is about 4 dB above flat neutral through the uDAC. Buy these if you love excellent separation, extension, rich details and killer ss, and a flat-as-a-pancake response (as I just now discovered that I do) - but are not apprehensive of EQ. At the moment, I have no desire to upgrade as I did with the re0 which sounded cramped in and relatively anemic. I'm going from audio memory, because I accidentally ruined my re0 around 10 days ago. Still remember its characteristics quite well. For me, it was a two-week's allowance well spent...
oh crap, now everyone knows how little I make. Oh well...
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back